Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

We will be on the first sailing! 06/06/2015!

Departing from Copenhagen 06/06

Day at Sea 06/07

Stavanger 06/08

Alesund 06/09

Geiranger 06/10

Bergen 06/11

Day at Sea 06/12

Arrive Copenhagen 06/13

We just booked a couple of days ago and haven't even begun to think about port adventures since we're still over a year out.

Congrats on the booking. It has been lots of talk about Disney to Norway in the the media.

You still have plenty of time to what to do in ports.

When we cruise I normally start the serious planning 6-9 months out.

Lots of threads here with information. Also, it will be fun to read about what others have done in ports this year.

Congrats on the booking. It has been lots of talk about Disney to Norway in the the media.

You still have plenty of time to what to do in ports.

When we cruise I normally start the serious planning 6-9 months out.

Lots of threads here with information. Also, it will be fun to read about what others have done in ports this year.

Too right! I will definitely be stalking Norway trip reports this summer to see what will be best for us.

I usually try to stay ahead of the game so that when it comes time for booking excursion we are sure to get on the best tours with the boat before they are full

Too right! I will definitely be stalking Norway trip reports this summer to see what will be best for us.

I usually try to stay ahead of the game so that when it comes time for booking excursion we are sure to get on the best tours with the boat before they are full[/QUOTE]

You and me both - we really should cruise together:D

Feel free to stalk me too :D - it would be fun to help you creates a perfect Norway trip.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Lars

I am finalizing my plans for my May 17/14 Legends cruise to Norway. With your help I have made plans for Geiranger and Flam. I need to figure out Alesund and Bergen.

As you can appreciate as a fellow cruiser at some point budget takes over, especially when doing two cruises b2b. I feel that I can do a tour in either Alesund or Bergen but not both,so my question is which is easier to do on my own and how?

As I have mentioned before we are avid photographers and that is important to remember when picking what to do for our days in port.

In Alesund I want to see the Sunmore Museum and Mt Aksla. There is a cruise excursion AE22 at 8:30 am for 3 hours at 71.75. We would go back to the ship for lunch then do a walk around the town. Or I could try to do this on my own.

In Bergen there is an excursion called Bergen Highlights BN37 for 3 1/2 hours for 87.95. It includes going to Edvard Grieg Villa&Museum, Stave Church and the Hanseatic Assembly Rooms. Back to the ship for lunch then the Funicular and walk around. Or a DIY day with Funicular, Tower , Hanseatic Museum , Ole Bulls Pass etc.

I am thinking that Alesund might be easier to do on my own with public transportation. What do you think and which buses would I use? Or any other thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help and advice, Karen

I usually try to stay ahead of the game so that when it comes time for booking excursion we are sure to get on the best tours with the boat before they are full[/QUOTE]

You and me both - we really should cruise together:D

Feel free to stalk me too :D - it would be fun to help you creates a perfect Norway trip.

Lars

Boy do I have a problems, now I find my self at celebrity.com and came across a fjords and Iceland tour on a newer boat the Eclipse. One more day at sea but a newer boat would nice, though we would have a smaller suite. Here is the page

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=EC14Q055&dest=EUROP&shipCode=EC

ROFL I can see why my husband wants to kill me. At least with this itinerary we could see the glacier in Olden

Oh... count yourself officially stalked :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Lars

I am finalizing my plans for my May 17/14 Legends cruise to Norway. With your help I have made plans for Geiranger and Flam. I need to figure out Alesund and Bergen.

As you can appreciate as a fellow cruiser at some point budget takes over, especially when doing two cruises b2b. I feel that I can do a tour in either Alesund or Bergen but not both,so my question is which is easier to do on my own and how?

As I have mentioned before we are avid photographers and that is important to remember when picking what to do for our days in port.

In Alesund I want to see the Sunmore Museum and Mt Aksla. There is a cruise excursion AE22 at 8:30 am for 3 hours at 71.75. We would go back to the ship for lunch then do a walk around the town. Or I could try to do this on my own.

In Bergen there is an excursion called Bergen Highlights BN37 for 3 1/2 hours for 87.95. It includes going to Edvard Grieg Villa&Museum, Stave Church and the Hanseatic Assembly Rooms. Back to the ship for lunch then the Funicular and walk around. Or a DIY day with Funicular, Tower , Hanseatic Museum , Ole Bulls Pass etc.

