Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

So yah crazy lady here... So I know weather is similar to Alaska so I have a bit of an idea on what to expect. On the B2B all Norway itinerary I see we can do a sailing on May 30th, will it be much cooler then June 20th. I know it is all speculation but Indo not do well in cold, but if we do May 30th the Neptune suite is almost 600 less

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi my favorite crazy lady:D

May 30 will be slightly cooler then June 20 departure.

Climate in Norway taken from met.no

Spring (March - May)

The increasing solar energy during springtime eventually melts the snow cover, and the land areas are being warmed up faster than the sea.

In early spring, a zone near the coast of Western Norway has the highest mean temperatures, but in May the highest temperatures are found in the southern part of Østlandet.

Summer (June -August)

In summer the warmest areas are the southern part of Østlandet and the coastal areas of Sørlandet. The highest monthly mean temperature ever recorded is 22,7 °C for July 1901 in Oslo.

The highest recorded maximum temperature is 35,6 °C, measured on June 20th 1970 at Nesbyen (Buskerud).

Because of the midnight sun, also Northern Norway can enjoy temperatures above 30 °C. The record is 34,4 °C from June 23rd 1920 at Sihccajavri (Finnmark). Because of very low winter temperatures and high summer temperatures, the Finnmark Plateau has the largest recorded difference between the highest and lowest temperature recorded. The record difference for Karasjok is an amazing 83,8 °C.

Summer

Late June to early August is when the weather is warmest and the days are long and bright. Temperatures in July and August can reach 25°C - 30°C. At the same time there is hardly any humidity in the air.

Sea temperatures can reach 18°C and higher, making swimming a popular pastime.

The warmest and most stable weather usually occurs on the eastern side of the southern mountains, including the south coast between Mandal and Oslo.

Even further north, summer temperatures are rather pleasant – sometimes reaching as high as 25°C or more.

However, the summer weather can be wet and changeable, especially in Fjord Norway, Trøndelag and Northern Norway.

I would say the average temp in the summer is 14C to 18C....Its actually very similar to Alaska.

Edited by I-Cruiser

So not to high-jack your thread but I told hubby I would make my choice today and that would be the end of it. So being that you live there and I do not, I would like you to play the part of my hubby and tell me which you would like. Remember when we show up at our boat he will be expecting a full inside room

So…

Option #1: All Norway on Rotterdam in Neptune Suite- 4 days at sea sailing out of Rotterdam (this is the initial tour I booked)

Option #2: Norway and Iceland on the Ryndam in a Vista Suite- 3 sea days sailing out of Harwich, England (am bummed we will not hit either Geiranger or Flam)

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 20 Jun 2015 Harwich (London), UK 04:00 PM

1 21 Jun 2015 At Sea

2 22 Jun 2015 Lerwick, Shetland Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

3 23 Jun 2015 Torshavn, Faroe Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

4 24 Jun 2015 Djupivogur, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

5 25 Jun 2015 Heimaey, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

6 26 Jun 2015 Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

7 27 Jun 2015 Isafjordur, Iceland 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

8 28 Jun 2015 Akureyri, Iceland 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

9 29 Jun 2015 At Sea

10 30 Jun 2015 Alesund, Norway 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

11 01 Jul 2015 Bergen, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 02 Jul 2015 Eidfjord, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

13 03 Jul 2015 At Sea

14 04 Jul 2015 Harwich (London), UK 07:00 AM

Edited by Pnutter81

So not to high-jack your thread but I told hubby I would make my choice today and that would be the end of it. So being that you live there and I do not, I would like you to play the part of my hubby and tell me which you would like. Remember when we show up at our boat he will be expecting a full inside room

So…

Option #1: All Norway on Rotterdam in Neptune Suite- 4 days at sea sailing out of Rotterdam (this is the initial tour I booked)

Option #2: Norway and Iceland on the Ryndam in a Vista Suite- 3 sea days sailing out of Harwich, England (am bummed we will not hit either Geiranger or Flam)

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 20 Jun 2015 Harwich (London), UK 04:00 PM

1 21 Jun 2015 At Sea

2 22 Jun 2015 Lerwick, Shetland Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

3 23 Jun 2015 Torshavn, Faroe Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

4 24 Jun 2015 Djupivogur, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

5 25 Jun 2015 Heimaey, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

6 26 Jun 2015 Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

7 27 Jun 2015 Isafjordur, Iceland 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

8 28 Jun 2015 Akureyri, Iceland 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

9 29 Jun 2015 At Sea

10 30 Jun 2015 Alesund, Norway 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

11 01 Jul 2015 Bergen, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 02 Jul 2015 Eidfjord, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

13 03 Jul 2015 At Sea

14 04 Jul 2015 Harwich (London), UK 07:00 AM

If you want to explore Norway I would choose option 1 !!!

Its a great cruise were you can do Norway in depth - It will be memorable for sure.

For Geiranger I would suggest a bus tour or a hop on/off to Eagles Rd. viewpoint, Flydallsjuvet and Mt. Dalsnibba.

