9 year old alone on ship

funtime238

I'm 35 now. when i was 9 it would be probably be acceptable and i would of loved exploring on my own, but with the psycho's of today wandering around, no i would not let my child go off alone. If it was a group of kids, say 3 or 4. Then i'd allow it, with strict rules of course but would want them to have those great memories of being parent free and exploring.

The crime rate is nearly at a 40 year low. Don't let the media frenzy influence your decisions.

While I did not let my 9-year-old wandering alone on ship, but if you are worried about other thousand+ people many of whom would be pretty drunk at any time of the day, what makes you think a 12-year-old is safe in that environment? How about those 14/15 year old? Are they safe with other thousand+ people many of whom would be pretty drunk at any time of the day?

either I'm surrounded by more 'drunk' people than I'm aware of or I need cruises that people have more fun. 'Thousands of people, many who are pretty drunk'...maybe drunk on guys burgers and ice cream cones

but to stay on topic, it would be better for kids to team up and travel together rather than wander alone. I think 99% of the time I would not be worried about their well being unless they have zero street smarts. Its the 1% of the time that is really troublesome if a creeper were to get a hold of them. Based on the number of unattended teens in the arcade in the evening, there are a lot of people that leave their kids unattended for extended periods of time...

I honestly don't think the times have changed as much as some think. We just hear about all the bad all the time now days. My kids are now 22 & 26 and I am sure that when I was young there were just as many of those "bad people" out there as there were when my kids were little and now.

It is about teaching your kids how to act when you are not around and when to trust a stranger and when not to. Use the same type of rules on a ship. Tell them to find someone with a Carnival name tag if someone bothers them (no matter what age). They are everywhere! Just like we learned to find a Policeman or someone like that.

You cannot wrap your kids in cotton to protect them from everything bad. Life happens. You have to not only be smart yourself, but teach your kids to be smart. As for it not being the time or place to foster independence in your child, anytime is a great time for that. Does not matter where you are. But you have to do it in baby steps.

It amazes me that some folks make it seem like all the pedophiles and people who would do your child harm are rounded up and put on a cruise ship! Of course, there is a chance, but guess what - there is a chance that there is one in your own family too. Teach them how to react to someone accosting them in a hallway.

It is not what your son may do or know to stear clear of, but the monsters ARE GROWN MEN, bigger, stronger and THEY SNATCH KIDS no matter what we teach them. I am talking about on the ship. My son knows where to punch, been taught to scream etc but if a monster wants to grab him and no one is around I do not think a 8/9/10 year old is winning that battle. That is why I am saying ON THE SHIP IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!

At 9 my son was a black belt in TKD. He could deliver a swift, hard kick to the private parts better than a full grown woman could.

Your chances of having your child be grabbed by a monster on a cruise are slim to none.

The crime rate is nearly at a 40 year low. Don't let the media frenzy influence your decisions.

I understand the media are fear mongers, but if i left my 9 year old alone, all i'd be thinking about was his/her well-being and not enjoying myself. I think it's important to let your kids do things like this, but not alone. A small group of kids, i'd absolutely allow it. It's their vacation too.

It is not what your son may do or know to stear clear of, but the monsters ARE GROWN MEN, bigger, stronger and THEY SNATCH KIDS no matter what we teach them. I am talking about on the ship. My son knows where to punch, been taught to scream etc but if a monster wants to grab him and no one is around I do not think a 8/9/10 year old is winning that battle. That is why I am saying ON THE SHIP IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!

Where on a cruise ship is there no one around? There are always people around. If your child started doing what they were taught to do if a monster grabbed them then I would say it is a safe bet that someone would jump in and help that child. There are way more good people in the world than the monsters.

I don't think the point of the 9-year age limit is to imply that that is an appropriate age for children to be "roaming the ship", rather, it is the youngest age that Carnival will allow parents to exercise their judgement to let their children go from point A to point B.

While theoretically, it could result in parents applying poor judgement to allow their 9 year old children to roam the ship unsupervised, I don't think Carnival should make the limit higher. They're not saying it is okay for all 9 year olds to sign themselves out (or to "roam the ship"). They're saying that if you as a parent think it is okay for them to sign themselves out, then they won't prevent you from exercising your judgement.