I am thinking that Alesund might be easier to do on my own with public transportation. What do you think and which buses would I use? Or any other thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help and advice, Karen

Hi Karen - I am glad your plans are coming together.

I understand so well about shore tours. We are doing 12 days to the Baltic in May and it sure adds up.

I think you have done great and doing a tour in Bergen would be better than a tour in Ålesund.

The tour in Bergen covers the most interesting places to see. If you have time after or before the tour you can take the Fløybanen or walk around the town.

Ålesund is very compact and you can easily do the town diy.

You can do the sights with the hop on/off bus.

The first stop is the museum. Spend a few hours and take the bus to Aksla (the bus stops there for 10-15 minutes for photo opportunities. You don't need longer time at the viewpoint).

You will not need to take the bus around town as you can easily walk, take in the sights and get some great photos.

Remember to walk passed Brosundet bridge and down Apoteker gaten to Moloveien. This is my favorite part of town with lots of quaint little shops, museums, art shops and interesting architecture.

Also try to visit Ålesund church a few minutes walk from Brosundet/Apoteker gaten)

You could also take the hop on/off to the Aqaurium. Not so much for the Aquarium itself but for the rugged landscape that surrounds the Aquarium.

There is a shuttle bus operating from the cruise terminal. Do not take this bus unless you want to visit the aquarium as the ticket includes entrance fee and bus ticket.

Route map.

http://www.redbuses.com/img/alesund-map.jpg

More info and online booking:

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/norway/alesund.htm

Using the hop on/off will be easiest.

The price for 2 is approx US$ 73. Remember if you take a hop on/off bus in other cities save the tickets as you will get 10% discount in other cities.

The local buses will cost less to/from the museum but the local bus does not operate to Mt. Aksla. The bus will take you almost to the top but the last 20 minutes you would have to walk.

IMO you will loose more time by taking the local bus.

Bus route Ålesund rb. stb to Fjelltun (Kråmyra) for Mt. Aksla

http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/15-201.htm

Bus from Ålesund rb. stb to Sunnmøre Musuem:

http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/15-212.htm

I am not sure about the prices for the local buses (its been a while) but I would think the fare to the museum costs NOK 40 pp...

What date are you in Ålesund?

Edited by I-Cruiser

Boy do I have a problems, now I find my self at celebrity.com and came across a fjords and Iceland tour on a newer boat the Eclipse. One more day at sea but a newer boat would nice, though we would have a smaller suite. Here is the page

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=EC14Q055&dest=EUROP&shipCode=EC

ROFL I can see why my husband wants to kill me. At least with this itinerary we could see the glacier in Olden

Oh... count yourself officially stalked :D

:D:D We love Celebrity and we love suites so to me this is pure poetry :D

I cant open the Celebrity link unfortunately so which itinerary are you thinking about? Is it 7 days or longer?

I understand so well about shore tours. We are doing 12 days to the Baltic in May and it sure adds up.

I think you have done great and doing a tour in Bergen would be better than a tour in Ålesund.

The tour in Bergen covers the most interesting places to see. If you have time after or before the tour you can take the Fløybanen or walk around the town.

The first stop is the museum. Spend a few hours and take the bus to Aksla (the bus stops there for 10-15 minutes for photo opportunities. You don't need longer time at the viewpoint).

You will not need to take the bus around town as you can easily walk, take in the sights and get some great photos.

Remember to walk passed Brosundet bridge and down Apoteker gaten to Moloveien. This is my favorite part of town with lots of quaint little shops, museums, art shops and interesting architecture.

Also try to visit Ålesund church a few minutes walk from Brosundet/Apoteker gaten)

You could also take the hop on/off to the Aqaurium. Not so much for the Aquarium itself but for the rugged landscape that surrounds the Aquarium.

There is a shuttle bus operating from the cruise terminal. Do not take this bus unless you want to visit the aquarium as the ticket includes entrance fee and bus ticket.

Route map.

The price for 2 is approx US$ 73. Remember if you take a hop on/off bus in other cities save the tickets as you will get 10% discount in other cities.

The local buses will cost less to/from the museum but the local bus does not operate to Mt. Aksla. The bus will take you almost to the top but the last 20 minutes you would have to walk.

