Question: Make a Wish 'Auctions'

vargasjv

I've only seen this a couple times and both were before the main show in the theater. They auctioned off everything from a signed art piece, to a specialty dinner, to blowing the ships horn at sail away. The persons' SeaPasses were charged and 100% of the money went to Make a Wish.

Not an auction, but several ships we've been on sponsoed a "Walk of Wishes" for Make a Wish whereby a $10 donation (and you can certainly donate more) provides a T-shirt to be worn during a multi-lap walk around the jogging track. This usually includes the Captain and other officers.

I bought a tour of the engine room of the Navigator at an auction in summer of 2009. I paid $250 and got a certificate for tax deduction. Well worth the money for a powerplant geek.

That's awesome! Any idea how much the other items went for such as blowing the horn? And would you know if you could gift it to someone on a future sailing or does it have to be redeemed that sailing? Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated!!

I bid on/won a galley tour for 4 once on the Make a Wish auction. It was before the evening shows (they ran it twice). I lost the bid before the 1st show, and we went back for the 2nd attempt and won it.

Glad I asked --- now I will go and see what they have. Where there a lot of people at these 'auctions'?

Glad I asked --- now I will go and see what they have. Where there a lot of people at these 'auctions'?

We have not seen them on Oasis or Allure, they do the walk. However, if they did have the auction I would be front and center helping to raise funds. I want to sound the horn.:D

We have not seen them on Oasis or Allure, they do the walk. However, if they did have the auction I would be front and center helping to raise funds. I want to sound the horn.:D

It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to be able to blow the horn! Hopefully we won't be bidding against each other lol.

It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to be able to blow the horn! Hopefully we won't be bidding against each other lol.

That's OK, there are no friends at auctions.;) I go to them all the time for cattle sales as well as to purchase. At least together we would be raising money for a great cause.

If I won I'd let you come to the bridge with us and we would take turns.

Edited by A&L_Ont

It was on the Majesty I saw the horn go at auction. It wasn't cheap. I seem to remember the donation going over $1,000. Of course, it included a full bridge sailaway.

Edited by Aquahound

It was on the Majesty I saw the horn go at auction. It wasn't cheap. I seem to remember the donation going over $1,000. Of course, it included a full bridge sailaway.

The full bridge sailaway would be awesome!

Even numbers, such as $1,000, are usually the tipping point where a bidder is out. Include the fact that you get to be on the bridge for sailaway would make it that much better.

Being from Canada I would not get a tax receipt for the donation, but the experience alone is worth the price of admission. The fact that the money goes to a great cause makes it that much better.

Being from Canada I would not get a tax receipt for the donation, but the experience alone is worth the price of admission. The fact that the money goes to a great cause makes it that much better.

While there is a US benefit in the tax write off, that would not be my motivation either. The cause is the reason.

Even numbers, such as $1,000, are usually the tipping point where a bidder is out. Include the fact that you get to be on the bridge for sailaway would make it that much better.

Since Make a Wish is also Canadian, you probably are able to deduct it...Bid away. :)

Since Make a Wish is also Canadian, you probably are able to deduct it...Bid away. :)

In Canada you can not get a tax receipt if you get something in return. The donation is truely a donation. That fact would not stop me though.:)

The real gift is the giving. The side benefit comes on your tax return the year after.:D

Andrew

That's awesome! Any idea how much the other items went for such as blowing the horn? And would you know if you could gift it to someone on a future sailing or does it have to be redeemed that sailing? Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated!!

They did this but it was for the earthquake in Haiti instead of Make a Wish. This was shortly after it happened and were raising money for supplies. Anyway they had a blow the horn and watch sail away from the bridge that went for $1200 and the engine tour was $800 before the first show. For the second show it was only $500 and $200 for the engine tour. So it will really depend on who at the show both times there was a maybe a 100 people watching/bidding.

At a Make a Wish auction on Navigator last year, we bid for - and won - a Galley and Bridge Tour including blowing the horn, a shore excursion, and dinner at Portofino. I think we paid $350.

It was worth it to see the pleasure on my son's face when he blew that horn! It's one of those things you don't get the chance to do often, and it raises money for a good cause. Priceless :D