Vancouver Hotels

zorrosuncle

If you're not adverse to rapid transit and walking a block or two, there's plenty more hotels downtown too. Personally, I go with the Sandman on West Georgia. It's a block away from the Stadium Skytrain station and the best part? The terminus station of that route takes me within spitting distance of the cruise terminal.

HAL put us in the Fairmont Waterfront last trip and now we are scheduled for the Pan Pacific in May.

The Fairmont is very nice, but like most Vancouver downtown hotels, the rooms are small. Service was great (they really helped us out in a medical emergency) and they picked up our luggage and took it right to the ship for us - next time we saw our bags was in our cabin!

There is a good food court in the basement of the Fairmont and access to the pier is very easy.

DaveOKC

HAL put us in the Fairmont Waterfront last trip and now we are scheduled for the Pan Pacific in May.DaveOKC

Did you have a view of the harbor and ship from the Fairmont...??

Last May we had a large, nice room in the Pan Pacific thru HAL....2 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise.....it was a great view of the city......but no harbor view.....

Me too, also.

Love that pre-cruise transfer by elevator. Just call the bellman to take

your bags from the room to the ship.

Me, three! PanPacific is a great location right above the ship terminal. And it's a beautiful hotel. Stayed there for two nights pre-Alaska cruise several years ago.

I had a lovely view of the harbor the last time I stayed at the Fairmont. Because my body was on eastern time, I woke early enough to look out and watch my ship come in, under the bridge, and dock in place. Although I couldn't see the entire ship (part of it was blocked by the Pan Pacific), I could see the captain's flag flying proudly from the stern.

It was a thrill.

Last May we had a large, nice room in the Pan Pacific thru HAL....2 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise.....it was a great view of the city......but no harbor view.....

We had a great ship and harbor view, but be advised that not all rooms have this view.

DaveOKC

I do not consider the Pan Pacific to extraordinarily expensive. We paid just over US$200 last year for a room.

igraf

I think there is a big difference in the pricing if you book it through HAL as part of their package or book it yourself ;)

I do not consider the Pan Pacific to extraordinarily expensive. We paid just over US$200 last year for a room.

igraf

I'm currently looking for a Vancouver hotel, and for my dates the PP is around $400 and Fairmont Waterfront is slightly less, around $350 IIRC.

Edited by CowPrincess

Price variations like that can happen. The Pan Pacific doubles as a convention center, so a convention will fill up the rooms. There was no convention in the Pan Pacific when we were there. On the other hand, we were unable to book a room at the Westin near Stanley Park because they had their own convention going on.

We booked our room on the Tuesday night before Memorial Day weekend for a Wednesday departure on the Volendam. The was another large cruise ship at the port that day, so our low price was not due to a light cruise ship load.

igraf

I'm currently looking for a Vancouver hotel, and for my dates the PP is around $400 and Fairmont Waterfront is slightly less, around $350 IIRC.
Edited by igraf

The Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront are very expensive by Vancouverite standards and the highest-priced in town. However, cruisers love that their bags are collected from their room and delivered directly to the ship. If you go just a half a block away, the hotels are more reasonably priced. Vancouver downtown (by the cruiseship terminal) has many excellent hotels, in walking distance to the port.

Price variations like that can happen. The Pan Pacific doubles as a convention center, so a convention will fill up the rooms. There was no convention in the Pan Pacific when we were there. On the other hand, we were unable to book a room at the Westin near Stanley Park because they had their own convention going on.

We booked our room on the Tuesday night before Memorial Day weekend for a Wednesday departure on the Volendam. The was another large cruise ship at the port that day, so our low price was not due to a light cruise ship load.

igraf

That would be the Westin Bayshore - which pretty much has a convention every week.;)

I was thinking the same thing and was only considering hotels away from Canada Place, but then my TA asked my if I was interested in staying at the Pan Pacific for CN$199 plus tax. That was not a difficult decision. Apparently there are discounts available from time to time. Check with your agent.

igraf

The Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront are very expensive by Vancouverite standards and the highest-priced in town. However, cruisers love that their bags are collected from their room and delivered directly to the ship. If you go just a half a block away, the hotels are more reasonably priced. Vancouver downtown (by the cruiseship terminal) has many excellent hotels, in walking distance to the port.

Seasonality has a huge impact.

If money is no object, you cannot do better than the Fairmont Pacific Rim. It is one block from Canada place, and they have a fleet of BMWs with which to provide you with a free transfer to the pier. It is my go-to spot for a downtown staycation.

The Waterfront is generally the least expensive of the four Fairmont properties in town, but it will be pricey on the evenings before sailings because of its proximity to the pier.

Moving farther afield you can significantly lower your price. Don't bother with skytrain or walking to get to the pier, though. Taxis are relatively inexpensive and plentiful, and the porters take your bags directly from the trunk of the cab at the terminal. Far better than lugging your own bags into the terminal.

All of the chain hotels in Vancouver are typical of their brands, and all of them are in perfectly fine locations. Hilton is conspicuous by their absence (though their is a Garden Inn), but Stanwood and IHG are well represented.

Boutique hotels should be examined with some care--the good ones are priced accordingly, the bargains generally have something that explains the lower price.