How formal is formal?

scubamom4

Just curious.. When people say they ONLY bring carry on's with them, why is that? Is it because they don't want to pay baggage fees while flying, don't want to carry bags around, or is it another reason? Never really understood this.. Could someone please explain?

Just curious.. When people say they ONLY bring carry on's with them, why is that? Is it because they don't want to pay baggage fees while flying, don't want to carry bags around, or is it another reason? Never really understood this.. Could someone please explain?

Convienence. We don't have to worry about checking a bag, and it being late, or not showing up- both of which has happened to us.

Also, if we arrive at the ship anywhere near 1:30, I can carry them directly to my room and unpack- no worry when they will show.

It also forces us to travel light. Which is good for some of the travels we do. Althoght that made using a Grand Suite funny, since we had more storage than we knew what to do with.....

Edited by alfaeric

Convienence. We don't have to worry about checking a bag, and it being late, or not showing up- both of which has happened to us.

Also, if we arrive at the ship anywhere near 1:30, I can carry them directly to my room and unpack- no worry when they will show.

It also forces us to travel light. Which is good for some of the travels we do. Althoght that made using a Grand Suite funny, since we had more storage than we knew what to do with.....

Thanks for the quick reply! It's better to have more space in cabin rather than be cluttered.

...plus you don't have to ask for extra hangers.

Many thanks for the quick replies, and helpful stress-relieving answers!

I was planning to ask the others going as well, but since CC is quite helpful and sometimes faster for answers, thought I'd start here for some input. I agree, we don't want to be the only super casual ones at our dinner, but so glad to know it is not necessarily a Tux only type place. I know many of the others attending are more of the laid back, casual style so they may be happy to know this as well.

Appreciate the help once again! Enjoy your cruises, wherever you may sail!

You can always skip the MDR... and eat in the Windjammer, one of the casual restaurants or order room service... many options.

You can always skip the MDR... and eat in the Windjammer, one of the casual restaurants or order room service... many options.

On the other hand, the OP won't be the only one in casual dress in the MDR, so I suppose he/she could choose to eat there if they wish.

On a company sponsored cruise, I would think going off by yourself would be frowned on. Usually this kind of trip is to promote team building.

We only travel with carry-on's and a backpack, and we are going on RCL for the first time for a work-related cruise. (have been on NCL, all casual & easy to pack) It seems we have one or two "formal" nights for dinner.

Would just a simple black & white travel skirt & plain black shirt work with sandals for this night? I don't own a formal dress nor have room in my carry-on, but could stuff in the skirt! I'm not sure if formal night just includes dresses/skirts instead of shorts.

And for my husband: would a white shirt & tie pass for formal? Not sure what he's planning for pants, though!

Thanks for any input-:)

It depends!

On our December 2013 Indy cruise, one of our table mates wore just a collared polo shirt to the second formal night. He was kinda brash, so maybe stared down the fashion control person if they happened to be at the entrance when he walked in. :)

We tend to obey the general guidelines as do most passengers. Some like to push the envelope.

Many years ago on Sovereign of Seas, one table mate wore a black T-Shirt, a nice one, but still a T-shirt. It was a 3 day week-end cruise if that mattered.

Agreed, especially with the suggestion you check to see what other's are wearing. Be aware that shorts are not allowed in the DR any night but the first night. Jeans are technically not allowed, but it depends on the Maitre D and how strict they are. Women can get away with capris.

We've cruised with RCI since 1980 and jeans have always been allowed in the MDR on any and every night. If you have anything official that disallows them, I would sure like to see it.

Women don't have to "get away with capris", they are acceptable in the MDR.

the OP's question should never interfere with an answer even if unrelated. how do you think some these folks have 50K post?

This was the post I was responding to:

Be aware that shorts are not allowed in the DR any night but the first night. Jeans are technically not allowed, but it depends on the Maitre D and how strict they are.

This post said shorts and jeans are not allowed, period.

This was the post I was responding to:

This post said shorts and jeans are not allowed' date=' period.[/quote']

how were you doing that if my post was after your post?

as multiple people have said that read the OP's post. if the company she works for is paying for the cruise. I'm guessing she should look like she is part of the team. Which IMO would mean wearing/where what they expect and eating with the company folks. if most of the company folks show up in the MDR in dresses and suits and she shows up in a knit skirt, a knit long sleeve type t-shirt and sandals. I would understand her management thinking that she thought was she better then the rest of the company folks or just didn't care. IMO, she needs to find out what the grounds rules are and not stick out. If everyone else goes to the MDR and she runs off to the WJ it will be noticed.

