Help Me Please! Would you choose southern or eastern Caribbean and why?

umbluemusic

So I'm planning a cruise for 2015. With traveling to a family member's wedding this year along with other expenses, as much as I really want to travel NOW and in 2014, I think it makes the most sense for me to wait until 2015.

I'm currently trying to weigh whether I'd want to go on the Southern or Eastern Caribbean trips on the Royal Princess.

Eastern has St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua - all places I've never visited yet in my limited cruising history.

Southern has Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Dominica - but I've been to Aruba.

My boyfriend has only cruised Royal Caribbean before, and he has only done 5 day cruises. He has never been to any of the locations either of the two ships are going.

I'm kind of torn, because I did really enjoy Aruba but I also have such limited travel money and part of me is anguished at spending money to go someplace again. Also, I remember not having very long there from my Panama Canal cruise, and I'd kind of like to maximize the time in port for my boyfriend. He also is certified to scuba; I'm not but I know how to snorkel.

If you were choosing between these two which one would you go with? We've never been able to really take a trip together either before, and I want it to be the best experience it can be for him. :-) With 6 ports on each trip, I was thinking we would arrange for tours/excursions at least in 3 of the ports and then for the other 3 probably just head to the beach.

I'm having trouble seeing the time in port; I know there was someplace I could view that in the past but I feel like it was after I had booked. Does anyone have any experience with how long the port days were on these itineraries?

Thanks for any and all help you can give. I'm seriously itching to travel, and even though these trips would be a long way off I love to plan and save for things. I'm hoping to book them in February and then start the process of nailing down everything we want to do! :)

Proceed like you would to book a cruise. Use the Plan Cruise to select the cruises you're interested in. You'll see the name of the cruise "Western Caribbean", etc, in blue. Click on that and you'll open the itinerary which will show the arrival and departure times for each port.

I was exactly in your shoes and I choose the Eastern for 2015. It will be my second time on this itinerary having done it before in 2005. The only difference is in 2005 we went to St. Maarten and this time we go to Antigua and Princess Cays. The rest are the same. The islands were so beautiful and I knew I wanted to go back again someday and see more of them. I have been to Aruba on our Panama cruise and I was not impressed. The eastern islands are more lush, more mountainous than Aruba. Aruba is basically a desert island. I like the more tropical islands myself. If you have not done the eastern I would recommend it but in the end it is your choice.

So I'm planning a cruise for 2015. With traveling to a family member's wedding this year along with other expenses, as much as I really want to travel NOW and in 2014, I think it makes the most sense for me to wait until 2015.

I'm currently trying to weigh whether I'd want to go on the Southern or Eastern Caribbean trips on the Royal Princess.

Eastern has St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua - all places I've never visited yet in my limited cruising history.

Southern has Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Dominica - but I've been to Aruba.

My boyfriend has only cruised Royal Caribbean before, and he has only done 5 day cruises. He has never been to any of the locations either of the two ships are going.

I'm kind of torn, because I did really enjoy Aruba but I also have such limited travel money and part of me is anguished at spending money to go someplace again. Also, I remember not having very long there from my Panama Canal cruise, and I'd kind of like to maximize the time in port for my boyfriend. He also is certified to scuba; I'm not but I know how to snorkel.

If you were choosing between these two which one would you go with? We've never been able to really take a trip together either before, and I want it to be the best experience it can be for him. :-) With 6 ports on each trip, I was thinking we would arrange for tours/excursions at least in 3 of the ports and then for the other 3 probably just head to the beach.

I'm having trouble seeing the time in port; I know there was someplace I could view that in the past but I feel like it was after I had booked. Does anyone have any experience with how long the port days were on these itineraries?

Thanks for any and all help you can give. I'm seriously itching to travel, and even though these trips would be a long way off I love to plan and save for things. I'm hoping to book them in February and then start the process of nailing down everything we want to do! :)

I have been to all the ports you mention and, based upon my likes and dislikes, I would opt for the eastern Caribbean itinerary. You mention maximizing time in port, scuba diving and snorkling. If those activities are more important to you than the shipboard experience, you might want to consider vacationing at an all-inclusive couples-only Caribbean resort such as Sandals where you can do those activities as well as just relaxing on a beach.

