China's 72hr Visa free policy question

dchan865

Hey fellow cruisers,

Looks like I'll be skipping a cruise this year and doing a land trip and toying with the idea of making a pit stop in Beijing for 2 day sightseeing and then off to couple nearby Asian countries. I am planning on getting an "open-jaw" ticket so I can have better control without getting short random layovers.

My only concern is whether or not my "open-jaw" ticket/itinerary would be compatible with this Visa free policy since I technically don't have a layover. My sense is I am over thinking this. But if anyone have done something like this recently when going to Beijing, love to hear your comment.

Sample "open-jaw'" ticket:

June 1st, USA(SFO) -> Beijing(PEK)

June 3rd, Bejing(PEK) -> Malaysia(KUL)

June 10th, Singapore(SIN) -> USA

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hey fellow cruisers,

Looks like I'll be skipping a cruise this year and doing a land trip and toying with the idea of making a pit stop in Beijing for 2 day sightseeing and then off to couple nearby Asian countries. I am planning on getting an "open-jaw" ticket so I can have better control without getting short random layovers.

My only concern is whether or not my "open-jaw" ticket/itinerary would be compatible with this Visa free policy since I technically don't have a layover. My sense is I am over thinking this. But if anyone have done something like this recently when going to Beijing, love to hear your comment.

Sample "open-jaw'" ticket:

June 1st, USA(SFO) -> Beijing(PEK)

June 3rd, Bejing(PEK) -> Malaysia(KUL)

June 10th, Singapore(SIN) -> USA

You are in transit at PEK....you arrive on the 1st and leave on the 3rd. It's at KUL that you would not be in transit, since that's the start of your land journey.

The 72 hour visa-free layover is not "China-wide", but is just at PVG and PEK, at least for now. But you should be OK.

Depending on your luggage situation, you can take the Metro in Beijing, or plan on long taxi ride. If you are interested in redeeming hotel points, the Doubletree is a true bargain compared to other redemption options. It's about 5 miles from Tiananmen, but if you are going to use taxis anyhow, it's a standout points value.

Also, on your way home, if possible check in at SIN as early as your airline allows so that you can have time to experience Changi. Amazing airport, with its own swimming pool and spa, butterfly gallery, free movie theater, greenhouse wall and more.

We had an overnight in Shanghai (PVG) last year. We were in transit from LAX to BKK. We knew we were ok because we were not going to be in China more than 72 hours. When we went through immigration they took us to a separate desk where we had to show our paperwork for hotel reservations and our airline itinerary showing that we were only in transit. After studying all of our paperwork they let us through so just make sure you have all of your paperwork handy so you can show it to them.

Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate this. :)

GreatAm, glad to hear your input. I had thought the great wall was in the city so now it may not be a good idea to go. As I research this more, in light of many negatives we'll have to seriously think twice about making the side trip to Beijing.

Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate this. :)

GreatAm, glad to hear your input. I had thought the great wall was in the city so now it may not be a good idea to go. As I research this more, in light of many negatives we'll have to seriously think twice about making the side trip to Beijing.

I love Beijing, even without seeing the Great Wall. Sure, the Great Wall is amazing...but even then, the closest spots to Beijing (as you now know, not IN Beijing) are tacky and touristy. I did a 10-mile hike about 2.5 hours away from Beijing and it will forever go down as one of my truly amazing life experiences. Make sure you head back at some point for that. But not being able to see the Great Wall shouldn't stop you from seeing Beijing. Still tons to see, tons of history, great food.

And if you go to Tiananmen, know that there is a security screening before you can enter the square. Even more so, at Mao's mausoleum, you get another screening. NO bags, no cameras, no lighters. And no signs to tell you this, just guards to send you back. There is some kind of locker station across the street to the east, but know this in advance.

Also just east of the square is the National Museum. It is huge and delightful and could take your whole day. Entrance is free for tourists - you need to present your passports for the free ticket. Worth visiting and block out plenty of time.

Eventually we will as I know China is not to be missed even with the environmental problem some cities are having. We would like to one day sail on a river cruise up/down the Yantze river and visit some of the inland cities.