Remedy for extreme sea sickness

Pier Pressure 53

Hi. I am looking for some help from those experienced cruisers out there.

My wife gets extremely sea sick very easily on what would be considered very calm seas on very calm, virtually non-moving ships. It may be a mistake (due to her sea sickness), but we have booked our 1st ever cruise at the end of this year. My question would be to those out there that like my wife, get very sea sick very easily, have you found an over-the counter or prescription medicine that works for your sea sickness.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thank you.

John

She should see her physician about TransDerm scopolamine patch. They seem expensive, but $5/day (or even $8/day which I have heard quoted pre-insurance cost) is not much compared to losing days of your vacation. They are prescription because the physician needs to make certain you have no contra-indicating conditions.

There are horror stories of blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, etc. It can happen, also sleepiness. Try one first on land and see how she reacts -- sometime when she does not have to drive. Alcohol may also be more intoxicating and may be cautioned against. The action AND side effects are actually the same as Bonine/Dramamine and is related to anti-histamine mechanism -- but scopolamine is more potent (for the positive AND negative effects both).

My husband, who is a physician himself, takes them on ships to use. However, on our recent 2-week Panama Canal cruise, he did not have to use them at all! Previously, he has needed them (or been seasick) on all smaller ships (see my tagline tickers), and ALWAYS on smaller boats such as fishing boats and the touring boats that take you to individual islands of the Galapagos. But the Norwegian Star that we sailed on last month was SO SMOOTH -- he didn't need them even on the day the captain came on the PA and apologized for the ride/storm.

I now will never book anything smaller than about 1000 feet or 2000 passenger, when cruising with him. Although I am not too interested in the megaships, either, at this point. The right itinerary could sway me I suppose.

c520e52b4755e56e406f766e3588aa26.png

1f18e45d1d2e18733908514d444c3d59.png

8c6d697705f80a87f46b336f5a717085.png

132c04ec73a292f40a8fd493eef0c0af.png

Edited by crystalspin
Tag line.

My wife gets extremely sea sick very easily on what would be considered very calm seas on very calm, virtually non-moving ships. It may be a mistake (due to her sea sickness), but we have booked our 1st ever cruise at the end of this year. My question would be to those out there that like my wife, get very sea sick very easily, have you found an over-the counter or prescription medicine that works for your sea sickness.

Thank you.

John

If you already know that your wife gets extremely seasick in calm seas on a barely moving ship why would you book a cruise? If you go on the cruise and the seas are beyond calm your wife will not fare very well. It would only seem fair to not subject your wife to that possibility.

My late MIL would get quite seasick and the meclizine would stop the vomiting but cause her to sleep most of the day away -- yet she signed up for cruise after cruise! Her son didn't fall far from the tree, but fortunately modern (larger) ships with modern stabilizers finally making it possible without even drugs. So motion-sick on fair-ground rides, for example, no longer means seasick on every cruise ship.

Hi. I also get very sea-sick but wanted to try cruising. I bought sea-bands which are simple bands you wear on your wrists and they have been perfect for me. Try to get a cabin mid-ship as well. On all the cruises we have now done there was only one where the seas were pretty choppy and the sea-bands were great and also eating apples. Hope your wife is fine and enjoys the holiday. On the ships now you don't even notice they are moving most of the time.

Having spent a three hour bit on the water, sick the entire time in the bathroom and even being nauseus on a boat still at the dock the ONLY thing that works for me is the Scopolamine patch. Let the doctor decide if you can have it and then take it. Dramamine, even at maximum dose did not work. I did find on my last cruise in the Baltic where we couldn't dock in Riga due to rough seas that I was one of the few on board who was feeling fine. Others kept asking me what I was taking. It did not make me sleepy. Only side effect, for me, was a somewhat dry mouth. Better to have it if you need it! Tried ginger, Seabands, etc. Didn't work for me.

If you already know that your wife gets extremely seasick in calm seas on a barely moving ship why would you book a cruise? If you go on the cruise and the seas are beyond calm your wife will not fare very well. It would only seem fair to not subject your wife to that possibility.

Like the OP's wife, I am extremely sensitive to motion. I get sick standing on a dock, and on a 5 minute car ride.

I use the scopolamine patch VERY successfully. We have sailed across the Atlantic in 25 plus foot seas and I felt fine.

As others have said, have your wife see her doctor. I do use the patch, but can tolerate meclizine on short cruises in calmer water. Meclizine makes me very sleepy, so it's not my first choice. And I do have a bit of fuzzy eyes, but nothing that ruins my cruise or ability to see.