I am not sure about the prices for the local buses (its been a while) but I would think the fare to the museum costs NOK 40 pp...

Thanks for confirming that Alesund would be best to DIY. I am leaning toward taking public bus. Could you tell me where I would pick up the bus for Sunnmore. We arrive at 7 am May 21. I realize Sunnmore opens at 10am so I have time to walk around and take pics early then pic up the bus at the bus station on "Keiser Wilhelms gate"(what is that stop called) to go to Sunnmore? Is it possible to walk up to Aksala or what bus stop would I get off to go there?

We really would enjoy walking to the sights and I think waiting for the hop on buses would be frustrating for us and maybe limit what we can see. I have done Hop on Hop off in Barcelona which was terrific but they have a lot of buses to accomodate the crowds. There are very few reviews of Alesund Hop on Hop off bus service.

Thanks again, Karen

Edited by happy_travellers

Thanks for confirming that Alesund would be best to DIY. I am leaning toward taking public bus. Could you tell me where I would pick up the bus for Sunnmore. We arrive at 7 am May 21. I realize Sunnmore opens at 10am so I have time to walk around and take pics early then pic up the bus at the bus station on "Keiser Wilhelms gate" to go to Sunnmore? Is it possible to walk up to Aksala ?

We really would enjoy walking to the sights and I think waiting for the hop on buses would be frustrating for us and maybe limit what we can see. I have done Hop on Hop off in Barcelona which was terrific but they have a lot of buses to accomodate the crowds. There are very few reviews of Alesund Hop on Hop off bus service.

Thanks again, Karen

The easiest would be to take the bus from the bus terminal next to the cruise pier.

You better ask the driver to stop at the Museum unless you know where to get of the bus. (You might have checked out Google maps etc)

The stairs to Aksla is now closed for refurbishment and will not open again before November.

There is an alternative route less scenic. The route is discussed on this thread.

I am not sure how many buses hop on/off has in Ålesund but I would think no more than 2 at the most.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Route map.

Lars when I look at the timetables for the bus schedule which stop name is it for the bus stop closest to the cruise ship?

Also I read somewhere that the weather in Alesund is clearer in the morning and clouds over in the afternoon... wives tale or some truth to that?

Thanks Karen

We are booked on the Journey this June and our itinerary is listed below. We have a rental car booked in Honningsvag to go on a bird safari and the up to the North Cape. We also booked the all-day ship tour in Aurland that takes us to the Flam railway and onto Gudvangen since the railway won't presell tickets. Any other ideas for the other ports would be most welcome! We are not "hikers" but have no problem walking for miles and miles.

SAT 14-JUN HAMBURG, GERMANY Embark 4:00 pm

SUN 15-JUN AT SEA

MON 16-JUN BERGEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 11:00 pm

TUE 17-JUN AURLAND (FLAM), NORWAY Tendered 8:00 am 1:00 pm

TUE 17-JUN GUDVANGEN, NORWAY Tendered 3:00 pm 6:00 pm

WED 18-JUN GEIRANGER, NORWAY Docked 1:00 pm 6:00 pm

THU 19-JUN AT SEA Cruising

FRI 20-JUN SVOLVAER, LOFOTEN ISLANDS, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 5:00 pm

FRI 20-JUN TROLL FJORD - NORWAY Cruising 6:30 pm 8:00 pm

SAT 21-JUN TROMSO, NORWAY Docked 12:00 pm 6:00 pm

SUN 22-JUN HONNINGSVAG, NORWAY Docked 10:00 am 10:00 pm

MON 23-JUN AT SEA Cruising

TUE 24-JUN AT SEA Cruising

WED 25-JUN OLDEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 6:00 pm

THU 26-JUN STAVANGER, NORWAY Docked 1:00 pm 8:00 pm

FRI 27-JUN AT SEA Cruising

SAT 28-JUN COPENHAGEN, DENMARK Debark 7:00 am

Lars--we ( family of 3 including a 15 year old daughter) just booked Celebrity Eclipse for 14 nights in July for Norway and Iceland. We stop at Geiranger, Alesund, Olden and Stvanger in Norway. Any ideas would be helpful. I noted references to a walking map in Alesund and would appreciate a copy (mlglmr@aol.com) Thanks in advance.

Mark, Lisa and Ashley

Lars when I look at the timetables for the bus schedule which stop name is it for the bus stop closest to the cruise ship?

