Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I am happy you found the information useful.

You do ask a really good questions regarding Path of the Trolls from either Molde or Ålesund.

You are right. It is the same destination but not the same route.

From Molde the tour would either cross the Romsdalsfjord to Vestnes and drive along the fjord towards Åndalsnes and The Path of the Trolls or do a long detour in/out of the Romsdalsfjord.

My personal favorite is the drive from Ålesund to the Path. This because you will drive along the Storfjord (part of the main fjord to/from Geiranger) pass and drive through the village and valley of Valldal with possible stop at the viewpoint Flydalsjuvet (its an amazing gorge).

IMO the nature and experience is better during the tour from Ålesund.

I would recommend the Lysefjord and Pulpit tour. Much because Lysefjord is very different than the other Norwegian fjords. Its more rugged and it reminds me of some of the fjords in Alaska. I think its very interesting to see.

It is possible to do the sightseeing to Lysefjord by private companies.

Some of those offering tours are:

http://fjordcruise.norled.no/RoundTripGroups.aspx?id=3010&utm_source=Fiskepirterminalen&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Trafikk%20fiskepirterminalen

http://www.rodne.no/en/

As I am not sure when you are visiting Stavanger these tour departures might not be good for you as some of the tours will not start before June.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Lars

Lars, thank you so much for your prompt reply! I was thinking of booking the excursion from Molde, only because Alesund seems to be a more interesting town to explore. But if I book the Alesund trip, I am left with a new question: what do do in Molde? Celebrity's offerings (Atlantic Road, Haholmen, Molde Folk Museum) don't really excite me.

We will be in Stavanger June 16 from 7 AM to 5 PM.

Anne

Lars, thank you so much for your prompt reply! I was thinking of booking the excursion from Molde, only because Alesund seems to be a more interesting town to explore. But if I book the Alesund trip, I am left with a new question: what do do in Molde? Celebrity's offerings (Atlantic Road, Haholmen, Molde Folk Museum) don't really excite me.

We will be in Stavanger June 16 from 7 AM to 5 PM.

Anne

Anne - In Stavanger you would take a sightseeing boat leaving at approx 12 noon and make it back to the pier for 3 pm. If you would like to diy that is:)

The Atlantic Rd. is very spectacular. It is voted the best road trip by The Guardian newspaper.

The road is also voted the "Norwegian Construction of the Century".

Its not a long road, about 5 miles but it is sure to wow you.

I have done the road twice and kept driving back and forth the bridges as I loved it so much. We also stopped by one of the bridges to have a pick nick lunch.

The drive to/from The Atlantic Road is also spectacular.

I suppose you stop at the little quaint settlement of Bud.

I am sure you will enjoy the Atlantic Road.

With doing the Path of the Trolls from Ålesund and the Atlantic Road from Molde you will for sure have a hard time picking your "cruise highlights".

http://www.theatlanticroad.com/

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi-- we are renting a car and planning a loop route from Alesund to Alesund. After reaching Adalsnes, we would like to drive the Highway 63 to the 650, then take the 650 until it connects to E39 / 136. Is this a good route? Google maps keeps making us retrace our route on the Trollstigen, rather than completing a loop, so we want to make sure there are drivable roads the entire way.

If you have any suggestions for stops along the way, we'd love to have them. What do you think of the Sunnmore Museum?

Thanks so much. Really appreciate all your advice on this thread!

Hi-- we are renting a car and planning a loop route from Alesund to Alesund. After reaching Adalsnes, we would like to drive the Highway 63 to the 650, then take the 650 until it connects to E39 / 136. Is this a good route? Google maps keeps making us retrace our route on the Trollstigen, rather than completing a loop, so we want to make sure there are drivable roads the entire way.

If you have any suggestions for stops along the way, we'd love to have them. What do you think of the Sunnmore Museum?

Thanks so much. Really appreciate all your advice on this thread!

Hi there - The loop is a wonderful drive with lots of scenery. I am sure you will have a fantastic day doing this loop.