I'm not sure if I would have let my children (now older teens) sign themselves out at age 9, but I agree that the earliest appropriate age is somewhere in that range or slightly higher.

And like many others, I was walking myself to school at age 7 with a house key around my neck. Times may have changed, but the risk to children hasn't. The only thing that has changed is people's awareness of the risk (i.e., now you hear about every "incident" that happens in the world, whereas you used to only hear about things that happened locally) and people's paranoia has increased.

And while I respect the parenting philosophy of safety and prevention, it does not come without a cost. When you overprotect your children you take away their ability to learn to protect themselves. They can't suddenly develop that skill when they get older. It is something that takes time and experience, so the longer you wait, the older they will be before they're fully capable of assessing the safety of various situations.

Edited by T. Advisor King

I understand the media are fear mongers, but if i left my 9 year old alone, all i'd be thinking about was his/her well-being and not enjoying myself. I think it's important to let your kids do things like this, but not alone. A small group of kids, i'd absolutely allow it. It's their vacation too.

Oh for sure, I'd be worried sick. My son is 15 now and I *still worry about him getting on a school bus. I let him have a lot of freedom but that doesn't mean I'm not an anxious wreck.

Please don't be sexist and teach your children that men are dangerous; there are plenty of monsters who are grown women. It's actively harmful to the child in case he or she ever gets lots. There have been documented cases of lost children intentionally ignoring search parties because the first responders looking for them are male. The children remained in danger much longer because they were doing as instructed.

This view is a little extreme. I went on a cruise with my son and I, and another couple and their daughter. My son LOVED it. He was 12, and I'd never let him run around alone, but also, it didn't feel like prison either to him. He had a blast and can't wait to go back. Just like any place / situation in life, if you are doing your job as a parent, keeping them in tabs when they need to be / at the appropriate ages, all will go well. My son is now 15 and we're going on a cruise in July, and he can't wait. I'll be nervous, but probably let him have a little more freedom this time around.

I'm looking back to a cruise we took on the Inspiration. On the Lido deck we were having breakfast and there were two boys that were about 10 years old dousing Tabasco sauce onto bread and feeding it to the gulls. They were having a grand time. They also threw a saucer off the ship. No one said anything except for me. I got up and told them that I had them on camera harassing the gulls and throwing dishes off the ship. I told them that security was on their way and asked where their parents were. They didn't stick around and I never saw them the rest of the cruise. Even though there were two of them, I've witnessed groups of kids roaming the hallways, blocking the stair wells, and playing on the elevators. I'm sure everyone thinks their kids can do no wrong and that all cruisers are trustworthy. I'm extreme when I see extreme.

Jaycee Dugard was 11 when she got kidnapped standing at a bus stop, the man and woman who kidnapped her lived less than 1/2 a mile from our home. How dangerous is that?

My son was 9 on our last cruise, we had two children kind of attach themselves to us one day at the pool, a 9yr old boy and his 6 yr old sister. After chatting a bit with them, discovered their parents left them on the ship alone while they went on Shore. Put the 9 yr old in charge of his sister. I was in shock. At that age my son was never out of either my or my husbands sight. Our next cruise is April and he will be 12. I think that if he is with other kids, I will give him some freedom, with appropriate rules and chk-ins. Will have to see how it works out once we get on the ship. I trust my son,,,, but too many strangers in one place can just lead to trouble. Why make it easy.

I am sure you trusted your children... did you trust the other thousand+ people many of whom would be pretty drunk at any time of the day?

IMO - 9 is way too young to be walking around on the ship unsupervised

I would argue that the vast majority of people on the ship are good people, not to mention the staff and security cameras. I would think if there was a person looking to do someone harm, the rest of the "good people" would intervene. And "many of whom would be pretty drunk at any time of the day", really? I haven't experienced that on any of the cruises I've been on although they've been 7 day cruises. Are drunk people more likely to do harm to a child that sober people? I think if you're out to harm children it doesn't matter if you're drunk or not.

Edited by L&J

I don't think the point of the 9-year age limit is to imply that that is an appropriate age for children to be "roaming the ship", rather, it is the youngest age that Carnival will allow parents to exercise their judgement to let their children go from point A to point B.