This is the standard must see things to do in Geiranger. You should also take some time to walk around the small village.

Ålesund is a nice town to explore on foot or by using the hop on/off or the choo choo train. Must sees are Mt. Aksla viewpoint, Brosundet bridge, Ålesund church, Apoteker gaten and Moloveien.

If you prefer to venture outside town an amzing trip will be to the Path of the Trolls. Either by renting a car or by the ships tour.

If you are feeling more adventurious you could rent a car and drive to Stranda, Hellesylt over to Norangsdalen and to the quaint little village of Oye.

Olden - Most prefer to go to the Briksdal glacier.

This is just a small sample. If you have further in depth questions about a certain itinerary or what to do in a specific port I am more than happy to help you out.

Lars.

Hi Lars,

You mention Ålesund-- where is that on our itinerary?

For Geiranger I would suggest a bus tour or a hop on/off to Eagles Rd. viewpoint, Flydallsjuvet and Mt. Dalsnibba.

This is the standard must see things to do in Geiranger. You should also take some time to walk around the small village.

Ålesund is a nice town to explore on foot or by using the hop on/off or the choo choo train. Must sees are Mt. Aksla viewpoint, Brosundet bridge, Ålesund church, Apoteker gaten and Moloveien.

If you prefer to venture outside town an amzing trip will be to the Path of the Trolls. Either by renting a car or by the ships tour.

If you are feeling more adventurious you could rent a car and drive to Stranda, Hellesylt over to Norangsdalen and to the quaint little village of Oye.

Olden - Most prefer to go to the Briksdal glacier.

This is just a small sample. If you have further in depth questions about a certain itinerary or what to do in a specific port I am more than happy to help you out.

Lars.

Hi Lars,

You mention Ålesund-- where is that on our itinerary?

If you look closely you will see I multi quoted. Which means I answered another member (who is going to Ålesund) and your question in the same post as they were similar in nature.

I just came to think about another fascinating place to visit is Herdalssetra a 40 minute drive from Geiranger.

Herdalssetra is a #summer farm" in Norddal.

Norddal is a tiny village a short drive from Geiranger.

You will drive up the Eagle Rd, across the mountain (stunning drive with a must photo stop at Eidsvatnet (Eidslake), to the tiny village of Eidsdal and onwards to Norddal and Herdalsetra.

The last stretch of road to the summer farm is a toll road.

I love visiting Herdalsetra for the pure silence and the stunning raw nature.

The owners keeps goats, sheep and fjord horses.

As a fact this is one of the larges summer farm in the country.

The farm is keeping the Norwegian farming traditions alive and it has been held farming there for at least 300 years. The history of the farm goes back to the Viking time.

Of course the nature here is breathtaking.

You can have lunch at the farm at their cafe. For larger groups or if you want a tour please announce your arrival before hand using email address: aashildd@online.no OR jossande@online.no)

I always purchase some of their organic home produced goods. Their brown goat cheese, their caramel and goat meat is delicious.

The farm also have accommodation for overnight stays. The farm is huge on Geo tourism.

We are booked in for a weekend stay in August which I am very much looking forward too.

We will stay in "sel" or tiny summer farmhouse.

It will be back to simplicity, back to nature and to get a tiny look into how life was in days gone.

For more info:

http://www.herdalssetra.no/engsider/engstart.html

The village of Eidsdal.

If your ship has a tour from Geiranger to Path of the Trolls you will drive to Eidsdal and take the ferry over to Linge which is a few minuted drive from the village of Valldal.

Also, if you take the Path of the Trolls tour from Ålesund you will drive pass Linge and see Eidsdal on the other side of the fjord.

This picture shows the Eidsdal or Eids valley. The view is from the top of the mountain towards Eidsdal.

eidsdal_zps285d9522.jpg

The village of Eidsdal.

If your ship has a tour from Geiranger to Path of the Trolls you will drive to Eidsdal and take the ferry over to Linge which is a few minuted drive from the village of Valldal.

Also, if you take the Path of the Trolls tour from Ålesund you will drive pass Linge and see Eidsdal on the other side of the fjord.

This picture shows the Eidsdal or Eids valley. The view is from the top of the mountain towards Eidsdal.

eidsdal_zps285d9522.jpg

Lars your killing me! I think I have things figured out, then you show me this. Karen

Edited by happy_travellers

Lars,

Thanks so much for all your posts. You really are generous to share your country with us.

I would like the pdf as well sent to donnarubright@railserve.biz.

I thought I had read somewhere the we could kayak around Alesund, but I cannot find it now. Is that possible?

Thank you so much for you kind words.

A very helpful member of CC put the link to the pdf brochure online.

Here is a link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...63934634,d.aWc

EDIT: This link does not seem to work.

Let me find the original post with the link to the brochure.

The tour company 62 Nord rents out Kayaks.

You should sent them a request as their website says the period for rental is from June 30 to August 24.

