How formal is formal?

scubamom4

We only travel with carry-on's and a backpack, and we are going on RCL for the first time for a work-related cruise. (have been on NCL, all casual & easy to pack) It seems we have one or two "formal" nights for dinner.

Would just a simple black & white travel skirt & plain black shirt work with sandals for this night? I don't own a formal dress nor have room in my carry-on, but could stuff in the skirt! I'm not sure if formal night just includes dresses/skirts instead of shorts.

And for my husband: would a white shirt & tie pass for formal? Not sure what he's planning for pants, though!

Thanks for any input-:)

You would normally be fine in the attire you suggest, but if you are going for work, how are the rest of your colleagues going to be attired? I normally don't care what other people think of my clothes, but I'd be embarrassed to be underdressed at a work function, especially if you are likely to be seated together for dinner.

I'd ask around at work what people are planning to wear, especially my boss if s/he is also going to be onboard.:)

Would just a simple black & white travel skirt & plain black shirt work with sandals for this night? I don't own a formal dress nor have room in my carry-on, but could stuff in the skirt! I'm not sure if formal night just includes dresses/skirts instead of shorts.

And for my husband: would a white shirt & tie pass for formal? Not sure what he's planning for pants, though!

You both will be just fine! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Formal is "formal." Having said that, many just don't bother. You'll see everything from Tuxes to T-shirts and blue jeans in the MDR. So do what you want. That's what others do. But as someone suggested, you may want to see how your colleagues are dressing.

Agreed, especially with the suggestion you check to see what other's are wearing. Be aware that shorts are not allowed in the DR any night but the first night. Jeans are technically not allowed, but it depends on the Maitre D and how strict they are. Women can get away with capris.

Many thanks for the quick replies, and helpful stress-relieving answers!

I was planning to ask the others going as well, but since CC is quite helpful and sometimes faster for answers, thought I'd start here for some input. I agree, we don't want to be the only super casual ones at our dinner, but so glad to know it is not necessarily a Tux only type place. I know many of the others attending are more of the laid back, casual style so they may be happy to know this as well.

Appreciate the help once again! Enjoy your cruises, wherever you may sail!

I just got back from the Enchantment yesterday, and I think it said somewhere to not do sandals in the MDR's on "formal" night? Maybe that's referring to flip-flop's, and I might have read that about the Concierge Lounge and not the MDR rules. Go into your ship's information's link on RCI's website and it should tell you what you need to know in the "Before You Board"....(or whatever that icon is called) section of their website. FYI only, although we were all in cocktail dresses and the men were wearing nice suits with ties, there were many more "casual/to be kind...." people in the MDR's for formal night. RCI prefers that casually attired people eat in the Windjammer on the formal nights, but I haven't seen that being enforced lately.

We only travel with carry-on's and a backpack, and we are going on RCL for the first time for a work-related cruise. (have been on NCL, all casual & easy to pack) It seems we have one or two "formal" nights for dinner.

They've relaxed the attire in the MDR quite a bit but...HE MUST WEAR PANTS :D

You would normally be fine in the attire you suggest, but if you are going for work, how are the rest of your colleagues going to be attired? I normally don't care what other people think of my clothes, but I'd be embarrassed to be underdressed at a work function, especially if you are likely to be seated together for dinner.

I'd ask around at work what people are planning to wear, especially my boss if s/he is also going to be onboard.:)

This would be my main concern for a work function. What's formal according to the cruise line or anyone else on this board has very little bearing compared to what your coworkers are wearing. Ultimately this is a work gig more than it is a vacation.

Guest maddycat
I just got back from the Enchantment yesterday, and I think it said somewhere to not do sandals in the MDR's on "formal" night? Maybe that's referring to flip-flop's, and I might have read that about the Concierge Lounge and not the MDR rules. Go into your ship's information's link on RCI's website and it should tell you what you need to know in the "Before You Board"....(or whatever that icon is called) section of their website. FYI only, although we were all in cocktail dresses and the men were wearing nice suits with ties, there were many more "casual/to be kind...." people in the MDR's for formal night. RCI prefers that casually attired people eat in the Windjammer on the formal nights, but I haven't seen that being enforced lately.

I never heard that before. CC members might post that they think that passengers who are not formally dressed on formal night should eat in the WJ.

However, RCI's dress code is only a suggestion and not a requirement.

This would be my main concern for a work function. What's formal according to the cruise line or anyone else on this board has very little bearing compared to what your coworkers are wearing. Ultimately this is a work gig more than it is a vacation.

Agreed - while they will certainly permit you into the MDR in the attire you suggest, for a work function, it's best to "conform" to the rest of the group. Last year, three new young associates wore jeans to the office holiday party (luncheon at a country club). Suffice it to say that it will never happen again - I thought the senior partner was going to have a stroke.

We do carry on only, too. But I manage to take a jacket, and my wife manages to take a dress. The way we do that is really focus on the rest of the trip to not over pack.

The new thing I added was to rent a tux on longer cruises. Opens up space that way. I like wearing the tux, and my wife likes it when I do. Don't really care what others think.

What you and your DH plan to wear on Formal nights on a RCCL cruise will work.

Have a great time on your rcruise. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

According to the "Cruise Compass" the daily rag of all that is going on for the day.......when they say that the night is to be "Formal"........they "suggest" the following. A tux or coat and tie for men.

Royal Caribbean states that "it's only a suggestion", and I have seen everything from t shirts and some shorts, as formal night on Royal Caribbean ships is nothing like Cunard, or other lines that expect a lady or gentleman dress for the occasion.

So, you will be fine....smart casual or better is in good taste, today.;)

Rick

Agreed - while they will certainly permit you into the MDR in the attire you suggest, for a work function, it's best to "conform" to the rest of the group. Last year, three new young associates wore jeans to the office holiday party (luncheon at a country club). Suffice it to say that it will never happen again - I thought the senior partner was going to have a stroke.

Yikes! Im glad that when im on a cruise ship, im on vacation and not at some stuffy office party where my clothes might affect the health of my coworker. I hope your partner was okay.

Yikes! Im glad that when im on a cruise ship, im on vacation and not at some stuffy office party where my clothes might affect the health of my coworker. I hope your partner was okay.

OP indicated that it was a "work-related cruise." Therefore, I suggested that dressing in accordance with the "suggested" guidelines might be appropriate since it did not appear to be strictly a "vacation."

I assume since she mentioned a work function that 'work' is paying for the cruise. How she dresses will not affect her co-workers but it might affect her if she stands out one way or the other from the other employees. if most show up in a cocktail dress and suits and she shows up in the old black pants pass for formal night attire and hubby casual. I could understand management types thinking she is not representing the company as they would like to be represented in such a public setting.

I assume since she mentioned a work function that 'work' is paying for the cruise. How she dresses will not affect her co-workers but it might affect her if she stands out one way or the other from the other employees. if most show up in a cocktail dress and suits and she shows up in the old black pants pass for formal night attire and hubby casual. I could understand management types thinking she is not representing the company as they would like to be represented in such a public setting.

And why I said im glad when im on a cruise, im on vacation. Ive been to many company sponsored events and the attire is always made clear. If the boss expects me in a Tux, im in a tux. It would be the at the request of the sponsor not necessarily the facility it was being held at. RCI asks for a very minimal level of attire in their MDR, even on formal nights. I will comply with their request and wear long pants and socks. Now if someone else wants to pick up the tab and wants to see how handsome I am in a tux, im all for it, otherwise I'll just pack a few pairs of socks.