Ft. Lauderdale vs. Houston

soccergang

Dear OP. I realize that time constraints may be a problem, so you would have to fly, but we live near you (Braselton), but always drive in the day before. FLL is very doable. Houston is possible, but best with shared drivers.

We have done many Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale for spring break. Thinking about doing the Western Caribbean out of Houston. I know the port is much farther from the airport, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the ease of either port. Or, we could fly to LAX for a California Coastal, although air fare would be much more.

Fll over Houston any day.

I usually cruise out of FLL but this year we are cruising out of Houston. I have been watching all of the issues with fog and I doubt we will do this again. It is just too worrisome. We have already booked our cruise for next year out of Fort Lauderdale.

see above in red

I used to spend a lot of time working in Houston before I retired and the loop is just about as crowded as taking I45 through the center but farther to drive. If you really want to avoid traffic a longer route is to take the beltway.

The major plus in going out of Houston/Galveston for us is that it is an easy drive to the port on controlled access highways where the speed limit for most of the way is 75 (in Texas that means 85!). Plus since I have spent so much time working in Houston, it seems like a trip home in that I know my way around quite well.

I have never been amused with Galveston but have stayed there several times and once worked there for a couple weeks. I prefer the Clear Lake area which is convenient to Bayport. I understand that many like the tourist angle but I am not one of them.

Port Everglades requires an airplane trip or long drive. These days since I no longer toil for the corporation, I drive it in several days. Anything to stay off the silver tube that I had to endure for years. I simply have to plan on more days if I go there but then I have them to use. Our next cruise will be out of there followed shortly by a cruise out of Bayport.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

I used to spend a lot of time working in Houston before I retired and the loop is just about as crowded as taking I45 through the center but farther to drive. If you really want to avoid traffic a longer route is to take the beltway.

Since this would be a Saturday, traffic on the 610 loop is likely to be relatively light.

And yes, taking the loop vs 59 to 45 downtown would be four miles shorter than taking the loop and meeting up with 45 south of the city, but there is no need to go to 45 on the loop on the way to Bayport as one would go from the loop to 225 and the effect of that would be less than two miles more using the loop in order to avoid downtown.

One bigger problem on weekends in Houston is that is when some major repair work is done on the freeways and that might affect any of the routes.

I remember one cruise out of Galvestion when I45 was shut down for construction in the Clear Lake area. All vehicles including busses had to go miles out of the way to what became clogged streets with many traffic lights. Nobody coming from either airport had an easy time reaching Galveston whether it was a Princess xfer, a limo, a taxi, a shuttle service or a private car.

Edited by caribill

However the locals to TX are saying that the fog issues are usually just during winter. So sailing out of Houston or Galveston for spring or summer I wouldn't worry too much.

Princess does not sail from Houston May-Sep.

Edited by pablo222