While theoretically, it could result in parents applying poor judgement to allow their 9 year old children to roam the ship unsupervised, I don't think Carnival should make the limit higher. They're not saying it is okay for all 9 year olds to sign themselves out (or to "roam the ship"). They're saying that if you as a parent think it is okay for them to sign themselves out, then they won't prevent you from exercising your judgement.

I'm not sure if I would have let my children (now older teens) sign themselves out at age 9, but I agree that the earliest appropriate age is somewhere in that range or slightly higher.

And like many others, I was walking myself to school at age 7 with a house key around my neck. Times may have changed, but the risk to children hasn't. The only thing that has changed is people's awareness of the risk (i.e., now you hear about every "incident" that happens in the world, whereas you used to only hear about things that happened locally) and people's paranoia has increased.

And while I respect the parenting philosophy of safety and prevention, it does not come without a cost. When you overprotect your children you take away their ability to learn to protect themselves. They can't suddenly develop that skill when they get older. It is something that takes time and experience, so the longer you wait, the older they will be before they're fully capable of assessing the safety of various situations.

Well said.

We cruised in June with our 10 year old. I would not let him sign himself out or participate in any youth activities w/o direct adult supervision. It wasn't so much about not trusting him but not trusting others on the ship. You don't know who you are cruising with and for a small town boy (1 school school district) a Carnival ship is a very big place.

Next year, we'll be cruising again and he'll be 12. He'll have more opportunity for freedom but we'll expect him to be at Camp Carnival or with us. Not in our room alone. Not in someone else's room. Not playing on the stairs or the elevators. And if he gets caught breaking the rules, there will be consequences.

I just think 11 and under is too young (and I think 12 is too young too) to allow them to sign themselves out. Too many variables and opportunities to get into trouble.

It's interesting to see how many posters are simply appalled that some would ever consider allowing their child to have signing out privileges.

I, personally, do not have any children of my own however my niece has been cruising with me since she was 4 years old. She's 10 now and last year was her first year that signing out of camp was even an option. I agree with a pp who said it's not to much the age, but truly varies on the child.

For my family, last year we did allow my niece to have signing out privileges. However, those rights came with a set of rules. At no time during our cruise did we ever fear for her safety. This could be because her previous 2 cruises were on the sister ship and also because we feel she is far beyond her age where maturity is concerned.

This is definitely something that is to each their own where decisions are concerned. Whatever a parent/guardian decides is ultimately the right one for THEIR child and their cruising experience.

Edited by BabyJacks17

I would argue that the vast majority of people on the ship are good people, not to mention the staff and security cameras. I would think if there was a person looking to do someone harm, the rest of the "good people" would intervene. And "many of whom would be pretty drunk at any time of the day", really? I haven't experienced that on any of the cruises I've been on although they've been 7 day cruises.

Also, if alcohol turned people into pedophiles, it would be banned. I could be on the verge of passing out and I would never, ever, harm a child. I'm guessing that's true for 99.999% of the cruise population.

Unfortunately, the world is a scarier place than when I was a kid.

I also grew up in the times when we walked to school unsupervised, but times have changed a lot since then.

I know this is a common perception, but it's just not true. Crime rates are not generally worse. Child abduction and child abuse by strangers are both exceedingly rare. Your child is much more likely to be abused by a relative or family friend than by a stranger on a cruise.

To each their own when it comes to parenting, but your decisions should be based on a solid understanding of the facts and not a general feeling that the world is less safe based on the 24-hour news cycle.

I'm looking back to a cruise we took on the Inspiration. On the Lido deck we were having breakfast and there were two boys that were about 10 years old dousing Tabasco sauce onto bread and feeding it to the gulls. They were having a grand time. They also threw a saucer off the ship. No one said anything except for me. I got up and told them that I had them on camera harassing the gulls and throwing dishes off the ship. I told them that security was on their way and asked where their parents were. They didn't stick around and I never saw them the rest of the cruise. Even though there were two of them, I've witnessed groups of kids roaming the hallways, blocking the stair wells, and playing on the elevators. I'm sure everyone thinks their kids can do no wrong and that all cruisers are trustworthy. I'm extreme when I see extreme.

Jaycee Dugard was 11 when she got kidnapped standing at a bus stop, the man and woman who kidnapped her lived less than 1/2 a mile from our home. How dangerous is that?

That's freaky about Jaycee Duggard. I'd have a really hard time not being paranoid.