Email address:

post@62.no

Link to 62 Nord website:

http://www.62.no/en/sightseeing-tours/bicycles-and-kayaks-for-hire

It sure would be interesting to see Ålesund from a Kayak. It sure would be a very different perspective.

Enjoy

Lars:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars,

Thanks so much for all your posts. You really are generous to share your country with us.

I would like the pdf as well sent to donnarubright@railserve.biz.

I thought I had read somewhere the we could kayak around Alesund, but I cannot find it now. Is that possible?

See if this works http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.visitalesund-geiranger.com%2FImageVault%2FImages%2Fid_5084%2Fscope_512%2FImageVaultHandler.aspx&ei=VGE9U_HcNof4yAH1zYC4Aw&usg=AFQjCNGhEghfIFK1VjhX_QoDEKGmjACqKA&sig2=yz3m6t78YuPMfz6rRc_RsA&bvm=bv.63934634,d.aWc

:D Karen - I hope I do it softly:D

its beautiful isnt it. Its just "minutes" from Geiranger...

You keep showing us such wonderful scenery that I might have to do this again next year!

I did see a RCL excursion that takes in this area but its pricey. For the time being I have booked the Geiranger Hop on Hop off locally not through the ship then plan to walk to Losta and go to Westeras Farm.

So many options so little money...Lol

Edited by happy_travellers

You keep showing us such wonderful scenery that I might have to do this again next year!

I did see a RCL excursion that takes in this area but its pricey. For the time being I have booked the Geiranger Hop on Hop off locally not through the ship then plan to walk to Losta and go to Westeras Farm.

So many options so little money...Lol

You just have to come back:)

I-Cruiser, thank you so much for so generously sharing your knowledge and expertise! I have been trying to decide on excursions for our upcoming trip in June, and your postings and suggestions have been invaluable.

I have two questions: Celebrity offers an excursion entitled "Path of the Trolls" out of Alesund. It also offers an excursion entitled: "Full Day to Trollstigen Mountain" out of Molde. Am I correct in assuming that hese are the same excursions, leaving from different towns? And if so, which would be preferable?

Second question: Celebrity offers a boat trip to Lysefjord to the Pulpit Rock. It is three hours, and costs $119. Would you recommend it?

I-Cruiser, thank you so much for so generously sharing your knowledge and expertise! I have been trying to decide on excursions for our upcoming trip in June, and your postings and suggestions have been invaluable.

I have two questions: Celebrity offers an excursion entitled "Path of the Trolls" out of Alesund. It also offers an excursion entitled: "Full Day to Trollstigen Mountain" out of Molde. Am I correct in assuming that hese are the same excursions, leaving from different towns? And if so, which would be preferable?

Second question: Celebrity offers a boat trip to Lysefjord to the Pulpit Rock. It is three hours, and costs $119. Would you recommend it?

I am happy you found the information useful.

You do ask a really good questions regarding Path of the Trolls from either Molde or Ålesund.

You are right. It is the same destination but not the same route.

From Molde the tour would either cross the Romsdalsfjord to Vestnes and drive along the fjord towards Åndalsnes and The Path of the Trolls or do a long detour in/out of the Romsdalsfjord.

My personal favorite is the drive from Ålesund to the Path. This because you will drive along the Storfjord (part of the main fjord to/from Geiranger) pass and drive through the village and valley of Valldal with possible stop at the viewpoint Flydalsjuvet (its an amazing gorge).

IMO the nature and experience is better during the tour from Ålesund.

I would recommend the Lysefjord and Pulpit tour. Much because Lysefjord is very different than the other Norwegian fjords. Its more rugged and it reminds me of some of the fjords in Alaska. I think its very interesting to see.

It is possible to do the sightseeing to Lysefjord by private companies.

Some of those offering tours are:

http://fjordcruise.norled.no/RoundTripGroups.aspx?id=3010&utm_source=Fiskepirterminalen&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Trafikk%20fiskepirterminalen

http://www.rodne.no/en/

As I am not sure when you are visiting Stavanger these tour departures might not be good for you as some of the tours will not start before June.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Lars

Hi this is a wonderful resource, thank you. I have read through a lot of it but haven't seen anything about the location of car rental agencies in Molde. If it is there and I have missed it I'm sorry to be asking again. Most of the agencies I have come up with are at the airport. Is that a long way from the port? Are there others closer to the docks? Thanks for any info you have. -- Scott

Hi this is a wonderful resource, thank you. I have read through a lot of it but haven't seen anything about the location of car rental agencies in Molde. If it is there and I have missed it I'm sorry to be asking again. Most of the agencies I have come up with are at the airport. Is that a long way from the port? Are there others closer to the docks? Thanks for any info you have. -- Scott

Scott - I dont think the question has been asked before.

I keep searching and all the major car rental agencies are at the airport.

To drive from the pier to the airport will take 10 minutes.

I would suggest to get in contact with the rental agencies and ask if they deliver at the pier. I know they do in other ports.

Lars