Ft. Lauderdale vs. Houston

soccergang

We have done many Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale for spring break. Thinking about doing the Western Caribbean out of Houston. I know the port is much farther from the airport, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the ease of either port. Or, we could fly to LAX for a California Coastal, although air fare would be much more.

We have done many Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale for spring break. Thinking about doing the Western Caribbean out of Houston. I know the port is much farther from the airport, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the ease of either port. Or, we could fly to LAX for a California Coastal, although air fare would be much more.

By far Port Everglades is much closer (~ 3 miles) to the FLL airport than in Houston. We were in Houston in November and the transport took ~ 40 minutes from IAH.

40 Minutes...WOW (you would have to drive about 100MPH to do that). It is 70 miles from George Bush International (IAH) to the port at Galveston and generally takes nearly 1:15. This makes the port a pain in the behind and the transfer somewhat expensive. That being said, the last time we cruised out of Galveston (on Princess) we were able to get a pretty good deal on a one-way rental car from IAH and drove to Galveston a day early in order to enjoy that seacoast resort city.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

40 Minutes...WOW (you would have to drive about 100MPH to do that). It is 70 miles from George Bush International (IAH) to the port at Galveston and generally takes nearly 1:15.

IAH to Bayport cruise terminal is 44 to 49 miles (depending on the route taken). Google maps estimates 46 to 50 minutes depending on the route. A taxi from IAH would not be cheap. Either take Supershuttle or the Princess xfer.

HOU to Bayport cruise terminal is 20 to 27 miles (depending on the route taken). Google maps estimates 30 to 40 minutes depending on the route.

Edited by caribill

40 Minutes...WOW (you would have to drive about 100MPH to do that). It is 70 miles from George Bush International (IAH) to the port at Galveston and generally takes nearly 1:15. This makes the port a pain in the behind and the transfer somewhat expensive. That being said, the last time we cruised out of Galveston (on Princess) we were able to get a pretty good deal on a one-way rental car from IAH and drove to Galveston a day early in order to enjoy that seacoast resort city.

Hank

You are correct about the distance from IAH to Galveston, however they are sailing from Bayport terminal. If you fly into Hobby airport the terminal is less than 15 minutes away.

I absolutely loved my cruise out of Houston on the W. Carib itinerary. I also loved my short 3 hr flight vs 5 hr to FL coming from LAX. However, yes getting to the port is a tad harder since it's much farther. Princess transfers or Super Shuttle make it pretty affordable, but bc the Houston/Bayport port has been plagued with fog/wind/weather concerns this winter I would not be sure if I would sail out of Houston again (in the winter). I see you are looking at spring, so maybe it's not an issue that time. But bc so many sailings came back late, people missed their flights or was close to missing their flights, so could not wait for the prepaid Princess transfers or SS but hail a cab, which would have been over $100 I'm sure. It's about 50 miles to IAH.

Ft Lauderdale is much easier and lots more choices of itin. But for me it's farther, and more expensive. But I think it's more fun sailing out of FLL. Prettier scenery and houses.

We sail out of many different ports. We are looking forward to Bayport since its closer to us than Galveston and cuts the travel in half. Those flying into Hobby airport (HOU) will find a short commute to the port vs those flying into IAH. We are NY transplants and we find the people on cruises from Houston to be be wonderful! The crew always mentions that if they could stay on a ship out of Houston they would because the passengers are so nice. So to me a happy crew means...... a happy cruise. As for the fog, it does not happen often but did happen on the early cruise and the Christmas cruise. Cruising out of Houston is also much more casual than FLL in our opinion. Right now there are limited port choices and FLL has many more. Each cruise we take is different and we have had both good and bad from many ports.

IAH is 43 miles from Bayport and it is through the center of the city. The ship leaves and returns on a Saturday and traffic through the center of a large metroplex (~4 million) can be quick or it can be very slow if not stopped. Plan ahead.

As for the fog, yes Houston gets fog sometimes as does Galveston and they have to follow the same channel in from the Gulf to get to either port. Ships going out of Galveston also have fog problems from time to time as does HOU airport since it is near the water.

IAH is 43 miles from Bayport and it is through the center of the city. Does not have to be through downtown Houston. Exit 59 South to 610 North Loop heading east. Follow the loop to 225 and take 225 to 146. Avoids downtown completely.

see above in red

Much better itineraries going out of FLL....the western caribbean itinerary out of Houston or Galveston is not very good..and the issues with Bayport can cause delays. Better to fly and have the choice of ports and know that your ship will leave and arrive on time.

eclue:o

We've sailed out of Galveston, but probably won't again soon because of weather; in winter (applies to Houston too) the first and last day can be quite cool--we had weather in the 40's and essentially couldn't enjoy being outside on the ship on those days.

Of course, you can get lucky and hit nice days, and maybe during Spring Break (March and April) the weather is warmer than when we went in February. But for us it was disappointing.

The itinerary of those cruises is nice, but there are so many other choices from Florida, including those same ports.

Much better itineraries going out of FLL....the western caribbean itinerary out of Houston or Galveston is not very good..and the issues with Bayport can cause delays. Better to fly and have the choice of ports and know that your ship will leave and arrive on time.

eclue:o

I agree. Unless the cruise is almost free, I wouldn't sail out of Houston or Galveston. I think it is there to attract Texans and those who can drive to the ports. If I was to fly, it would be for a better itinerary and with an embarkment city with less issues.

Much better itineraries going out of FLL

Depends on your idea of a good itinerary. For both Houston and Port Everglades, the ports that are reached during a 7 day cruise are rather limited.

Houston: Cozumel, Roatan, Belize City

Fort Lauderdale:

a) Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Princess Cays

b) St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Princess Cays

c) St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Grand Turk, Princess Cays

d) St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Princess Cays

e) St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau, Princess Cays

So three of the five from Port Everglades include St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays. One of the five goes to two of the ports on the cruise out of Galveston.

After taking any of these itineraries one or two times, they are no longer interesting to many people.

Edited by caribill

Given the issues with weather delays into/out of Houston this season I would be a wreck worrying about embarkation and disembarkation if I was traveling by plane. It seems like there are issues about every 2nd or 3rd cruise. I don't like those odds.

Given the issues with weather delays into/out of Houston this season I would be a wreck worrying about embarkation and disembarkation if I was traveling by plane. It seems like there are issues about every 2nd or 3rd cruise. I don't like those odds.

However the locals to TX are saying that the fog issues are usually just during winter. So sailing out of Houston or Galveston for spring or summer I wouldn't worry too much.

Depends on your idea of a good itinerary. For both Houston and Port Everglades, the ports that are reached during a 7 day cruise are rather limited.

Houston: Cozumel, Roatan, Belize City

Fort Lauderdale:

a) Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Princess Cays

b) St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Princess Cays

c) St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Grand Turk, Princess Cays

d) St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Princess Cays

e) St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau, Princess Cays

So three of the five from Port Everglades include St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays. One of the five goes to two of the ports on the cruise out of Galveston.

After taking any of these itineraries one or two times, they are no longer interesting to many people.

There are several additional itineraries out of Houston/Galveston

I just thought the Allure and Oasis are great, and thought everyone should try it once. Just a thought.

I agree. Although I do love the Caribbean Princess, the two big girls are really something. The entertainment is just the best at sea. :D