Personally I think they're both great, but I'd go with Eastern.

Curacao is pretty but very European. If you're in the towns you could be mistaken for thinking you're in the middle of Amsterdam.

Dominica is beautiful if you love lush rainforests.

Haven't been to Grenada so can't comment on that.

St Kitts has rolling green hills and some amazing historic locations.

St Lucia has a bit of everything, lots of driving but everything to visit from amazing beaches, rainforests, mud baths, waterfalls etc. I'm told the scuba and snorkelling are very good too.

Antigua can be a little bit scruffy in the towns but amazing beaches and some beautiful countryside and lagoons. Also very good for water-activities.

Barbados is good for culture, loads to do in the towns, also some great gardens and the caves are a must.

I think you'll get good scuba at pretty much any island so I wouldn't worry about that, but St Lucia and St Kitts are two of my favourite places ever. I liked Aruba and Curacao very much but I think the others win. Dominica is a bit like St Lucia for greenery so isn't a deal-breaker.

You'll have a great time whichever you choose though, I have nothing bad to say about any that I've visited.

Hi Chrysalis - I did see that, but I believe for the sailings I just compared they were going to Curacao. I'm strongly leaning Eastern Caribbean, especially since it would fall over Valentine's Day. I'm not an especially romantic mushy person and we never make a big deal over it usually, but I thought it would be a nice thing to be somewhere on a ship instead of trapped at home in the cold weather. It would also fall only a few days after his birthday and two weeks after mine, so it would kind of be an all around perfect time to celebrate.

It also looks like the Eastern sailing I was looking at stops at Grand Turk instead of Princess Cays, which I'm kind of happy about as well. I wasn't super thrilled at Princess Cays and would prefer Grand Turk since I remember the dock was right off the beach, so we could run in to eat etc. and then get back out on the island easily. I believe Princess Cays was a tender port which made running back to the ship hard.

Edit: I've also really wanted to go to St. Lucia for a long time. I can't remember when I first got it into my head, but it has always been kind of my ideal Caribbean island in my mind and I want to get there! So I'm thinking the eastern trip because of that. I just wanted to make sure nothing on the Southern was so spectacular that I'd be stupid to skip it.

Edited by umbluemusic

Hi Chrysalis - I did see that, but I believe for the sailings I just compared they were going to Curacao. I'm strongly leaning Eastern Caribbean, especially since it would fall over Valentine's Day. I'm not an especially romantic mushy person and we never make a big deal over it usually, but I thought it would be a nice thing to be somewhere on a ship instead of trapped at home in the cold weather. It would also fall only a few days after his birthday and two weeks after mine, so it would kind of be an all around perfect time to celebrate.

It also looks like the Eastern sailing I was looking at stops at Grand Turk instead of Princess Cays, which I'm kind of happy about as well. I wasn't super thrilled at Princess Cays and would prefer Grand Turk since I remember the dock was right off the beach, so we could run in to eat etc. and then get back out on the island easily. I believe Princess Cays was a tender port which made running back to the ship hard.

Edit: I've also really wanted to go to St. Lucia for a long time. I can't remember when I first got it into my head, but it has always been kind of my ideal Caribbean island in my mind and I want to get there! So I'm thinking the eastern trip because of that. I just wanted to make sure nothing on the Southern was so spectacular that I'd be stupid to skip it.

OK...good plan.

We have done both intineraries many times, and will be doing both again in a few weeks.

If you do Eastern, many people love to snorkel with the turtles in Barbados...we usually go whale watching in St Lucia for the day. Grand Turk has snorkelling right from the beach at the pier. Antigua is a beach day for us with lots to pick from.

Enjoy your planning

I would usually vote for the southern cruise, but that eastern itinerary is better than most eastern itineraries, and since I've been to Aruba and Curacao a lot, I'd go with the eastern.

