Retirement Question

journeymore

I was cruising on the 55+ board and that started me wondering how many of the solo cruisers are retired or soon to be retired? I have about 38 more months to go. I think. After that I'm seriously considering moving to south Florida. I'm in southeast Texas now.

Anybody want to share?

I can retire in 10 months (well, 290 days according to the countdown clock a friend gave me :D). I'll still be under 55 and although I'm looking forward to traveling some more, it won't be all cruising. I used to take many land vacations, and I've been to Europe several times. Lately I've just been taking lots of long weekend trips. I'd like to get back to the longer vacations, without trying to cram them in between work days.

I have about 3 1/2 years left to work. This way I can get full gov't benefits at 66 and good pension benefits.

Every week I think about a new "dream cruise" present to give myself when I retire. Right now I like the "Around OZ" cruise that Princess and HAL do once or twice a year. Or maybe a TA with some time spent in Europe first.

I just came back from a holiday Hawaii cruise--SF-Hawaii-SF. This was my longest cruise so far. I wondered how I'd do with all the sea days. I loved them and came home very relaxed.

It will be nice to not have to follow an academic calendar when planning a cruise once I retire. Faith

I have 28 months to go! I'm planning a transatlantic cruise to celebrate.

I did my first transatlantic in April 2013 and liked it a lot. I would like to do the west bound but it's hard to get off work that time of year. So I'll just add it to my bucket list.

792 days, 14 hrs, 50 mins, 33 secs until retirement. Make that 14 secs, 13 secs, 12 secs.

I usually take a few cruises a year, but after retirement, I will definitely have to cut back some. Instead of flying to the port a few times a year, I'll probably do some B2B's to save on airfare.

Man! I wish I were as close to retirement as some of you. First eligibility is 3-4 years away, but I don't know if I will actually make the jump at that time or continue working for a year or two or three thereafter. But I do already browse longer cruise itineraries, dreaming about the day I can take off for several weeks or a month at a time, without concern for what emergencies I will have to address at the office when I return.

I haven't decided what will be my celebration cruise, but I keep telling my husband it better be something big!

P.S. Sorry to be part of the conversation on the Solo Forum since I'm not, but I am fully prepared to cruise solo if my husband refuses to cruise.

Edited by logan25

I was cruising on the 55+ board and that started me wondering how many of the solo cruisers are retired or soon to be retired? I have about 38 more months to go. I think. After that I'm seriously considering moving to south Florida. I'm in southeast Texas now.

Anybody want to share?

Retirement?:eek: Not for a long, long time:rolleyes:..I will be 56 in March and I live

on my own......I would say I will be working for at least 10-15 more

years. I have different savings and IRA accounts and a 401K from

work but retirement doesn't even come into my mind...not anytime

in the near future anyway.:confused:

Well it's 7 years 2 months and 4 days until I can retire from my company and get my work pension, but another 7 years after that before I start getting my state one from UK Gov. Then again, the way they keep putting the age up, it might be 15 years more or never! Thankfully not relying on the State one.

I'm 51, and am thinking through various retirement scenarios. I'm already vested in my company pension, but the longer I work and the later I take it, the more it is on an annual basis. While I'd love to stop working soon, I want to make sure that I can do what I want (including LOTS of cruising!) once that happens. So realistically, I'm 6-7 years away.

I'm 51, and am thinking through various retirement scenarios. I'm already vested in my company pension, but the longer I work and the later I take it, the more it is on an annual basis. While I'd love to stop working soon, I want to make sure that I can do what I want (including LOTS of cruising!) once that happens. So realistically, I'm 6-7 years away.

WOW...you will get to retire at 58? Good for you:) That would only

be 2 years away for me but it is not possible.:eek:

I'm jealous too! I am 52 and I figure realistically I have another 15 years before retirement.

We are in the same boat~or ship:eek:;):).

Living alone with just one income?....fortunently my expenses are low

and I am a good saver but these days...even with savings/401k/IRA's....

how can you live a normal life without income?.......and I want to

be able to cruise after retirement too.....

We are in the same boat~or ship:eek:;):).

Living alone with just one income?....fortunently my expenses are low

and I am a good saver but these days...even with savings/401k/IRA's....

how can you live a normal life without income?.......and I want to

be able to cruise after retirement too.....

I can take early retirement from 55 , so just 2 years away and that was always my plan, but now that it's close, I've realised taking a reduced pension is just not doable if I want to still be able to travel, and my travel bug nature has not yet worn off as I thought it might have done by now. Actually I now think, I'll want to go on trips right up until I draw my last breath, so have to wait until my full retirement age to maximise my income. Didn't help that I lost a 6 figure sum (that was meant to be my mortgage repayment vehicle) in the banking crisis. No point crying over what might have been. I've still got my health and a good job, so carrying on for more years is not a hardship anyway. I don't think I'm actually ready anyway to not be working. I'd need to fill my days with activity of some sort.

Your. Jews on what is too old to be doing stuff changes as you get older!