If you type in Valldal - Trollstigen - Åndalsnes - Vestnes - Sjøholt - Ålesund I believe google will calculate the loop drive for you.

Or type in Ålesund - Valldal - Trollstigen - Åndalsnes. Then for the return route type Åndalsnes - Vestnes - Sjøholt - Ålesund.

However, since Trolltigen is closed for the winter(it will open sometime in May) Google will not calculate the Valldal to Trollstigen for you. At least I was not able to do so when I tried.

Places you must stop at along the way are:

Gudbrandsjuvet a few miles after passing Valldal.

Stop and purchase fresh strawberries or raspberries from the street side stalls driving from Valldal towards Gudbrandsjuvet.

You should also conciser stopping at the Trollveggen (the Mt. Trollwall). Its a small detour before you head towards Åndalsnes.

The mountain is the largest vertical wall in Europe and it is very impressive.

On the drive there are plenty of little places where you can stop and take photos. They are dotted along the route so its easy to find.

Sunnmøre Museum - Is a nice place to spend an hour or so when the weather is nice. The open air museum has houses/farms etc from the region and you can see how people lived way back then.

Lars

Lars, Would you recommend the kayak/shelf farm hike through Coastal Odyssey in Greinger? The hop on/off bus sounds great too, but unfortunately I only have time to do one! :-(

I suppose this is the tours you are asking about?

The Mountain Ledge farm of Skageflå or Knivsflå

A day of paddling with a short hike to stretch your legs. We explore the jade green waters of Geiranger fjord and admire the thundering waterfalls as our sea kayaks glide towards the trailhead leading to our chosen farm. Stretching our legs on the short hike (20-30 min.) up to the farm, the highlights are numerous as we take in the breath taking views of the fjord below. Expect to be out 4 – 5 hours.

The Mountain Ledge Farm - Price: (Per Person)

Adults: (ages 13 and over) Kr. 1 050,- Children: (ages 12 and younger) Kr. 850,-

Paddle & Hike Skageflå-Geiranger

Our sea kayaks glide through the emerald green waters of Geiranger fjord on our way to the trailhead leading to Skageflå (Geiranger's most famous mountain ledge farm). After visiting the old farm buildings at Skageflå we set out on foot back to the village of Geiranger, the highlights include breath taking views as we climb to over 500 meters above the fjord. Expect to be out 5 – 6 hours.

Paddle & Hike Skageflå-Geiranger – Price: (Per Person)

Adults: (ages 13 and over) Kr. 1 250,- Children: (ages 12 and younger) Kr. 1 000,-

You must love kayaking and hiking since you ask about this tour?

If you do this will be an amazing day. Not many have the opportunity to see the fjord from the farm of Skageflå/Knivsflå. The path from the fjord up to the farm is very steep and very narrow. You will have to be in good physical form to do this as I will label it as strenuous.

I have walked back from the farm of Skageflå to the village and its an amazing tour. The hike back takes approx 3 hours. Its strenuous because of the length of the tour but the path is comfortable.

Whichever tour you choose you will see and experience the area from a very different perspective and you will be part of the nature as maybe on the hop on/off bus you will "only" be a spectator... I am sure you will enjoy the kayaking/hike more.

http://www.coastalodyssey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

Thanks for the info and advice! I am an avid kayaker and hiker, so I think this sounds great! I'm a little worried it might be rainy because of the unpredictable weather. I have kayaked a lot in the rain, but others in my group may not be as cool with it :-) We have to book in advance, so we can't factor in any weather forecasts.

Thanks for the info and advice! I am an avid kayaker and hiker, so I think this sounds great! I'm a little worried it might be rainy because of the unpredictable weather. I have kayaked a lot in the rain, but others in my group may not be as cool with it :-) We have to book in advance, so we can't factor in any weather forecasts.

You are welcome. Since you an avid hiker and kayaker this will be an amazing tour for you.

You never know about the weather in this part of the world. I would think the organizer might change the tour if the weather is to rainy and cloudy.

Whatever you choose to do I would really like to hear how your day turned out when you get back from your cruise.

When are you going and on which ship?

