Retirement Question

journeymore

I'm 41 (a baby here lol) and enjoy what I do in accounting/finance. I plan on working until 67th-68 at least. At which point I will play the piano/organ in a blues band either on land or on a ship.

Part of the tax savings I get from my 401k and company match I rationalize with an annual cruise and set of concerts.

Now granted, I know I might feel different in 15 years but have always been happier working vs not.

I'm 41 (a baby here lol) and enjoy what I do in accounting/finance. I plan on working until 67th-68 at least. At which point I will play the piano/organ in a blues band either on land or on a ship.

Part of the tax savings I get from my 401k and company match I rationalize with an annual cruise and set of concerts.

Now granted, I know I might feel different in 15 years but have always been happier working vs not.

It's sounds as if you've got a great plan! And it's wonderful that you're happy in your line of work - that's so important. I feel so fortunate that I've had such a great job all these years, but I'm just tired now. I've had to work shifts (including overnights) and it's been difficult to have a social life. I just feel it's time for me to live a little ;) I plan to continue working part time, but not right away.

Man! I wish I were as close to retirement as some of you. First eligibility is 3-4 years away, but I don't know if I will actually make the jump at that time or continue working for a year or two or three thereafter. But I do already browse longer cruise itineraries, dreaming about the day I can take off for several weeks or a month at a time, without concern for what emergencies I will have to address at the office when I return.

I haven't decided what will be my celebration cruise, but I keep telling my husband it better be something big!

P.S. Sorry to be part of the conversation on the Solo Forum since I'm not, but I am fully prepared to cruise solo if my husband refuses to cruise.

Thanks for joining in. If your husband decides not to cruise I'm sure you'll enjoy solo cruising.

It's sounds as if you've got a great plan! And it's wonderful that you're happy in your line of work - that's so important. I feel so fortunate that I've had such a great job all these years, but I'm just tired now. I've had to work shifts (including overnights) and it's been difficult to have a social life. I just feel it's time for me to live a little ;) I plan to continue working part time, but not right away.

That's part of my problem. I have worked rotating shifts for 25 years. If in 3 years I feel as I do now, I will get a part time job after about a year or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I am near 66 (in July) and work part time at the same place for under 31 years. I love my job and can't imagining not working. I get 4 weeks vacation and I only work 5 hours in the morning so I have the best of both lives. I started collecting my SS at 62.5 and I bank that money. I had breast cancer 2 times so with those odds I figured I might as well take what I worked my life for and enjoy myself. I have taken 4 cruises and have 2 more coming up in May and Dec. I feel I have the best of both worlds at this point of my life. By the way, my Dec. cruise is going to be my first solo. So excited.

Happy retirement and cruising to everyone.