Moderno - what are the sides and salad bar like?

bamagrad92

Coming up on my 5th NCL cruise but never tried Moderno. On the Jewel in March. What type of sides to they offer and what all is on the salad bar? DD is 6 and DS is 3. They can always eat off the kids menu but would like them to try new things. DH only eats beef if rare. Do they have that option or is it always cooked a specific temp? Thank you in advance!

Donna

Regular salad bar stuff plus 2 soups, a handful of cold salads (like mozzarella and tomatoes or orzo salad), plus several choices of cold cut meats and cheeses. I don't know if it's stuff kids would like though.

I believe the sides were black beans, rice, mashed potatoes, and fried plantains. They were pretty good.

They come around w meat on skewers but if u request a temp they'll use that to determine where from the skewer they take it. Not sure if they have rare or not.

Edited by sanger727

Just let your server know what temp you would like your meat. The salad bar is amazing. They had ceviche on it when we sailed in Dec. as well as everything the others have mentioned. Lots of different meats and cheeses, roasted beets, hearts of palms, olives different cold salads as well as a traditional salad bar selection. My boys love the concept of Brazilian steakhouses even though they don't care for the salad bar so i bet your kiddos will still enjoy it.

Coming up on my 5th NCL cruise but never tried Moderno. On the Jewel in March. What type of sides to they offer and what all is on the salad bar? DD is 6 and DS is 3. They can always eat off the kids menu but would like them to try new things. DH only eats beef if rare. Do they have that option or is it always cooked a specific temp? Thank you in advance!

Donna

That salad bar is FABULOUS ... but beware! You can easily fill up on that, and have no room for the meats! I don't really remember the sides ... I think one was plantains, but I can't swear by that. As for the beef, yes, you can have rare.

Donna

It would be hard to list all the salad bar choices, but let me tell you, there are a lot and it is worth the $20 just to sample them, plus a couple types of soup is offered. my mouth is watering just thinking about what is on the salad bar.. I can't remember the side dishes, but I think one thing they brought us was garlic mashed potatoes, plus about 3 or 4 other side dishes. And, yes, you can get the meat rare or almost anyway you like. As for the kids, good for you, let them try everything. This is the way to build good eating habits

I see someone made the comment it is a typical salad bar, I would call it anything but typical. yes, they have the normal greens, tomatoes, etc. but they offer so much more. You do have to be careful not to fill up on salad.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Donna

I found the sides Bleh! But the salad bar alone is worth the upcharge, to me...

The servers will bring anything you want, whatever temp you like. I just mentioned in passing that the lamb was my favorite and suddenly a platter appeared on the table. Since I didn't want to waste food I ate it but boy was I full, so be careful, lol!

my mouth salivates at the thought of that salad bar!!! sooo cannot wait til im back aboard the Epic in April... cannot wait to eat at Moderno again! However, this time I will fast, lol. Last time I couldn't enjoy all the meats as much because I had eaten small meals all day... you will be in for a treat!

One of the dishes that come around on the carving spits is the roasted pineapple with cinnamon and brown sugar. My god, is that stuff fantastic! It gets carved off just like the meats, and its juicy and sweet and delicious! I'm a vegetarian, and I don't mind spending the upcharge for this restaurant JUST for the salad bar and that pineapple!

One of the dishes that come around on the carving spits is the roasted pineapple with cinnamon and brown sugar. My god, is that stuff fantastic! It gets carved off just like the meats, and its juicy and sweet and delicious! I'm a vegetarian, and I don't mind spending the upcharge for this restaurant JUST for the salad bar and that pineapple!

Tara,

Oh! Your post tempted me!

We are vegetarians, too.

It was unbelievable. We do it at home during the summer, but it never tastes quite that good.

OP I'm with you, I really don't understand how a "salad bar" can get this much raving. I've read the posts and really am no further ahead.

I'm hoping to be able to try modernos on our February cruise. I will try to remember to take photos if I can of the salad bar that is getting so much attention. And then post the photos when I return.

I've searched images on the web and can't find any clear photos of what is on it.

The salad bar is great. As mentioned, be careful not to fill up too much, as there is so much more to come!

I read the warnings. I knew it would be tempting. I said, NO, I'LL WAIT!

But then . . . Just a taste. . . Let me just try that.

And I fell, because it was just that good.

OP I'm with you, I really don't understand how a "salad bar" can get this much raving. I've read the posts and really am no further ahead.

I'm hoping to be able to try modernos on our February cruise. I will try to remember to take photos if I can of the salad bar that is getting so much attention. And then post the photos when I return.

I've searched images on the web and can't find any clear photos of what is on it.

I understand the confusion. I've eaten at Brazilian steakhouses on land, but haven't been to Moderno, although they sound basically the same. At the Brazilian steakhouses I've visited, the "salad bar" isn't really referred to as that. It's more of a salad and sides and specialty bread and cheese buffet. The ones I've visited, the area where you would actually create your own salad (like at a typical salad bar) only takes up about 20% of this buffet, if that makes sense.

In the photos I've seen of Moderno, the "salad bar" looks smaller than I've seen at other Brazilian steakhouses, but since often things on ships are made smaller, I don't assume this means less selection. It gets rave reviews, and we plan to enjoy it on our cruise. I would bet you can visit it on the ship to check it out either before you make a reservation, or if you've made one, then cancel it if you don't like the way it looks.

I understand the confusion. I've eaten at Brazilian steakhouses on land, but haven't been to Moderno, although they sound basically the same. At the Brazilian steakhouses I've visited, the "salad bar" isn't really referred to as that. It's more of a salad and sides and specialty bread and cheese buffet. The ones I've visited, the area where you would actually create your own salad (like at a typical salad bar) only takes up about 20% of this buffet, if that makes sense.

In the photos I've seen of Moderno, the "salad bar" looks smaller than I've seen at other Brazilian steakhouses, but since often things on ships are made smaller, I don't assume this means less selection. It gets rave reviews, and we plan to enjoy it on our cruise. I would bet you can visit it on the ship to check it out either before you make a reservation, or if you've made one, then cancel it if you don't like the way it looks.

Thanks for the details.

We are big meat eaters so that is my main reason for wanting to try this venue. So seeing the "salad bar" one way or another really wouldn't change my mind. Mine is more just curiosity more than anything else on why something called a salad bar is so popular. Because yes when I think of salad bar, I think of buffet. I'm not a big buffet fan for numerous reasons.

The meat is definitely the main event, and the main reason you're paying the extra $20. I would be sad to go to Moderno and just have the salad bar and sides, but I wouldn't dream of skipping them, either. After all, the meat is also "just meat".

Next time we go, I'll ask them to to start bringing the meat as soon as we're back from the salad bar, instead of waiting until we're mostly done with our salads. I want to eat everything at the same time!