Anyone cancel a cruise in less than 10 days with no insurance

Lynzchat

So nice to see that basic compassion is still alive and well on CC and in society in general. God forbid a multi million dollar company show any leniency towards a customer- the world as we know it might implode, and all the riff raff will line up demanding refunds of non insured cruise fares from Princess. :eek:

No doubt you feel the multi-million dollar life insurance company should pay off because you forgot to buy a policy before a spouse passed away.

or

A fire insurance company should pay for your burnt down house because you forgot to send in the premium.

or

Your an auto insurance company should pay off after an accident even though you forgot to renew the policy.

Perhaps your dad will have the surgery before you are scheduled to leave if it is an emergency. :confused: Then keep in contact via phone/computer daily on the ship. Only you know what you will feel best doing. Good luck.

I agree. Since the surgery is not for 3 months, it can't be an emergency. So see if you can change the surgery date.

Hello CC! This is a question I could not find in the search function so I thought I'd ask the experts. As luck would have it, I did not buy insurance on this vacation. I normally do but didn't.

Has anyone ever had to cancel a cruise w/o insurance? I was advised to contact Princess Customer Relations to see if they would help me. If we canceled(we have not made the final decision yet), it would be for an emergency medical surgery for my father.

If you had to cancel and contact customer service, will they do anything to try and help you? i.e….future cruise credit, or anything?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!:confused::confused::confused:

HI Lyn

Sorry to hear of your situation.We had a situation where my husband was ill and we werent sure if we would would make the cruise.We did have insurance but didnt want to cancel encase he would be better in time, We contacted Princess to enquire re situation and because they were overbooked they contacted us 2 days before sailing offering us a full refund . We accepted this and didnt have to claim on the insurance.

That would be your best option, Hope your dad is ok. When my parents were alive they always insisted we have our holidays despite their illnesses.They took grate joy in listening to the planning of our hols and the contact we kept up during and after holidays.We had other family members at home to help out however, What ever you do make sure you know what your fathers wishes are.

Good luck.

We sail on both Carnival and Princess and HAL and NCL like lots of other folks here.

On Carnival, when my DD was pregnant, we had to cancel a cruise. It was an early saver type trip to the Panama Canal ( I will never forget it),with the deposit locked in and lost if cancellation for any reason and on and on.

We did not have insurance.

So I called Carnival. Got put through to Customer Service. We walked with a loss of $50 bucks, the balance of the fare put on a cruise much later that year, and I have stayed with Carnival. We are now plats working on Diamond.

that kindness......over something we could not help nor could have predicted......earned them a great deal of loyality from us.

Granted their insane FTTF has me foaming right now...............But I still remember their kindness. And it was repaid

I totally understand the concept of You could have bought insurance. You did not. Now live with it. If we coddle you......why would anyone buy it. Totally understand that.

But a little compassion, in a horrible situation......also worked by earning many, many more cruises from us. & now......that daughter and that Grandchild. And that Son in Law.

sometimes you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

OP: one other suggestion is to talk to Customer Relations and they can check with Dispatch to see if they are offering moveovers on your voyage. If they need your cabin, they may be able to offer a moveover and you won't lose a dime... an outside chance, but you never know...

I agree about this. This is probably your best option.

No doubt you feel the multi-million dollar life insurance company should pay off because you forgot to buy a policy before a spouse passed away.

or

A fire insurance company should pay for your burnt down house because you forgot to send in the premium.

or

Your an auto insurance company should pay off after an accident even though you forgot to renew the policy.

Let's not confuse the issue here. The OP fully understands they should have bought insurance, and I concur. My remark was in reference to someone saying why the heck should customer service help you at all- you didn't buy insurance! Her question was asking for feedback from passengers who have cancelled within 10 days of sailing, and what was the cruiseline's response/result. Instead, folks with nothing to add just chime in and beat the "you should have bought insurance!" drum.

It's not up to anyone but Princess to decide on the outcome for the OP. They might, as has been mentioned in a few posts, offer a compromise to a cash refund.

p.s.- I'm fully aware of how the principle of insurance works, and require no additional schooling on such. ;)

Tony

Some of the emotional posts on Princess website really makes me wonder if there are company shills on here. I posted that Princess is not responsible for giving a refund and I respect that. However, some posts go too far.

Cruise ships and airlines are the two industries that won't give you a refund without insurance. However, even the airlines give some kind of credit toward another trip. People who have never cruised need to know that cruise lines do not state that you are entitled to any future credit if you cancel. Hotels, for example, allow cancellation without penalty usually up to 24 hours prior to check-in. So people who have never cruised before may not understand why the cruise lines can't allow one to cancel a few days prior to the cruise.

It is what it is and I have not been so lucky to have gotten money back from Princess- other than what is stated on the cruise contract. So if they do make some kind of concession- you are lucky.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Some of the emotional posts on Princess website really makes me wonder if there are company shills on here. I posted that Princess is not responsible for giving a refund and I respect that. However, some posts go too far.

Cruise ships and airlines are the two industries that won't give you a refund without insurance. However, even the airlines give some kind of credit toward another trip. People who have never cruised need to know that cruise lines do not state that you are entitled to any future credit if you cancel. Hotels, for example, allow cancellation without penalty usually up to 24 hours prior to check-in. So people who have never cruised before may not understand why the cruise lines can't allow one to cancel a few days prior to the cruise.

It is what it is and I have not been so lucky to have gotten money back from Princess- other than what is stated on the cruise contract. So if they do make some kind of concession- you are lucky.

