Early flight from Ontario to Ft. Lauderdale - got questions..

Ayahsoo

1st timers. Our flight gets in early (7am) so we planned on grabbing a cab, getting a few supplies, then go for early boarding by noon. Departure is 4pm

Questions:

What's the address of the cruise port (ruby princess). I'm assuming just telling the driver, they'd know but wanted to google it to see what stores close by or on the route from airport.

In the same vein, how much bottled water can we take inboard?

Since we getting in so early, we planning to just get some supplies shopping done then go to boarding. Makes sense?

Is there a Walmart ( or similar) clues by ?

We plan to rent a car and drive back North after the trip, any recommended holtel to stay in ft lauderdale or enroute to say Atlanta ?

Any additional tips for us newbies (2adults 2children) appreciated.

Edited by Ayahsoo

The taxi driver will know where the port is. You can see the ships from the airport. When you enter the port, security will tell the drive which pier is for your ship.

Bring as much water as you want. Ask the taxi to stop. We go to Total Wines & More. It is about 1/2 mile from the entrance. Great prices. They sell water.

On the other hand, there is no reason to bring on more than one refillable water bottle per person. The water on board is as pure and good tasing as any bottled water, if not better, FREE, and doesn't come with a plastic waste problem. The water on board is far better than most people get at home.

As far as hotels and other local info, tons of info on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks Paul and CruiserBruce!

This is great info.

Our flight arrives we get in around 7AM, sail time is 4PM

I'm guessing we can board around noon?

Anything we should consider picking up/doing inbetween (to kill some time)?

Thanks!

We plan to rent a car and drive back North after the trip, any recommended holtel to stay in ft lauderdale or enroute to say Atlanta ?

Any additional tips for us newbies (2adults 2children) appreciated.

We always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn...they have free airport and cruise transport in both directions; they have a nice secluded pool; a good restaurant for breakfast and lunch and there is a shopping center across the street that has either a K-Mart or a Walmart. As for hotels enroute Ontario...IMHO you can't go wrong with Hilton Hampton Inn or any of their other properties. When you're driving north on the Interstate stop at the welcome centers or rest areas and pick up the magazines for hotels..usually located in a small kiosk near the main entrance....they have wonderful coupons for hotel stays and you can call from the car and make reservations before you get there.

I didn't see a date for your trip and I'm going to assume you're going soon because why would you go to Florida in the summer time, right :D

There's lots to see and do in Atlanta as well as northern Florida. Depending on the children's ages, Cape Canaveral (Cape Kennedy) Space Center is marvelous and appeals to young and old, girls and boys.

And I'm sure the children wouldn't mind stopping in Disneyworld for a few days! One of my favorite adventures in Florida was an airboat ride. we did it in Kissimmee, but they have them all over and I'm sure you could find one in FLL vicinity. One thing I would do, if you haven't already, is join the CAA and get copies of the tour guides for each state you'll be passing through, including that state's map. The discounts alone will pay for the membership and the books and maps are free (at least for AAA and I would be shocked to find CAA charged for them). Have fun and keep an eye on the weather as you travel north, I know you're from Canada but even our south can get some very nasty storms this time of year.

Thanks Paul and CruiserBruce!

This is great info.

Our flight arrives we get in around 7AM, sail time is 4PM

I'm guessing we can board around noon?

Anything we should consider picking up/doing inbetween (to kill some time)?

Thanks!

We usually arrive at the FL Ports around 10:45/11:00 am and boarding has started. So, by the time you gather luggage, get a cab, little shopping and maybe a light breakfast - it should be time to head to the ship. I say "light" due to most cruises start with lunch! ;)

We have flown dozens of "RedEyes" from Cali...you will be happy and excited but will not feel like doing much strenuous "time killing" :D

The Harbor Shops are just off 17th Street -- Publix is the grocery store, Total Wine and other stores and restaurants. But most stores and restaurants don't open until 10 and 11 AM. Publix opens at 7 AM.

We bought collaspable water bottles years ago and fill them from the bathroom tap to take on excursions.

If your ship leaves on a Sunday, the alcohol and wine area in Publix and Total Wine or any other liquor store do not open until Noon.

Are you wanting to STAY in Atlanta, or are you planning a route home?

If you're planning a route home - on I-95 you'll hit Jacksonville after about 5 hours. If you decide to stay here, stay out at the beach (Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach) or in St Augustine. There truly is not much in downtown JAX.

If you're planning to go up the Florida turnpike and stay in Atlanta, my suggestion would be to go through town and stay either in the Perimeter area (I-285 and 400) or around the Galleria (I-75 and I-285) - both on the north side of town. There are many, many choices in both those areas - from modest to really nice. There are also lots of restaurant choices and shopping. I would suggest you don't stay in a hotel downtown, simply because it can be confusing, it's tough to find gas stations, you have to pay for parking, and there aren't the same restaurant choices.

Atlanta's traffic can be a real bear ... so you'll want to watch what time you hit the city - unless you're travelling on Saturday or Sunday, and even then traffic can be bad if there is a Braves game or a Falcons game. Do turn on your navigation system and check traffic on your smartphone.

Edited by JanineM

You can each carry on a bottle of wine with no charge.

We saw that. Curious...

Is it a limit of TWO (1x750L bottle per adult) or can we take a bottle per ticket purchased (1teen and one child)?

Edited by Ayahsoo

We saw that. Curious...

Is it a limit of TWO (1x750L bottle per adult) or can we take a bottle per ticket purchased (1teen and one child)?

No, this has been debated on the various cruise line boards. The one bottle per adult does not allow for any one under 21.