Grenada and Dominca are favorites or ours, though, if nature is high on your list. But then, so is St. Lucia.

Either itinerary is great, so it boils down to what you prefer. Also depends on what port they start from, as flying to San Juan, say, is usually more expensive.

We have done both and prefer the Eastern Caribbean. We enjoy the beaches of Antigua, Barbados and St. Johns, VI (we go there while docked in St. Thomas.)

We enjoy the scenery of St. Lucia and St. Kitts. We also enjoyed the southern route, but if we repeat a cruise, it would be the Eastern one.:D

I did that eastern itinerary in 2012, and absolutely loved every port! We snorkeled and swam with turtles in Barbados. Had a ball on the Excellence catamaran in Antigua. In St Kitts, we went to South Friars Beach, by the Shipwreck bar and grill, where they feed the local Green Vervet monkeys and mongooses. If you snorkel there, watch out for black sea urchins - wear water shoes. We had great snorkeling at Sapphire Beach in St Thomas... did you mention that port on the itinerary?

All that being said, we are doing the southern itinerary this April, for something new to explore. I've only been to Eagle Beach in Aruba, so I can't compare the rest yet. Just based on what I have experienced, I'd choose your eastern itinerary.

I have been to all those islands and would choose Southern Caribbean over Eastern. Just my personal preference.Although I can see how it would be a tough choice. No matter which you pick, I am sure you and your boyfriend will have a great time.

For sure, Southern!!!! It's warmer almost all the time than the Eastern and the islands are more varied.

We loved Dominica mainly because of the tour we were on (Levi Bumpping Tours - yes, 2 "p"s). We went to Titou Gorge and swam in the cave waterfall where one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies was filmed. Totally awesome.

Grenada is a beach-lover's dream. You can escape to a very deserted beach for the day. The water is beautiful, clear and warm and the sand is soft. One of very favorite cruising days ever. :)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

For sure, Southern!!!! It's warmer almost all the time than the Eastern and the islands are more varied.

We loved Dominica mainly because of the tour we were on (Levi Bumpping Tours - yes, 2 "p"s). We went to Titou Gorge and swam in the cave waterfall where one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies was filmed. Totally awesome.

Grenada is a beach-lover's dream. You can escape to a very deserted beach for the day. The water is beautiful, clear and warm and the sand is soft. One of very favorite cruising days ever. :)

We did that tour in Dominica too--probably our best tour ever--Titou Gorge was spectacular. The second time we were there we snorkeled at Champagne beach--also wonderful.

It sounds like you have made your decision and prefer the Eastern itinerary. We've been to all the islands you mentioned. If you want to scuba dive, Curacao is a divers dream. Great snorkeling too. I agree with DiversLikeMario comment about Titou Gorge and the cave waterfall in Dominica. We also did river tubing in Dominica that was very fun. Awesome! Aruba is a great beach day. If you want to snorkel in Aruba, go to Baby Beach. Great snorkeling.

If you go to the Caribbean in mid Feb. keep in mind this is Carnival season. You can go to each islands website and check out the date you would be there to see if they are having Carnival that day. These are Mardi Gras type Carnivals. Fun to watch, but they go on for hours. Also, everything closes during Carnival, including the roads. So you are pretty limited on what you can do and where you can go. Check it out to see if this will make a difference in your decision. You can't go wrong with either cruise.

I haven't done a 10-day Eastern itinerary, but I did quite enjoy the Southern Caribbean itinerary when I sailed it recently. I think Curacao is my favorite of the Caribbean islands I've been to (I visited that on a different cruise. I do come from Dutch heritage, so that might have something to do with it) and Bonaire was quite nice too (it reminds me a lot of a somewhat more developed and nicer version of Grand Turk.) Dominica was quite nice too (did a snorkel there, so I didn't get to see too much of the island) and Grenada was interesting, but we only did a short stop there so I didn't get time to see too much of it.

Edited by Vexorg