I don't understand your point about new cruisers not understanding the cancellation and refund policy. It's right there in the invoice in really big print. If someone doesn't read it, that's their problem and their loss. Many hotels have differing cancellation policies - not all allow 24 hours. Most airlines do not refund unless you pay more, etc. To my knowledge, Southwest is the only one that gives you a credit to be used within one year. Some give you a credit if you're hospitalized or a family member dies. However, there's paperwork that goes with that (I've been there, done that). The cruise contract is what it is. If you don't like it, don't cruise. But don't complain (I'm not saying the OP was complaining - not at all) about it if you CHOOSE not to buy insurance, then have to cancel - you gambled and you lost.

If you book a non-refundable airline ticket- there are cancellation policies. US Air, for example, will refund you a certain amount that you can use toward another flight. Delta will give you a certain amount minus the cancellation fee. If you read the fine print you can find these policies. I have not encountered an airline yet that will not give you some credit toward another flight with a non-refundable ticket. Southwest you can use 100% of the ticket toward another flight within a year. Love Southwest!

Keep in mind that most people feel that when there is a family emergency, that companies should be more understanding. Some companies are but my experience with the cruise lines is they won't bend. People talk about travel insurance but unless it is a cancel for any reason type- the OP wanting to cancel because of the illness of a family member may not even be covered. One year my dog had to have surgery and I didn't want to leave her in someone else's care. That would not have been covered unless I had "cancel for any reason" type of insurance, which is not the type the cheap one that agents tend to sell. Now, it is interesting to hear success stories- like the cruise was overbooked and someone did get a refund but I wouldn't bank on that sort of thing. It never hurts to ask though and a savvy travel agent could perhaps figure out a solution. For example, I don't know about the OP but perhaps her cabin mate would want to bring someone else who would be willing to go instead.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

To the topic at hand..

It is extremely unlikely Princess will refund the fare unless they can do so their their benefit (like a move over offer). It's also unlikely they will move it to a future cruise (that would cost them potential revenue on that cruise).

That said, there may be some things that can be done to minimize the damage.

1> A downgrade may be an option. If there is demand for your class of cabin, it may be to their advantage to drop you to a lower class and they can at least give back the difference. Someone supervisor or above would be responsible for this.

2> Future OBC. While they typically won't transfer the fare to a future cruise, IF you are willing to book a future cruise right now sometimes they will apply a portion as OBC to that cruise. If you cancel thatcruise, the OBC will go poof permanently.

As noted, Princess can not practically make exceptions, or it makes the concept of travel insurance moot and the process inconsistent and vulnerable to fraud and misuse (anyone recall Klinger's multiple hardship excuses from MASH?) But they can be flexible if and when they can show it to be of value to the bottom line.

Let's not confuse the issue here. The OP fully understands they should have bought insurance, and I concur. My remark was in reference to someone saying why the heck should customer service help you at all- you didn't buy insurance! Her question was asking for feedback from passengers who have cancelled within 10 days of sailing, and what was the cruiseline's response/result. Instead, folks with nothing to add just chime in and beat the "you should have bought insurance!" drum.

It's not up to anyone but Princess to decide on the outcome for the OP. They might, as has been mentioned in a few posts, offer a compromise to a cash refund.

p.s.- I'm fully aware of how the principle of insurance works, and require no additional schooling on such. ;)

Tony

Thanks for your post! Yes, it is up to Princess and it worked out well for both Princess and for us! It also worked out well for our airlines, they gave us a full refund with our letter from the hospital.

Thanks for your post! Yes, it is up to Princess and it worked out well for both Princess and for us! It also worked out well for our airlines, they gave us a full refund with our letter from the hospital.

Who did you speak to at Princess? And did you get your cash back or value for the next cruise?

Edited by eandj

one person from the original booking must be still on the cruise so you cant sell your cabin to anyone

Could they leave the original person on the reservation and then have that person no show????

OP, sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he recovers easily and quickly.

It might kill some to know things work out for you but I am happy for you. It's nice to hear happy endings since many don't get the chance or care to return and share it. We are stuck with those who think it never happen or it shouldn't happen.

Good Luck

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

It's not too late to buy insurance from one of the insurance providers. Travelex Insurance or Travelguard. Both of them are equally good and much cheaper than insurance bought from the cruise lines. You can add 'cancel for any reason option'. You can buy the cancelation insurance up to the first day of your vacations.

When I get a bargain on a cruise I ,too, skip insurance. But I am aware that it is a gamble and if I am willing to take it i can't complain.

Although it is tempting to skip insurance when you get a really cheap cruise, don't! What will happen if you have to have an emergency evacuation, or get sick or injured on a shore excursion? Chances are sliim, but you never know. Many health insurance policies will not cover you when you are out of the country. I don't think it is worth the risk. Anyway, if you get a good deal on the cruise, the insurance is usually cheaper, too!

Although it is tempting to skip insurance when you get a really cheap cruise, don't! What will happen if you have to have an emergency evacuation, or get sick or injured on a shore excursion? Chances are sliim, but you never know. Many health insurance policies will not cover you when you are out of the country. I don't think it is worth the risk. Anyway, if you get a good deal on the cruise, the insurance is usually cheaper, too!

you can also just get medical and evacuation insurance which is a lot less than trip interruption insurance...

we purchased this for our cabo land trip and it was very inexpensive...

I can handle losing the cruise fare (would suck i know) but the thought of dropping $50k on a helicopter ride does scare me.