With kids blocking stairways, a simple "Excuse me, please." Usually gets them jumping out of my way. With the little freaks hurting the seagulls, that goes beyond harmless kid mischief and I'd be hunting down their parents.

You're right. I agree. These pedophiles can be within your family or close friends as well. However, if you're prtective of your kids in public, at home, in your city etc. Why let them roam free on a ship around a bunch of people you don't know. There's no screening for criminals on a cruise ship. No background checks. I worry if I tell my daughter go run to the cabin to grab your towel that some guy can come out of his cabin and touch her inappropriately or try flirting with her or even worse. That doesn't make me paranoid. I'm a protective mother. Everyone isn't trustworthy. I guess my radar is always on due to me having daughters.

It's interesting to see how many posters are simply appalled that some would ever consider allowing their child to have signing out privileges.

I, personally, do not have any children of my own however my niece has been cruising with me since she was 4 years old. She's 10 now and last year was her first year that signing out of camp was even an option. I agree with a pp who said it's not to much the age, but truly varies on the child.

For my family, last year we did allow my niece to have signing out privileges. However, those rights came with a set of rules. At no time during our cruise did we ever fear for her safety. This could be because her previous 2 cruises were on the sister ship and also because we feel she is far beyond her age where maturity is concerned.

This is definitely something that is to each their own where decisions are concerned. Whatever a parent/guardian decides is ultimately the right one for THEIR child and their cruising experience.

I agree that at the end of the day to "each his own" but there should be extreme discretion used when allowing your child to sign out of camp Carnival alone.

You mentioned that the maturity of the child should be a consideration but I think that should not be the only thing to be concerned about. You also have to be concerned about the actions of others too. A child can be as mature as possible but if there is someone who wants to do them any harm maturity doesn't do any good.

You're right. I agree. These pedophiles can be within your family or close friends as well. However, if you're prtective of your kids in public, at home, in your city etc. Why let them roam free on a ship around a bunch of people you don't know. There's no screening for criminals on a cruise ship. No background checks. I worry if I tell my daughter go run to the cabin to grab your towel that some guy can come out of his cabin and touch her inappropriately or try flirting with her or even worse. That doesn't make me paranoid. I'm a protective mother. Everyone isn't trustworthy. I guess my radar is always on due to me having daughters.

I only have a son and I do know that if he was a girl, she would be locked in Rapunzel's tower.

I know this is a common perception, but it's just not true. Crime rates are not generally worse. Child abduction and child abuse by strangers are both exceedingly rare. Your child is much more likely to be abused by a relative or family friend than by a stranger on a cruise.

To each their own when it comes to parenting, but your decisions should be based on a solid understanding of the facts and not a general feeling that the world is less safe based on the 24-hour news cycle.

I agree.

Really it comes down to personal parenting style and comfort. We are cruising with our 9 (almost 10) and 8 year old kids next week. The older one will not be allowed to sign himself out and they will not be allowed to roam the ship however they will be given some responsibility to move about on their own providing they stay together and carry the walkie talkie at all times.

I have been watching a situation for a while and am curious. It seems there is an option for any child older than 9 to sign themselves out of camp if permitted by a parent. Kids not checked into the camp can also have free rein of the ship if allowed by parents. My question is for the parent who allows this. Why?

I am not trying to be cute, or start a huge argument, or make anyone nervous. I truly don't get it. I am older (much older), but having been in education for a few years, I am familiar with the innocence of children 9-12. It is a cute age.

Do the parents that allow their children this option also allow them to go to the local mall alone? Or with a friend? A cruise ship is like a huge mall to me. Except with unlimited alcohol available for adults. Both have quite a few strangers around. At least at the mall one might assume the child your child is with would be someone you knew. Not always so on a cruise.

So the question is, am I just too old fashion or too uneasy or not trusting enough?

Hi,

No you are not old fashioned. I did let my son sign in and out when he was 9. However we did have guidelines in place and he knew that was a privilege he was given. We had a set time and location where he must meet us to check in. If he didn't follow the guidelines he would get the privilege taken away. I am a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) so I can understand parents concerns about their children having this privilege. He is now 13 so he can do what he wants on the ship. It really depends on how the parents feel about this they know their children so only them could make the decision. Please don't flame me as I am just giving my opinion!

Edited by christmas