Also I read somewhere that the weather in Alesund is clearer in the morning and clouds over in the afternoon... wives tale or some truth to that?

Thanks Karen

About the weather: That all depends. I does not have to be like that at all.

The stop closest to the cruise pier is the Ålesund rb. stb

Hi

Please can I have the PDF Walking Tour for Alesund, visiting in July and starting to plan.:)

mkrawec@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Mary

Lars--we ( family of 3 including a 15 year old daughter) just booked Celebrity Eclipse for 14 nights in July for Norway and Iceland. We stop at Geiranger, Alesund, Olden and Stvanger in Norway. Any ideas would be helpful. I noted references to a walking map in Alesund and would appreciate a copy (mlglmr@aol.com) Thanks in advance.

Mark, Lisa and Ashley

Sent the brochure to you.

So yah crazy lady here... So I know weather is similar to Alaska so I have a bit of an idea on what to expect. On the B2B all Norway itinerary I see we can do a sailing on May 30th, will it be much cooler then June 20th. I know it is all speculation but Indo not do well in cold, but if we do May 30th the Neptune suite is almost 600 less

Here is some pix to get you all in the mood:)

http://infinityalesund_zps48dd8942.jpg

http://norway_zpsac94cb13.jpg

e3ahazys.jpg

I love your beautiful photographs, i just started using iPad / iPhone app called TAPATALK, to monitor Rollcalls and it is great at uploading photographs from your iOS devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark, Lisa and Ashley

We are booked on the Journey this June and our itinerary is listed below. We have a rental car booked in Honningsvag to go on a bird safari and the up to the North Cape. We also booked the all-day ship tour in Aurland that takes us to the Flam railway and onto Gudvangen since the railway won't presell tickets. Any other ideas for the other ports would be most welcome! We are not "hikers" but have no problem walking for miles and miles.

SAT 14-JUN HAMBURG, GERMANY Embark 4:00 pm

SUN 15-JUN AT SEA

MON 16-JUN BERGEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 11:00 pm

TUE 17-JUN AURLAND (FLAM), NORWAY Tendered 8:00 am 1:00 pm

TUE 17-JUN GUDVANGEN, NORWAY Tendered 3:00 pm 6:00 pm

WED 18-JUN GEIRANGER, NORWAY Docked 1:00 pm 6:00 pm

THU 19-JUN AT SEA Cruising

FRI 20-JUN SVOLVAER, LOFOTEN ISLANDS, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 5:00 pm

FRI 20-JUN TROLL FJORD - NORWAY Cruising 6:30 pm 8:00 pm

SAT 21-JUN TROMSO, NORWAY Docked 12:00 pm 6:00 pm

SUN 22-JUN HONNINGSVAG, NORWAY Docked 10:00 am 10:00 pm

MON 23-JUN AT SEA Cruising

TUE 24-JUN AT SEA Cruising

WED 25-JUN OLDEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 6:00 pm

THU 26-JUN STAVANGER, NORWAY Docked 1:00 pm 8:00 pm

FRI 27-JUN AT SEA Cruising

SAT 28-JUN COPENHAGEN, DENMARK Debark 7:00 am

Lots of really good info is available on this thread. Also, if you have a look at post no.1 refer to a few other useful links.:)

For Geiranger I would suggest a bus tour or a hop on/off to Eagles Rd. viewpoint, Flydallsjuvet and Mt. Dalsnibba.

This is the standard must see things to do in Geiranger. You should also take some time to walk around the small village.

Ålesund is a nice town to explore on foot or by using the hop on/off or the choo choo train. Must sees are Mt. Aksla viewpoint, Brosundet bridge, Ålesund church, Apoteker gaten and Moloveien.

If you prefer to venture outside town an amzing trip will be to the Path of the Trolls. Either by renting a car or by the ships tour.

If you are feeling more adventurious you could rent a car and drive to Stranda, Hellesylt over to Norangsdalen and to the quaint little village of Oye.

Olden - Most prefer to go to the Briksdal glacier.

This is just a small sample. If you have further in depth questions about a certain itinerary or what to do in a specific port I am more than happy to help you out.

Lars.

Btw, Trollfjord and Svolvær will blow you mind. Trollfjord is so narrow you can almost touch the side of the mountain from the ship.