Just off Freedom...........ask away!

jletsgo

Hi fellow CC'rs....Just off the January 5 Western sailing on the Freedom of the Seas...Visited Jamaica, Haiti, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Formal nights were day 2 and 5. No escargot available. Lobster(fishermans plate) also on day 5. Mike Hunnerup is the cruise director and did a really good job.

Any questions I will do my best to answer.

Best activity?

Best drink?

Did you have to wait for elevators often?

Did you eat at a specialty restaurant?!

We were on Indy in December. Sailed Freedom in 2005. Wow, time is moving on! They are nice ships.

I hate the elevators on Freedom class ships. On Oasis class, for whatever reason, we felt we did not have to constantly have to wait for an elevator like we did on Freedom and recently Indy. We sailed Allure in Dec 2010.

Also, the food in Chops was no on par with having to pay extra. The service was great though.

I had Old Speckled Hen in pint bottles and was well pleased. We were on Indy 2 weeks after the TA for Europe and all the Brits sailing around. Need to remember that next time too.

Edited by shipshape sam

Hi fellow CC'rs....Just off the January 5 Western sailing on the Freedom of the Seas...Visited Jamaica, Haiti, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Formal nights were day 2 and 5. No escargot available. Lobster(fishermans plate) also on day 5. Mike Hunnerup is the cruise director and did a really good job.

Hi there, please tell me they've changed the 2 main shows, once upon a time and marquee? they are both great shows but they have been the same two shows since 2006, we've been on the ship 6 times and number 7 is feb 2nd, was hoping that richard spacey was the CD, but heard good things about mike H.

any clue who was the entertainment in the bull and the bear bar?

Do they still do the win a cruise bingo?

Did you find my blue jean coat that I left on board in September 2013?:(

Did you have fun?:) I love, love, LOVE Freedom. I'm going to try and sail her again this year.

Food is subjective, but for me it was all really really good!!!!....

Still same 2 shows....

Don't miss the Ice Show....

The Quest is always fun and my 21 year old son was "lucky" enough to wear the bra and makeup at the end!!

Saw a great magician and 2 really good comedians and the singer impersonator, Finis, was amazing....

Elevators were not a problem at all..

Plenty of seats in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch...

I don't play bingo so can't answer that one...

Don't know about singer in the Pub...

I found your jean jacket and wore it home (it was cold on the plane)...

Had a wonderful wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by jletsgo

I was also on that sailing and agree with most of the comments. Finis (singer/impersonator) was incredible, ice show great, comedian really good. We also enjoyed the Temperature Band who played in Olive or Twist at night. The singer in Bull & Bear was also good. The keyboardist/singer in the Schooner bar was awful (in my opinion). What was with the Captain (as in Captain and Tenille) hat? He butchered a lot of good songs.

I did not see any win a cruise bingo games. They had quite few 1 game sessions (for one $500 prize). Bingo has gotten pretty expensive. No issue with seating in Windjammer as previous posters have said. I though MDR food was good, not fantastic, but good. I thought the crab cake app they had one night (Friday?) was the best app of the week, better than the crab cake at Chops. Chops was good; the filet really good, but I would avoid the porterhouse. Definiitely not "steakhouse" quality, more like supermarket.

As for the cruise director, Mike Hunnerup, I was quite underwhelmed by him. Honestly, neither he, nor his assistant Belle, added anything to our cruise exprerience. Granted, a cruise director does not make or break my vacation, but Mike really did nothing to enhance it. I found him rather boring.

Another comment, they really should add a couple more Coke machines. They are only located in the Windjammer and outside Sorrento's at one end of the Promenade. Maybe add a couple on each side of pool deck and the other end of the promenade.

Ship, service, amenities were all fantastic. Can't wait to go again.

Chris

I was on the Dec. 29 sailing of Freedom. Funny how people have different impressions of things. Only show I saw was Marquee. I liked it. Did not do the others, but have seen Once Upon A time and Now You See It. Both are very good. My son and daughter in law saw Once Upon A Time.

The singer in the Pub was "ok." His name is Bernie (I think). Not the most entertaining, didn't seem to get the crowd going. But still ok.

Darrin in Schooner Bar, is most fun. Unlike the above poster I really like him. He does "adult" singing, gets the crowd going, and is funny. It's the second year he's been on Freedom. Now, mind you, we only went a couple of nights and, like most others, he does "favorite" songs. But all in all both are entertaining and fun.

Had Filet at Chops. As usual excellent. Service in Chops even more excellent! We at late (9:00) so it wasn't real crowded, but our waiter was superb.

Diamond Lounge (if you go there) was unacceptable. On day 1 they had an overflow open across the Crown Lounge in the card room. They decided there wasn't enough D or D+ to keep it open. Big mistake. The Diamond lounge was so crowded that there were no tables. The waiters were way overworked, and it was very hard to get drinks. If you didn't have a table you had to pretty much get in line, then find a place in the Olive or Twist to sit. But trying to serve tables and those in line made service very difficult. As D+ we finally went to the Concierge Lounge and it was great. The Concierge, Raul, was the Diamond Concierge the last 2 years and ran the Diamond lounge much better.