Edited by AmoMondo

If you all postpone taking Social Security,each year yields 8% greater payment. Saw chart, forgot where. Sure Gov. has one. Over the years, amazing difference. Start watching Suz Orman on Sat. nites.

Edited by zoncom

i am sailing on may 18 on the ncl getaway i would like to link up with any senior retirees onboard i am 67 and have been on over 20 cruises i am staying in a solo cabin and will be in the solo lounge during the cruise you can recognize me by my cruise nicknams furby and bubba;):D

Here's my plan...when I retire, I'll collect my husbands Social Security (as a widow) until age 70. Then I'll collect mine at a much higher rate. It's not as good as married couples collecting two pensions, but at least it's not a total loss. I've also considered working for RCCL because one of the folks who stamped your ticket said they get free cruises.....but if I'm working, how is that retirement?

I can take early retirement from 55 , so just 2 years away and that was always my plan, but now that it's close, I've realised taking a reduced pension is just not doable if I want to still be able to travel, and my travel bug nature has not yet worn off as I thought it might have done by now. Actually I now think, I'll want to go on trips right up until I draw my last breath, so have to wait until my full retirement age to maximise my income. Didn't help that I lost a 6 figure sum (that was meant to be my mortgage repayment vehicle) in the banking crisis. No point crying over what might have been. I've still got my health and a good job, so carrying on for more years is not a hardship anyway. I don't think I'm actually ready anyway to not be working. I'd need to fill my days with activity of some sort.

I have a good job too...been working for the same company 23

years now.

What is your last sentence supposed to be saying?:eek::confused:

If you all postpone taking Social Security,each year yields 8% greater payment. Saw chart, forgot where. Sure Gov. has one. Over the years, amazing difference. Start watching Suz Orman on Sat. nites.

I plan to retire at 62. I know I will take a hit with SS but life is too short. I've seen so many people wait later to retire and either have health issues or pass away before they could enjoy retirement. I work in the medical field so I can pick up shifts here and there. I do plan to work part-time but it will be when I want to not because I have a schedule to follow.

I was cruising on the 55+ board and that started me wondering how many of the solo cruisers are retired or soon to be retired? ...... After that I'm seriously considering moving to south Florida. I'm in southeast Texas now.

I'm 55 and still about 10-12 years away. I've never married - so, just one income to spend and save. It's funny you mentioning moving to south Florida as I am going to Florida next month to scout out neighborhoods in Palm Beach County. I'm thinking of a buying an investment property. I'm specifically looking for a small villa, 2bed/2bath that I can rent out and have paid for by the time I reach retirement.

Of course since I'll be in Florida, I couldn't resist booking a short cruise. I've booked a 4-day cruise on the Ruby Princess.

Fortunately, I enjoy my job so while retirement is something I think about (mostly trying to do the right things so I'll have enough money) but I don't dread the thought of having to work another 15 years. I imagine that might change as I inch closer to the actual date.

Tess

I have a good job too...been working for the same company 23

years now.

What is your last sentence supposed to be saying?:eek::confused:

I think it was supposed to be "Your views..." I really wish people would fix/override autocorrect.

But anyway, I'll be 48 when I retire with a minimum pension. I won't be able to touch my retirement account for another 11 years. I'm also single, but that just means I've had no dependents to spend money on and I've been able to save a lot. I like to travel, but I've never been a shopper or had expensive hobbies/habits. I bought a house that fits my needs, and I guess I've just been really fortunate (financially). I plan to get a part time job to keep busy and meet people.

I'm nervous and very, very excited!

I'm 55 and still about 10-12 years away. I've never married - so, just one income to spend and save. It's funny you mentioning moving to south Florida as I am going to Florida next month to scout out neighborhoods in Palm Beach County. I'm thinking of a buying an investment property. I'm specifically looking for a small villa, 2bed/2bath that I can rent out and have paid for by the time I reach retirement.

Of course since I'll be in Florida, I couldn't resist booking a short cruise. I've booked a 4-day cruise on the Ruby Princess.

Fortunately, I enjoy my job so while retirement is something I think about (mostly trying to do the right things so I'll have enough money) but I don't dread the thought of having to work another 15 years. I imagine that might change as I inch closer to the actual date.

Tess

That sounds like a good plan to me! I did something similar--after my divorce and my youngest starting college I realized that with my job I could live anywhere in the country and there was NOTHING tying me down to the area I lived in. So I sold the big family house with its mortgage and bought a smaller one in Florida (southwest FL for me) which is fully paid for. Now I can concentrate on enjoying myself and putting away mucho dinero for retirement. In the worst case I figure at this point (since my youngest is about to graduate college so no more kid expenses) if I lost my job I could support myself as a cashier at Walmart or something...of course no cruises or ramping up of retirement savings in that case but it's nice to know.

I do really enjoy my job also, but the thought of retirement is also pleasant--no early mornings, no miserable early morning flights unless I'm going on vacation, etc. :)