Specialty dinning and kids?

Jenjer

One of my kids fave thing about NCL are the specialty restaurants. It reminds them of Disney where they get to eat in a different room (almost) every night.

Not to mention we find the food exceptional and the smaller venues more to our liking.

Last time we were on Epic my DD was 10 so she was 1/2 price in all specialty dinning rooms. On this trip she will be 12 is she full price or 1/2 price? I know they are free if they order off the kid menu but thats never going to happen.

We are most likely going to get the dinning plan since we eat in the specialty restaurants so much its worth it for us. From what I understand there is no UDP for kids. right?

The udp for kids is the soda package

UDP = Ultimate Dining Package, not Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP).

To OP: No, there has been no mention about discounted UDP for kids.

Edited by Demonyte

I spoke to NCL about the UDP & our upcoming cruise, March 11. The UDP is available for children 3-12. It is 1/2 price, so for our 5 day cruise it is $30. I can add my 11 year old, each person is added to the 'cart' separately and NCL will credit the difference in the child's price once onboard. Right now, it shows as $59 but once the UDP is booked (apparently, we haven't gotten that far yet) you will be able to make dining reservations prior to sailing. I also believe that as long as your child is still 12 it is 1/2 price. For our 5 day sailing we thought it was a good deal and will take advantage of the specialty venues probably every night. We have had no problems in the MDR but thought it would be fun to enjoy a variety of the specialty restaurants and both my children have great palates and love to try new things- they are actually much more adventurous eaters than Iam!

One of my kids fave thing about NCL are the specialty restaurants. It reminds them of Disney where they get to eat in a different room (almost) every night.

Not to mention we find the food exceptional and the smaller venues more to our liking.

Last time we were on Epic my DD was 10 so she was 1/2 price in all specialty dinning rooms. On this trip she will be 12 is she full price or 1/2 price? I know they are free if they order off the kid menu but thats never going to happen.

We are most likely going to get the dinning plan since we eat in the specialty restaurants so much its worth it for us. From what I understand there is no UDP for kids. right?

If they are 12 they are supposed to be 1/2 price for ordering off the specialty menu. However, I did get charged wrong in the Italian restaurant on the Star once and got the run around from the servers in the restaurant saying no, the front desk girl saying she wasn't sure then no, then the desk supervisor saying yes to only have the maitre'd of the restaurant say no (he had to come down and approve the credit). I finally moved it up to the chain to someone who knew the exact policy and we were credited.

We were also overcharged at the Brazilian steak house. didn't catch it until the next day. We let it go since the kids ate so much and we all enjoyed the meal so much.

Getting the kids UDP at 1/2 off would rock I would love to make our reservations ahead of time. We never had a problem not getting the time we wanted since we eat early but with this plan I think more people will move toward specialty dinning

Please let me know how that works out.

• 3 weeks later...
I spoke to NCL about the UDP & our upcoming cruise, March 11. The UDP is available for children 3-12. It is 1/2 price, so for our 5 day cruise it is $30. I can add my 11 year old, each person is added to the 'cart' separately and NCL will credit the difference in the child's price once onboard. Right now, it shows as $59 but once the UDP is booked (apparently, we haven't gotten that far yet) you will be able to make dining reservations prior to sailing. I also believe that as long as your child is still 12 it is 1/2 price. For our 5 day sailing we thought it was a good deal and will take advantage of the specialty venues probably every night. We have had no problems in the MDR but thought it would be fun to enjoy a variety of the specialty restaurants and both my children have great palates and love to try new things- they are actually much more adventurous eaters than Iam!

In a similar situation. I want to book the package for my son who is not much of a kiddie menu kid. He'd prefer to try the adult menu. I assume for the half price they are bringing smaller portions?

Like you when I try to book I am initially charged full price. Do i go to guest services upon boarding to get the discount on the child?

On the Dawn a couple weeks ago our 3 year old was free she basically ate what ever she wanted off of our plates in Moderno. In Teppanyaki they made her own meal and fed her first and still gave her the veggies and everything else that she wanted. Our 11 year old was half price and our 13 year old preferred to order from the kids meal so she ended up being half price as well.

She will be half price.

• 1 month later...

I have 3 kids, ages 14, 10 and 7 and just tried to call NCL to book the UDP. I like to take care of things upfront so I don't have.a huge bill at the end of the cruise.

Was told by the rep that they are not able to book half price children's UDP in their system, that I could pay full price, then wait in line at guest services once I got on board and get it changed. That should be fun. Or I could just wait and buy it at the correct price when we board.

So, if I buy the beverage package when we board, do I do that in the terminal somewhere? I really hope so, because I know what the guest services line is like the first day of the cruise, and I do not want to be there.

From what I understand (from Cruise Critic, because the rep was clueless)

My 14 year old will be full price for the UDP. $149 for a 9 day cruise.

My 10 year old will be half price.

My 7 year old, who is picky and will only eat from the kids' menu, is free.

Is that correct?

I have 3 kids, ages 14, 10 and 7 and just tried to call NCL to book the UDP. I like to take care of things upfront so I don't have.a huge bill at the end of the cruise.

Was told by the rep that they are not able to book half price children's UDP in their system, that I could pay full price, then wait in line at guest services once I got on board and get it changed. That should be fun. Or I could just wait and buy it at the correct price when we board.

I have to admit that I've not paid attention to kids' pricing with UDP but only info on NCL's site (in UDP FAQ) says that "Child pricing remains as is for specialty dining." which would let us assume that there is no child pricing for UDP. As a comparison, soda package is available separately for kids and adults and it is displayed separately also on NCL's site here.

So, if I buy the beverage package when we board, do I do that in the terminal somewhere? I really hope so, because I know what the guest services line is like the first day of the cruise, and I do not want to be there.

No, all non-pre-purchased packages are purchased onboard, in terminal they (port contractor's staff) will only do the bare minimum regarding the check-in (checking IDs, creating onboard accounts and taking pictures for security/POS-system).

All beverage packages can be bought from any open bar, so no need to queue to Guest Services.

From what I understand (from Cruise Critic, because the rep was clueless)

My 14 year old will be full price for the UDP. $149 for a 9 day cruise.

My 10 year old will be half price.

My 7 year old, who is picky and will only eat from the kids' menu, is free.

Is that correct?

As said, not sure about the discount for 10 year old, but you are definitely right about 14 and 7 year olds.

Thank you, Demonyte. I think I will go ahead and buy the UDP online for my husband, myself and the 14 year old. Then we can pay as we go half price cover for the 10 year old.

When we shield MSC, they actually sold beverage packages and shore excursions at tables in the terminal, so you could buy them while you were waiting to check in. Very handy,

We were told that there is no UDP for kids. We were told we would just pay half price for our son as we dine, if he orders from the specialty menus. He will be free if he orders from the kids' menu.

Thanks for the clarification. We will just plan on that then.