Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Lars,

Those photos are gorgeous! I especially like the one with the great reflection!

Thanks for all the great information for our May trip. You've been very helpful!

Leann and Alan

Thanks, Lars. Great photos! Hold on to the sunny weather until our visit middle of May.

Teresa

Thank you for you kind comments.

My favorite photo is also the one with the reflection. When we drove to Tafjord (as the place is called) we had to drive to a long tunnel to get there. When we exited we get hit by this amazingly beautiful vista. Even for us living here the sheer beauty of nature is jaw dropping.

Fingers crossed for a nice and sunny spring and summer:)

Lars

Lars, I don't know if you can help with this but I thought I'd ask. I have been trying to book a tour with Geiranger Adventure called 'sky to Fjord'. Its a van/bike tour. They had not responded to my emails (over several weeks) or the forms I filled out on their web site so I have been trying to call them but the phone declares "your call cannot be completed at this time. Try again later" It has been this way for almost 10 days. I wondered if it was something about calling from the USA but everyplace I can find any mention of this company (including reviews and such on Trip Advisor, etc) gives the same number. It's frustrating to say the least. Anything you can suggest? Thanks. -- Scott

Lars, I don't know if you can help with this but I thought I'd ask. I have been trying to book a tour with Geiranger Adventure called 'sky to Fjord'. Its a van/bike tour. They had not responded to my emails (over several weeks) or the forms I filled out on their web site so I have been trying to call them but the phone declares "your call cannot be completed at this time. Try again later" It has been this way for almost 10 days. I wondered if it was something about calling from the USA but everyplace I can find any mention of this company (including reviews and such on Trip Advisor, etc) gives the same number. It's frustrating to say the least. Anything you can suggest? Thanks. -- Scott

I am not sure why they are slow at answering. It should not matter where you call from as long as you use the correct country code and number.

I tried to call the number and got the same message as you.

You could try the tourist office:

tourist@geiranger.no

+47 70 26 30 99

You could also try this:

gtn@geiranger.no

+47 92 48 06 92

You might also want to try this site:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/Contact-Us

The problem with these people running businesses in Geiranger is that they only do it during the summer months and their offices/telephones operate maybe from May on wards. Thats when they "wake up" from their 6 months of hibernation/vacation and start answering requests. Its a very ignorant and strange way to do business. They will fill up their tours regardless.

Best of luck.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

So surprised to see how green the grass is. We just lost our snow 2 weeks ago (1 1/2 hours north of Toronto) and our grass is not green. Will the trees and plants be out when we visit May 17-24?

Thanks Karen

Karen - We only had a few days with snow this year. Its been the mildest winter in ages.

All threes and plants are having buds as we speak so when you are here they will all be out.

Thank you sir, you are most generous with your time. As it would happen, I got an email from them this morning which had a new number on it. The new number worked fine. Unfortunately the cruise lines buy most of their inventory so he couldn't accommodate us. If we want it we have to go through Celebrity at an almost 65% increase. Ah well. Such is life. It does sound like something we want so will book it. Thanks again for your effort. -- Scott

Thank you sir, you are most generous with your time. As it would happen, I got an email from them this morning which had a new number on it. The new number worked fine. Unfortunately the cruise lines buy most of their inventory so he couldn't accommodate us. If we want it we have to go through Celebrity at an almost 65% increase. Ah well. Such is life. It does sound like something we want so will book it. Thanks again for your effort. -- Scott

Scott - you are welcome. I knew a word to the right person would speed up things:D Enjoy your day in Geiranger.

Lars

Hi Lars,

Any feedback on the Solnor Golf Course by Alesund? Would it be possible to get there by public transport, or would we need a taxi? And about how much would the taxi be? Thanks in advance :)

Solnør Gold Course is 30 minutes outside Ålesund. By taxi this will cost at least NOK 1000,- one way.

I have included contact information for a taxi company doing sightseeing tours.

They might be able to work something out for you. Maybe a 3 hrs tour (1 hr drive and 2 hrs at the course??)

http://www.alesund-taxi.no/en-GB/Kontakt.aspx

Here is a link to the Solnør Golf course:

Its in Norwegian only.

http://www.aagk.no/default.aspx?menu=27

There is another golf course at Moa - This is a 10 minute drive from Ålesund.

Lots of buses leaving from the bus terminal in Ålesund which is next to the pier.

http://www.aagk.no/default.aspx?menu=61

This golf course is not nearly as nice as the course at Solnør.

Buses from Ålesund to Moa:

Bus no:628 departs Ålesund 15 and 45 every hour.

Bus no: 618 departs almost every 15 minutes.

The bus ride to Moa take approx 20 minutes.

Bus from Ålesund to Sollnør is more infrequent.

I include the schedule below.

You would want the bus from:

Ålesund rb.st.

Your bus stop close to the golfcourse is:

Dragsundet

I would check with the drive if there is a stop closer to the course.

http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/15-263.htm

For return journey hit the "Tur".

All in all the easiest and most convenient way is to take a taxi or rent a car and drive to Solnør.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi again Lars

We are sailing out of Flam at 6pm. Any idea of how long the sail out with great scenery will be? I was looking to book the specialty steakhouse for 8pm or will the sail away beauty last longer than 2 hours?

Thanks Karen

Cruising Aurlandsfjord will probably take a few hours. But as you might know Aurlandsfjord is a small arm of the Sognefjord. To cruise the Sognefjord - Norways longest fjord - will for sure take 5-6 hrs.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Cruising Aurlandsfjord will probably take a few hours. But as you might know Aurlanndsfjord is a small arm of the Sognefjord. To cruise the Sognefjord - Norways longest fjord - will for sure take 5-6 hrs.