Normally (whatever that means when it comes to the weather patterns these days:D) Mid to late May is warmer. The spring will be in full bloom. Early May can still be cold with temps in the mid/high 40Fs and its known to snow occasionally.

Most of the tours will still be the same. Many tour companies will not start before early June.

The tourist routes of Trollstigen/Path of the trolls, Mt. Dalsnibba would most likely be closed early to mid May. The opening of these roads all depends on how much snow we get during the summer. So far this winter we`ve had hardly any snow and if it continues like this the roads would open early. Still, its 3 more moths of winter.

The opening of these roads are posted online and I will post it here as soon as I know:)

The waterfalls will be at its most spectacular in May due to the snow melting in the mountains.

Any news on whether the Trollstigen or Mt. Dalsnibba tours will be open for the 7 May docking of the HAL Ryndam? We'd like to do a private tour, but wonder about the weather. We'd like to have the flexibility to plan the Trollstigen or Mt. Dalsnibba or maybe both? Is that doable? We are in port 8am until 4pm. But also the flexibility to change that out if the weather is such that we wouldn't see anything. Is that right that we wouldn't see anything if the weather is rainy/cloudy/misty/foggy?

Any news on whether the Trollstigen or Mt. Dalsnibba tours will be open for the 7 May docking of the HAL Ryndam? We'd like to do a private tour, but wonder about the weather. We'd like to have the flexibility to plan the Trollstigen or Mt. Dalsnibba or maybe both? Is that doable? We are in port 8am until 4pm. But also the flexibility to change that out if the weather is such that we wouldn't see anything. Is that right that we wouldn't see anything if the weather is rainy/cloudy/misty/foggy?

No news yet. I will update this thread as soon as I know.

It is not very likely the roads will be open for May 7.

Where are you docking?? Ålesund?

You will not have time to visit both and you will be pushed to do any of those in the time frame you mention.

Lars,

We are going to visit Iceland, and Norway this July, I have been thinking about what currency to take with us !

Would taking Euro's, give us a problem when we are in Norway ?

Many thanks in advance.

John

John - Your best option is to take NOK (Norwegian Krone) and Icelandic Krona (for Iceland)

Some shops will take Euros but you will get a really terrible rate.

I would suggest to change into the respective currencies before you go or withdraw from an atm in Norway/Iceland.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Lars

No news yet. I will update this thread as soon as I know.

It is not very likely the roads will be open for May 7.

Where are you docking?? Ålesund?

You will not have time to visit both and you will be pushed to do any of those in the time frame you mention.

Regarding opening of the road to Mt. Dalsnibba.

As late as this afternoon I heard the road up to lake Djupvatnet is now cleared for snow and ready to be opened.

The road from lake Djupvatnet and up to Mt. Dalsnibba is not being cleared for snow, yet.

But, since so much of the snow has been cleared already it is a very good chance the road will open up earlier than previous years.

Fingers crossed and stay tuned:)

Lars

John - Your best option is to take NOK (Norwegian Krone) and Icelandic Krona (for Iceland)

Some shops will take Euros but you will get a really terrible rate.

I would suggest to change into the respective currencies before you go or withdraw from an atm in Norway/Iceland.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Lars

Lars- thank you for your speedy reply, I will be taking your advice.

looking forward to seeing your country close up.

John

Lars,

Thanks so much for checking this for us. We're quite excited to be visiting your beautiful part of the world. Our itinerary takes us to Bergen on 5 May, followed by Geiranger, then Alesund, and then Eidfjord on 8 May before heading back to Dover, UK.

If you have any suggestions for what might be unique to see in early May (maybe the waterfalls are more spectacular or the wild flowers have changed the whole landscape of a certain area or something), we'd love to share it with our fellow travelers. We will not be able to walk or hike for more than about a mile at a time. (Like we could walk a mile and then have a 1 hour lunch and then walk a bit more.) Especially to do that multiple days in a row. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Some ideas we are considering is taking the Hop on Hop off bus in Bergen and in Alesund; taking the Funicular up if it is a good day. Will the Hop on Hop off buses and Funicular be open in early May?