Be prepared. My husband is very susceptible to motion sickness (the cog railroad to Pike's Peak is a particularly bad memory). He had the Rx patch, which turned out not to be enough. I also had brought seabands, and those were the extra bit he needed to feel good. I had also brought bonine, but he didn't need that, thank goodness. Everyone is different, and what works for some won't for others, so be ready with everything so you can use what works best for her.

I am another vote for Bonine. I get sick on a porch swing and Bonine works for me. I start taking it the night before the cruise. (at night so that if you suffer any drowsiness with the Bonine, you'll be asleep anyway). I take it every day of the cruise. It is one pill a day and can be upped to 2 a day if needed. The idea is to prevent the sea sickness from starting, not trying to cure it once it's there.

I personally couldn't use the patch...although others swear by it.

I don't know what works for me. I wear the Sea Band. I use Bonine twice a day regardless of whether the sea is calm or not. I start taking it a day before the cruise embarkation. I have Motion-Eze (available from marine stores such as West Marine here in Florida). I apply it behind my ear if needed. I chew ginger gum (also available at West Marine) if needed. So, bottom line....I have it all with me and use it if I'm feeling uncomfortable. Who knows what works....but who cares!

I did get very sick on a small ship on one of our first cruises when our cabin was forward. I now book cabins between mid-ship and aft. I've been on the Windstar (300 passengers) and on the Allure (5000 passengers) since my horrible episode and I've been fine! I do feel a little queazy at times but I'm now able to deal with it.

SNIP

There are horror stories of blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, etc. It can happen, also sleepiness. Try one first on land and see how she reacts -- sometime when she does not have to drive. Alcohol may also be more intoxicating and may be cautioned against. The action AND side effects are actually the same as Bonine/Dramamine and is related to anti-histamine mechanism -- but scopolamine is more potent (for the positive AND negative effects both).

SNIP

That's not quite accurate. Scopolamine is an anticholinergic, not an antihistamine like Bonine (meclazine). Dramamine, dimenhydrinate, is a both an anticholinergic and an antihistamine. It's the anticholinergic properties that lead to the sometimes significant adverse reactions of Scopolamine . . . add these side effects to the list: hallucinations, confusion, restlessness and memory disturbances.

All these are good ideas, but in case she gets seasick anyway, ask her doctor for a prescription for Phenergan to take to stop the vomiting. Much cheaper than the shot from the onboard doctor. I'm never without it on a cruise, although I haven't had to use it, thank goodness.

But not the pill form . . . if sea sick, the pill will not stay down and the "silver bullet" :p is called for. Been there, done that. :eek:

Car sicki, air sick, amusements sick, sea sick - I get them all. Patch did not work for me; in fact, made me worse. On my fist cruise, two shots from the infirmary did nothing. Happily, I found something that works perfectly for me - Bonine! I now have over 20 cruises under my belt and I take Bonine before the cruise even starts and have been perfectly fine - no nausea at all, nor does it make me sleepy.

You just have to find what works best and stick to it.

I get very motion sick in cars, trains, boats, etc and went on my first cruise this last summer. I got the patch and it worked great for me! We had one day where the seas were more rough, and I became queasy at best. Never had vomiting issues or any other issues. I hope all goes well for you and your wife!

Thank you.

John

Of course, I understand your desire to help your wife but the very best place to get this sort of advice is from her doctor.

What works or is safe for any of us here may not be appropriate or even safe for someone else.

@ CPT trips

You are correct. DH was sleeping and I didn't have him vett my answer. Anticholinergic was the word I couldn't think of. Still many effects of the anticholinergics are similar to but more pronounced than the antihistamines (drying). My husband likes to say, all medications have EFFECTS -- the ones we don't like we call SIDE-EFFECTS! often integrally related to the effects we desire...

As many have said, what works for one may not work for another. Some have no problems with drowsiness and others sleep the cruise away. Some get blurry vision and some have no problems.

I think the key would be to try it before-hand. So, you can see if there will be any issues BEFORE you are sea-bound. My mom used to get terrible motion sickness. But, even on really rough seas a few years ago on Explorer of the Seas, she was totally fine... with no meds! So, you never know.

Recently, this was a thread on the Princess Boards and a lot of folks chimed in with some really good OTC ginger sources.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966888

Regardless, I hope whatever you find works and you have a lovely cruise!

Thank you.

John

My wife has extreme vertigo and seasickness issues.

She gets a prescription drug called Serc, it works perfectly with no side effects. Can't drink alcohol but other than that no issues. I definitely recommend going this route.

This is going to sound flippant but I do not mean it that way - do not cruise. There are lots of vacation options that do not involve getting on ships.

How does she handle plane flights or car trips. You could fly somewhere and spend several days in individual locations instead of one day each in many locations which is what cruising is.

Why pressure her to take a cruise if she might be miserable on it. However, if she truly wants to try cruising, you have been given lots of options.

DON