Felt the MDR was more crowded. Seemed they added tables due to New Years Eve cruise being so full. Service was still great though.

Overall a great cruise, but be careful on wood around pool deck. My wife slipped and dislocated her collarbone. So be careful.

In the process of booking freedom for March for an extended family vacation. We sailed on her two years ago and had a great time...perfect for children.

Have heard that there is now a Starbucks in the promenade. Did it take the place of the coffee bar that was there? Is there now a charge for regular brewed coffee? (Not the specialty coffees!)

Sorry to hear that the CD is underwhelming...on our last cruise on the Freedom we had a great British CD, forgot his name and years ago we cruised the Mariner out of Port Csnsveral and had the pleasure of having Becky Thompsen as our CD, hands down the best CD we have had on any cruise, ever!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

As for the cruise director, Mike Hunnerup, I was quite underwhelmed by him. Honestly, neither he, nor his assistant Belle, added anything to our cruise exprerience. Granted, a cruise director does not make or break my vacation, but Mike really did nothing to enhance it. I found him rather boring.

I was on the December 15th - 22nd cruise on the Freedom and we had Ricky Matthews with Belle as his assistant. I didn't think Belle was too bad, but maybe that was just in comparison to Ricky who, to me, was beyond annoying. His voice is terrible, sounds like he started smoking when he was 5 years old. I also don't think the cruise director adds much to enhance my cruise, but I started to dread hearing this guy's voice! :eek:

Have heard that there is now a Starbucks in the promenade. Did it take the place of the coffee bar that was there? Is there now a charge for regular brewed coffee? (Not the specialty coffees!)

The Starbucks is part of the Promenade Cafe, I'm not sure if that is where the coffee bar use to be, but I do know that you can still get regular complimentary coffee there.

Went on the oasis last july (just adults) and this july we are doing the freedom (with kids). don't know much about the ship. Any must dos?

Also any info on the teen club would be great. Enough activities for the kids?

Is there enough pool seating? Do we have to get there early to get a seat? On the oasis there was one section that had umbrellas by the pool. Does freedom have that? Also are the pool police out to take your stuff off your chairs if you're not there within 30 minutes?

I frankly have no problem with the pool police. There always seem to be a few people that arrive at the solarium pool at 6AM, throw down towels for themselves and ALL of their friends, then disappear for as long as they like. Not fair, IMHO. If you're going to be MIA, give others a chance.

Did you try the drinks package and if so is it worth it

Like food opinions it depends on the individual. We have always taken the unlimited Soda package and found it to be very worthwhile. This last sailing on Dec 29th we considered the all-inclusive alcoholic drinks but figured out that at $55/person per day we would have to drink at least 5 alcoholic drinks each a day to break even.

We are not big drinkers and depending on number of sea days, excursions and weather really determines for us how many drinks we drink. So for us it isn't worth it but it you enjoy your bevies :) then it very well could be right for you.

Hi there, please tell me they've changed the 2 main shows, once upon a time and marquee? they are both great shows but they have been the same two shows since 2006, we've been on the ship 6 times and number 7 is feb 2nd, was hoping that richard spacey was the CD, but heard good things about mike H.

any clue who was the entertainment in the bull and the bear bar?

Do they still do the win a cruise bingo?

Sorry to say, but the shows are the same. We were just on Freedom Christmas week. It was our 4th time on Freedom and unfortunately, they have not changed the shows. We had a great time but that was disappointing.

Other than the main shows of Marquee, Now You See It, and Once Upon A Time, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Eastern) what happens the other four nights? Royal couldn't tell me and said the shows probably have not been scheduled yet (for the Jan. 26 cruise). How can you plan your dining if you don't know what time the shows are? We have 26 people and it is hard to plan dining times for all of us (we have MTD). Does Royal wait until the cruise starts to plan the shows? We are new to Royal but not cruising. Any suggestions? We do finally have dining times for everyday but will probably have to change once on board.

Other than the main shows of Marquee, Now You See It, and Once Upon A Time, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Eastern) what happens the other four nights? Royal couldn't tell me and said the shows probably have not been scheduled yet (for the Jan. 26 cruise). How can you plan your dining if you don't know what time the shows are? We have 26 people and it is hard to plan dining times for all of us (we have MTD). Does Royal wait until the cruise starts to plan the shows? We are new to Royal but not cruising. Any suggestions? We do finally have dining times for everyday but will probably have to change once on board.

Shows are timed to be convenient for traditional dining times. If you plan your MTD times close to one of the two traditional dining times, then you will be OK for the shows. For Freedom, I believe the traditional times are 5:30pm and 8:00pm.

most shows are at 7pm (late dinner seating) and 9pm for early seating. There are also some "game" shows that usually start around 10pm.