New York to Canada

Jeffrey1950

Wow ! OP went from a 5 night CA/NE cruise question to thinking about a 12 night one.

You responders would make good Travel Agents .

Yes, We are good Cunarders.

I also like this trip for another reason. You don't have to be so tan and fit because the wardrobe for this one can be very forgiving. :)

Well !!!! First of all I want to thank everyone that took time out of their lives to respond to my questions.........I have read each and every post with great interest and would truly love to do the 12 day trip. I feel it would be better to wait till nearer the time to see if there is a price drop. Oh............what would my boss say if I asked for two weeks in a roll off from work, oh what the heck she would probably say " you go girl ". I am guessing that not everyone gets off at all the ports , do they open the restaurant's as per usual or do you eat at a buffet on deck for the likes of lunch?

Well !!!! First of all I want to thank everyone that took time out of their lives to respond to my questions.........I have read each and every post with great interest and would truly love to do the 12 day trip. I feel it would be better to wait till nearer the time to see if there is a price drop. Oh............what would my boss say if I asked for two weeks in a roll off from work, oh what the heck she would probably say " you go girl ". I am guessing that not everyone gets off at all the ports , do they open the restaurant's as per usual or do you eat at a buffet on deck for the likes of lunch?

Jeffrey1950, something else you might want to consider: keep an eye on the fares for the 5 night July cruise. Rarely does that voyage have a serious rate drop, but you might want to consider booking it for the following reasons:

-Assuming you don't have to fly to NYC, it requires only 4 vacation days from work (July 4th being a National holiday).

-You'll have ample opportunity to check out the ship, and if you feel you'd like to take another voyage, buy a future cruise credit while on board - or avail yourself of any special offers that might be available for the 12 night cruise you are considering. (The two cruises combined would mean 14 vacation days from work - which fits nicely if you have that number of vacation days available). Alternatively, if you don't enjoy your on-board experience, you'll save yourself some grief by not having booked a longer cruise.

-Having taken one voyage, your World Club status goes to the next level.

-This 5 night cruise will not be available in 2015, so if you have any interest in this cruise, perhaps it is best to experience it while it's still on offer rather than waiting to see if it reappears in 2016.

-As previously mentioned, the fare for this 5 night cruise has traditionally been at higher per diem rate when compared to most QM2 cruises. This means that the quality of various aspects of the cruise has not suffered the same cost-cutting measures that occur when fares drop dramatically.

We've taken this cruise several times, and found it to be a pleasant break: short but sweet. Whatever you decide, I wish you an enjoyable voyage. Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

I live 20 mins. away from New York, so that is no problem..........My one concern is being as I have to pay a single supplement it seems a lot of money to basically have one full sea day............oh what to do !!!!!!!!!!

July 5th for all practical purposes is a sea day. Nobody is force marched off the ship in Halifax or Boston. You can stay on board if you wish.

I did this voyage in 2012. Staying on board in Boston might have been a better choice since road closures in anticipation of the annual Boston Pops concert made getting around slow going. It may not be that bad this year since the new security measures after the Boston Marathon bombing caused attendance to drop about 50%. (Mainly due to restrictions on items that could not be brought into the Elipse.)

As a solo sailor I hear you on the single supplement. For me however the price is well worth it considering the alternatives are 1) not sailing, or 2) rooming with the cabin mate from hell.

If the supplement is a concern remember that you are paying it for only five days. And since you are 20 minutes from New York you don't have airfare and hotel expenses.

This is the shortest QM2 voyage available from the States. It's not a long commitment to make in case you find the ship and experience are not to your liking.

Edited by BlueRiband

If the supplement is a concern remember that you are paying it for only five days. And since you are 20 minutes from New York you don't have airfare and hotel expenses.

That's a very good point. With airfare, hotel, meals, and extra carfare, we might as well be paying the single supplement vs the very lucky who live in NYC. :)