Our cruise includes some time cruising Geirangerfjord and Hardangerfjord. We were wondering if a separate boat tour would be a good idea? When we are closer to the water, we might get to see wildlife closer? Or maybe we would go to a different area that the ship will not be visiting?

Thanks so much for your help!

Lars,

Thanks so much for checking this for us. We're quite excited to be visiting your beautiful part of the world. Our itinerary takes us to Bergen on 5 May, followed by Geiranger, then Alesund, and then Eidfjord on 8 May before heading back to Dover, UK.

If you have any suggestions for what might be unique to see in early May (maybe the waterfalls are more spectacular or the wild flowers have changed the whole landscape of a certain area or something), we'd love to share it with our fellow travelers. We will not be able to walk or hike for more than about a mile at a time. (Like we could walk a mile and then have a 1 hour lunch and then walk a bit more.) Especially to do that multiple days in a row. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Some ideas we are considering is taking the Hop on Hop off bus in Bergen and in Alesund; taking the Funicular up if it is a good day. Will the Hop on Hop off buses and Funicular be open in early May?

Our cruise includes some time cruising Geirangerfjord and Hardangerfjord. We were wondering if a separate boat tour would be a good idea? When we are closer to the water, we might get to see wildlife closer? Or maybe we would go to a different area that the ship will not be visiting?

Thanks so much for your help!

In early May cruising the fjords you will see snow capped mountains. The waterfalls will be large and full of water as the snow melting will be in full force. As we have had a very mild winter this year the spring will be in full bloom when you are here. As a result nature will be green and lush.

Fingers crossed for nice and sunny weather.

There isn't much wildlife in the fjords. You might see some fish jumping but apart from that if you see something it will be by chance.

I love the quietness of the early mornings so its well worth getting up early to see the landscape as the ships glides towards its destination in the fjords.

Its quiet and the fjord will be like a mirror. You can literally hear the silence.

Your ship will cruise in/out the Geiranger/Synnylvs/Storfjord and Hardangerfjord so you will get a nice view of the waterfalls and farms perched on the mountainside.

I will only suggest taking a further tour on the fjord if you are interested to learn more about the settlement, the farms along the fjords, how they lived and conducted their life.

As May is still early season most tourist roads and sights/restaurants etc will be closed.

In Geiranger the hop on/off bus is a very good option as you will experience the highlights of Geiranger. As the tour is 90 minutes you will have time to walk around the village. Maybe walk to the old wooden church and the Fjord center.

link to booking online:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

If you want to do the fjord sightseeing in Geiranger the boat only has a 11:30 am guaranteed departure in May.

Lunch can be had at the restaurant "Brasserie Posten". Its situated by the pier close to the tourist information.

Also, another must is the chocolate shop. Further down the road is an interesting gallery. Its housed in an old school building.

In Ålesund the hop on/off bus is good if you would like to visit the Aksla viewpoint and the open air museum.

Its well worth a visit.

Ålesund is a very small and compact town so its easy to walk around.

You may also enjoy taking the tourist train.

http://www.bytoget.no/citytrain.html

Enjoyable walks include Brosundet - walking by the inner port by the "canal" - the pedestrian street of Kongens gate - Apotekergaten - Molo veien.

I include a google map of Ålesund which has a neat map and picture view.

https://www.google.no/maps/place/Hotel+Brosundet+AS/@62.4721495,6.1508337,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4616da38955f5a8b:0xd938d3ad26b4a8c

In Bergen the hop on/of bus and the Fløybanen will be open.

Let me know if you have any other question.:)

Lars

We had such a lovely day today so decided to take a drive along the Storfjord.

Storfjord is on the way to/from Geiranger.

For those on a Path of the Troll tour from Ålesund this is the road you will be taking.

image_zpsade64c18.jpg

image_zpsc36a3bbe.jpg

Lars,

Those photos are gorgeous! I especially like the one with the great reflection!

Thanks for all the great information for our May trip. You've been very helpful!

Leann and Alan