From your note then this would not be the best night for specialty dinning? As you know my DH Keith is a photographic junky and might not be in the best mood for fine dining if I tear him away for a steak that night.

Thanks Karen

PS don't you ever sleep!

From your note then this would not be the best night for specialty dinning? As you know my DH Keith is a photographic junky and might not be in the best mood for fine dining if I tear him away for a steak that night.

Thanks Karen

PS don't you ever sleep!

Your DH will be running around, up and down decks taking pictures:D So I would suggest another night.

What might work scenery wise but not so much for photos is booking Izumi...Great, if not the best of views from there.

Off to bed now:)

Your DH will be running around, up and down decks taking pictures:D So I would suggest another night.

What might work scenery wise but not so much for photos is booking Izumi...Great, if not the best of views from there.

Off to bed now:)

I will go back to my original thought and that is to play it by ear. Either Buffet or My Time dining.

Good night! Karen

I will go back to my original thought and that is to play it by ear. Either Buffet or My Time dining.

Good night! Karen

I always recommend buffet the evenings ships sail out of the fjords.

When we cruised the fjords we had dinner on our balcony. Of course you only get the view from one side.

Hi again Lars, Just wondering if you have ever heard of or had any dealings with a company called Seilper. They are based in Vestnes and run sailing/biking, kayaking tours from Molde. I spoke to the owner and he was very nice but I can't find any reviews or critiques of the company or people's experiences with them. I was given a company called "viisit Molde" as a good resource for them but have once again heard nothing after numerous attempts at email and calling. The phone calls are answered in Norwegian and english giving their hours and then hanging up!? This is supposed to be a tourist agency and it doesn't make sense that they can't be contacted. I have never had such a frustrating time planning a cruise. Some people, like yourself, are most helpful but I would say about 50% of the contacts I have tried to make never even get back to me.

Anyway, if you know anything about Seilper or maybe someone else who has used them I'd be grateful. :D Thanks again. -- Scott

Hi Lars: Do you have a weather website that pretty accurately predicts weather a few days ahead? We have reservations for the Alnes excursion and I'm not sure how that would be on a pouring with rain day. We will be in Alesund in early August.

Hi again Lars, Just wondering if you have ever heard of or had any dealings with a company called Seilper. They are based in Vestnes and run sailing/biking, kayaking tours from Molde. I spoke to the owner and he was very nice but I can't find any reviews or critiques of the company or people's experiences with them. I was given a company called "viisit Molde" as a good resource for them but have once again heard nothing after numerous attempts at email and calling. The phone calls are answered in Norwegian and english giving their hours and then hanging up!? This is supposed to be a tourist agency and it doesn't make sense that they can't be contacted. I have never had such a frustrating time planning a cruise. Some people, like yourself, are most helpful but I would say about 50% of the contacts I have tried to make never even get back to me.

Anyway, if you know anything about Seilper or maybe someone else who has used them I'd be grateful. :D Thanks again. -- Scott

I understand your frustration. I do not understand why a company fails to answer back a client in a timely manner. I have a few theories which I will keep to myself:) One reason could be - as you know - the companies sell their services in bulk to the cruise lines.

Unfortunately I have never heard about Seilper. Did you only try his mobil or did you also try this number: 00 47 71 18 24 39.

On a info site it say the company only hires out sailboats/tour to the businesses market.

The company is on FB.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have talked to a few friends of mine who knows people in the local travel industry regarding requests never being answered back Fingers crossed and hopefully something gets done asap.

Lars

Hi Lars: Do you have a weather website that pretty accurately predicts weather a few days ahead? We have reservations for the Alnes excursion and I'm not sure how that would be on a pouring with rain day. We will be in Alesund in early August.

Weeell:D I use http://www.storm.no or http://www.yr.no

These are Norwegian sites and Storm is the official site for one of the largest tv channels in Norway. Yr is from the state owned tv channel.

Yr has a button for English.

Lars,

Let me begin by thanking you for your great insight on Alesund.

We'll be in Alesund on June 26 on the Queen Victoria. Although our plan is to walk around the town to look at the Art Nouveau architecture and at the older wooden buildings you described (near the Scandic Hotel), I wondered if we would also have time to visit Giske. I know you say that there is not much there and that the cruise ship description make it more interesting that it really is, but we have not missed an episode of the History Channel's "Vikings" series. Giske was Rollo's hometown. I know that some Danish people say that the Rollo who conquered Normandy (and is an ancestor of William the Conqueror) was not from Norway, and that Rollo was not Ragnar Lothbrok's brother like in the show. But when I told my friends that our cruise stopped near Rollo's hometown, they said "you must go, Lagertha!" Thus my question is whether there's public transport between Alesund and Giske. It does not look too far.

Second question. Our cruise stops in Olden on June 25. I have not found a lot of advice on what to do there. One of the options (cruise tour by bus or bus/troll car, or public bus) is to visit the Briksdal glacier, but since you have stated that this winter was very mild, how impressive would it be compared to the other options: Oldevanet Lake (on bus/boat); Kjenndalen Glacier and Lovatnet Lake (on bus/boat), or Stryn River and Lake (bus). Which would you recommend? I'm not too keen on Briksdal because our mom would not be able to join us.

Thanks in advance!

Lars, Thanks. I figured it was a long shot. I have asked the question to the general 'Baltic' board and have no responses. I did speak with the owner of Seilper and he was very accommodating. My worry is that there seems to be no one else who has used him. I have to get at least 4 other people from my ship to join us to get the trip and I am a little wary of suggesting that we all book with an unknown provider. Thank you again for your help.

Scott