Your help for a Celebrity newbie

Bizziecruzer

Hi - we have not cruised with Celebrity before. We are looking at an 11 night Hawaii - Vancouver cruise on the Solstice and we are trying to make a decision on which cabin to book and also what dining would be best for us.

We can get a 2C in the cabin of our choice (it has a larger balcony and is aft and that is our preferred ship location) or a C2 guaranteed cabin. The difference is an extra $140 (per person) for the Concierge class - my question - Is it worth the extra for concierge and not being able to pick our own cabin?

We have dined "anytime dining" on Princess and enjoyed the freedom of this. I am wondering if "select dining" is the same or if there are any differences for those who have done both. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Edited by Bizziecruzer
added ship name

Hi - we have not cruised with Celebrity before. We are looking at an 11 night Hawaii - Vancouver cruise on the Solstice and we are trying to make a decision on which cabin to book and also what dining would be best for us.

We can get a 2C in the cabin of our choice (it has a larger balcony and is aft and that is our preferred ship location) or a C2 guaranteed cabin. The difference is an extra $140 (per person) for the Concierge class - my question - Is it worth the extra for concierge and not being able to pick our own cabin?

We have dined "anytime dining" on Princess and enjoyed the freedom of this. I am wondering if "select dining" is the same or if there are any differences for those who have done both. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I would check the cabin spreadsheet here on cruise critic...there are some very noisy rooms on the Soltice in certain areas of the ship

I would check the cabin spreadsheet here on cruise critic...there are some very noisy rooms on the Soltice in certain areas of the ship

Thankyou - I have had a look at the spreadsheet and whilst the cabin of choice is partly obstructed we would be happy with that, however we are not sure if it's worth the extra $$ to be in Concierge class and be at the mercy of a computer to select our cabin for us. :cool:

I would have a look down the boards. There is a ton of discussion on a regular basis, several active threads today, from people who like the idea of CC and those who don't.

Personally I don't think the perks are worth the extra $$; some disagree. YMMV

We have sailed in cc cabins and would not bother again. The perks are not worth the extra cost. The cost is not great however, and YOU may think it is worth it just to try cc. Personally I would stick with the selected cabin rather than risk being allocated a less than desirable location. If there had been no cost involved then I would have said go for it. You can buy your own sparkling wine and upgraded toiletries with the $280.

First, welcome to Celebrity! IMHO, you will really enjoy the product.

We book a Mini on Emerald deck when sailing on Princess, X has nothing in the same price point. All balcony cabins regardless of level are the same 194 s/ft. (( on an S-Class Ship)) The only reason to book any of the CC level cabins, would be for the extra Captain Club points, if you continue to sail X. (We did last yr, needed the point, the extras are not really worth the $$, so we booked a standard 1A this yr)

Dinning works the same way.

If I were guaranteed the cabin of my choice in CC -- I would go for it at only $140 pp. However, if there is a nice balcony cabin of your choosing -- I would never go for the unknown. While I like the benefits of concierge cabins, namely the early boarding and the staff does seem to bend over backwards, it just isn't worth not getting a cabin of your choice. We were lucky enough (it was a lot of persistence on my part) to get a hump cabin midship on deck 10 in the C2 category. It was to date, the best cabin we've ever had on any of our 39 cruises. The cabin choice can make it or break it for us so would never let them choose my stateroom --especially not for an additional cost.

You are aware that a 2C cabin has an obstructed balcony?

Thanks Helen - yes it has a partially obstructed view - from the restaurant below.

Thanks everyone for you assistance. To quote a poster - Location location location - it looks like we'll take the 2C.;)