Edited by Sherlock43031

More for ME!!!!!!!

...and us.

Never knew there was such a shortage! :p

We actually keep the packed hangers quadroupled up until the shirt or dress is used. Then it gets it's own hanger until it's done. Then all the dirty hug stuff gets doubled, tripled, quad- etc. Kinda got into a routine of packing like that.

Work is paying and we of course will wear what we need to by their expectations. I have not known what those expectations were yet, and was mostly curious if formal night is strictly "Formal" (Tux or Suit Jacket/Tie, Long Dresses, etc...) At least no mention of top hats required! 8-)

As for traveling with only carry-on, pretty much the same as Alfaeric said: no lost, stolen or delayed baggage. (previous experiences we don't want to repeat!) No waiting at check-in or at the baggage carousal. And, the general ease of having just one bag, especially when hauling it up many flights of stairs! We're pretty simple folks, and have no problem mixing/matching the few clothes we bring and washing every few days. For us, it has paid off tremendously to pack light for the type of traveling we normally do.

Hmmm, now off to pack to see how well our packing skills actually are! And yes, hubby will wear his PANTS, not his lava-lava or tutu! :D

Oh, and we'll be sure to bring that monocle for formal night-that is definitely packable! ;)

One posted mentioned a "sig" - sorry, don't know what that is referring to?

But I have enjoyed the entertaining & enlightening comments of this thread! Thanks again everyone!

Edited by scubamom4

But I have enjoyed the entertaining & enlightening comments of this thread! Thanks again everyone!

Signature. Some text and/or graphics that you set to always appear at the end of your posts.

In that particular case the poster had a sig about obeying the rules under a post about not obeying the rules, which I found slightly ironic.

Have fun on your cruise! Sounds like a great company to work for.

Rule of thumb. When attending events, always dress according to the wishes of the entity paying for it. They are your host, regardless of the venue. It's their party, they set the rules. It's a pretty good rule of thumb not just for this particular question, but when attending weddings, bar mitzvahs, or just about any other event you are invited to.

In the case of a company-sponsored event, it should be based upon the suggested attire from either the person in charge of planning the event or the highest person in the company attending the event (you don't want to make a bad impression with the boss).

I can't tell you how many times I've been to a wedding where the invitation says "black tie optional" or "formal" and someone shows up in just a button down shirt (not even a dress shirt) and jeans or khaki pants. It annoys me to no end to disrespect the wishes of the host.

It's the signature area below the solid line (below what I'm writing here). Unless you are reading this via the app- I don't think it's seen.

You can edit that in your profile area.

I think the reference was the poster who commented about wearing what you want, when in the signature area it implied otherwise.

Oh, Go Vandals! :)

As a light packer who usually gets "free bags" on my flights, I always regret bringing more than a roll aboard and a back pack... for me it's the carrying, lugging, keeping track, finding and tipping porters that I don't like! I feel so fleet of foot and for land tours where I move every few days, i really have an easier time living out of one case. I pay for laundry and find it well worth it!

On cruises, clearly you can bring as much as you like, but when ever I do, I don't wear half of it and regret carrying it around. Actually the perfect thing for us on cruises is to bring our carry ons and just one roller garment bag for our dress up clothes, dress shoes if we feel like/need to dress up. It also gives us a place to check all our sun lotion that we can't carry on :D

It's the persons signature under their post...if you use the tapatalk app, you might not even see it. But that person had a quote that another poster was commenting on.

Edited by Familygoboston

Just curious... You mention that this is a work cruise, but not the type of work... (Different attire in a dentist's office that a Law office.) & you mentioned only packing a carry on & having a lot of space in a grand suite.

Is your boss paying for a grand suite?

I ask because, If you work in a dentists office & are going on a work cruise, that is probably more relaxed (with a more relaxed dress code expectation) than if you work in a law office where your daily attire is more like "formal" on RCCL than what more of your fellow cruisers will be wearing. Nice suit on a daily basis vs chinos, button down shirt & tie. My expectation of Dentist office attire is scrubs. If you boss always sees you in scrubs then your boss might not expect to see you in a cocktail dress.

& then again if your boss is paying for a grande suite, them you might be expected to dress like you are in the grande suite. (With the expectation that if you spend $10,000 on a suite vs $1,000 on an inside that you can afford to dress better.)

Just my opinions. (My family drives to the port so we can pack as much as we think will fit in our cabin & we like the excuse to dress up.)