Email while on board

algriff

It is not a stupid question.

Yes, you can receive e-mail.

All HAL ships have Exploration Cafe where you can use ship's computers if you don't bring a device of your own. You can purchase an internet package and use the computers to check your e-mail or print airline boarding passes etc

Some will correct me if I am mistaken but I think these are the current Internet Packages HAL offers:

You will be charged a one-time activation fee of $3.95

Pay as you go $0.75 Per Minute

Time Plan 1 1000 Minutes / $250.00

Time Plan 2 500 Minutes / $175.00

Time Plan 3 250 Minutes / $100.00

Time Plan 4 100 Minutes / $55.00

If you purchase a package the first day, you get bonus minutes.

Watch the daily program for internet specials offered during the cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

The only differences from home are the price and the speed!

If you purchase a package the first day, you get bonus minutes.
On our Prinsendam cruise last Mar, no bonus minutes with the 100 minute package. Edited by jtl513

If you are only going to check email, consider signing up for the least expensive package.

Also, to save your online minutes, compose your outgoing emails while not logged on to wifi. Send them once you connect.

Enjoy your cruise!

The only differences from home are the price and the speed!

On our Prinsendam cruise last Mar, no bonus minutes with the 100 minute package.

That's definitely an exception.

In all our cruises, I always buy a package and for years, I've always gotten bonus minutes buying on first day. That's too bad Prinsendam didn't/doesn't do the same as the other ships in that regard.

We were on the Ryndam last month. For some reason, you cannot access

Hotmail from this ship's computers. You could access it from your personal devise. We've been one 14 cruises and never had this happen before. Luckily, I brought my Kindle with me.

It was only the 100 block that didn't have any bonus.

Hmmm, the other packages provided the bonus minutes?

If so, I wonder if it has anything to do with Five Star Mariners getting 50% discount off the 100 minute package?

Wouldn't want us to get 10 free minutes. :D It is possible there might be more Five Star Mariners sailing Prinsendam on a given cruise than some of the other itineraries on other ships.

Edited by sail7seas

Using the ship's computers for emails will eat up minutes like nobody's business. With no bookmarks it takes time to learn the vagaries of the system and to access your email provider, log in, read messages, compose messages and send messages. Take your own device, if you can.

If so, I wonder if it has anything to do with Five Star Mariners getting 50% discount off the 100 minute package?

Wouldn't want us to get 10 free minutes. :D It is possible there might be more Five Star Mariners sailing Prinsendam on a given cruise than some of the other itineraries on other ships.

That is a possibility.

But I think they would just say to people on the Prinsendam that since you are a 5 star Mariner, you are already getting discount and thus no bonus minutes. That way people who are not 5 star Mariners on that ship can get the few bonus minutes for that 100 minute package -- 10 bonus minutes.

Correct.

Could be that, or could be the fact that ours was just one segment of a Grand Med.