Best dates for the Mediterranean

judla

Can anyone please tell me the best dates/time of year for a Mediterranean cruise? We would like to go when the kids are in school and it isn't too hot. Are fares cheaper in the Spring of Fall? Which sailing should we do and which should we eliminate? Just got off the New Year's Eve 11 day cruise on the Equinox and despite the weather had a wonderful time. Looking forward to planning the next one.

I would go in May. The airline tickets are usually cheaper in May and I have personally gone to Europe in May and in September and the vibe is different. In the spring the people in the shops and at the sights are more energized. The days seem longer in May with more sunlight. Not that September is a bad time to go. I just prefer May in Europe.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. We have taken 3 med cruises, each of them was the final sailing before the TA cruise. We also did one cruise around Great Britain same way, cruise b4 the TA.

We loved all of them. Weather cooler and crowds gone. The only downside is some of the tourist attractions were closed. We didn't mind.

Late September or Early-mid October are great. Crowds have lessened and the weather is still warm without being too hot. Any later and it can start to turn a bit cool although crowds are well down in November.

Can anyone please tell me the best dates/time of year for a Mediterranean cruise? We would like to go when the kids are in school and it isn't too hot. Are fares cheaper in the Spring of Fall? Which sailing should we do and which should we eliminate? Just got off the New Year's Eve 11 day cruise on the Equinox and despite the weather had a wonderful time. Looking forward to planning the next one.

Was the weather bad on your cruise? We had friends on the same cruise...they are still in Fla. extending their vacation.

Thanks, I would also to hear if September is a good time..we are looking at a Med. cruise, too

We book our med cruise last April on the Equinox for Oct 14 it was 2100 each when I booked a A1 on the hump looked today and its about 2900 each .I was able to get the drink package at a later date and 100 bucks on board credit. So very happy I booked when I did because prices keep going up .

Glad you liked the Equinox we have not sailed on that ship yet looking forward to this wonderful trip.:)

Hi,

I would endorse May or early to mid June. Good weather, light nights and less crowds. Please be aware that the last weekend of May leading into the first week of June is school holidays in the UK, you will find lots of British families head to the med during this school break.

Regards Debbie

We went to the Med in late April last year and are saying Reflection in May this year. We like the spring ---- spring really is in the air, flowers are starting to bloom, weather is cooler and there are fewer tourists around, prices are lower, and everyone in the ports seems energized for the season. Personally, I would/t do mid summer --- too HOT and crowded for strenuous sightseeing.

Edited by cynbar

I always try to travel and/or cruise in Europe in the off season. I really don't do well in heat and I dislike all the crowds that descend in the summer. (For example, I'm going to Italy for two weeks in mid-February.)

It's really a personal decision, as some people worry about cooler, potentially rainier weather in the Fall (from October onward). Though I have to admit I've taken several Med cruises in the Fall and the weather has in general been great. Maybe 1 rainy or gloomy day out of 10 or 12.

Another thing to consider, if you are a beachgoer, is that the sea will still be pretty chilly in the Spring, even when air temps are warm. If that is important, consider September when the water is still fairly warm from the summer temps.

In later Fall, the Eastern Med is a better bet for milder/less rainy weather than the Western Med. And of course the more southern Med ports are nicer in late Fall -- e.g., Tunisia, Sicily, Israel, some of the Greek isles.

Personally, I like the very EDGE of the shoulder season: late April into early May and mid-October into late November are my favorite times to cruise! Those times also tend to be a slightly better value both in terms of airfare and cruise fare.

First two weeks in June or last 2 weeks in September if you want it to be nice and warm. April/May can be cool and rainy in some parts (the more northern/western ports). We cruised the first week in May last year and had 2 very rainy days. Avoid the last week in May which is school holidays (as the prices will probably show).

If I only had once choice mid-September, after the kids have gone back to school and while the days are still quite long and warm (and the sea is warm as mentioned above) is a lovely time to go.

Edited by Bobal

Any recommendations as to embarkment ports that would be easier, cheaper to get to from the US?

I heard it's best to fly into say Barcelona rather than Venice or Rome to start a Med Cruise.

Any comments on what's an easy embarkment port for 1st time cruising the Med?

Any recommendations as to embarkment ports that would be easier, cheaper to get to from the US?

I heard it's best to fly into say Barcelona rather than Venice or Rome to start a Med Cruise.

Any comments on what's an easy embarkment port for 1st time cruising the Med?

Barcelona may be one of the easier ports to get to from the airport, but it's important to look at the bigger picture...

Some of these ports are outstanding places to visit in their own right, and many cruisers would recommend spending a minimum of two (or three, or longer if possible) days in that city before boarding your cruise.

Otherwise, you may be kicking yourself if you just arrive at a city like Rome or Venice or Athens or Barcelona but only plan to spending one overnight before boarding your cruise. You'll be jetlagged and won't get a chance to see much....

So, IMO, the better way to look at it is which city would you want to arrive in and spend a few days seeing before starting your cruise?

Which area of the Med? My last cruise there was in 2012 from late September though early November. Some days and places were very hot. Crowds were awful. The population increase in some places plus all the cruise ships have made many places much more crowded. Spring might be cooler, but not as dry.

Barcelona may be one of the easier ports to get to from the airport, but it's important to look at the bigger picture...

Some of these ports are outstanding places to visit in their own right, and many cruisers would recommend spending a minimum of two (or three, or longer if possible) days in that city before boarding your cruise.

Otherwise, you may be kicking yourself if you just arrive at a city like Rome or Venice or Athens or Barcelona but only plan to spending one overnight before boarding your cruise. You'll be jetlagged and won't get a chance to see much....

So, IMO, the better way to look at it is which city would you want to arrive in and spend a few days seeing before starting your cruise?

Which Med port stop that is also an embarkment port would you suggest needs more than a day to see the surrounding sights? Rome or Venice?

We have done late September/early-mid October for the past few years. It worked out well. We also like May. We like Istanbul as an embarkation port and we prefer eastern Med cruises.

One reason we have gone in Sept/Oct for the past few years have been the lower fares. We would normally do land tours but the cruise fares were so low compared to previous years that we decided to incorporate them into our travels. We watch the fares through July/August and then book in August or early Sept. if an attractive offer comes our way. So far this has worked. Not certain about this year as the economy is getting better.

One thing is for certain...avoid the summer months if at all possible.

I did a Med. cruise on Summit which sailed June 3, '09--Barcelona to Venice. Weather was not bad except in Athens. The tour guides were on strike for just that day (figures!) and we did our own tour (5 hrs), using the ship shuttle to get into the city, instead of the planned 10 hr one. It was a blessing in disguise because I don't think my friend or I would have survived so long in that heat. We walked to the Acropolisus and later took the double-decker bus without hopping off/on.

The weather in Barcelona and Venice and the other ports (Nice, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples/Capri, Santorini (in Greece, but not as hot) and Dubrovnik was warm, but not stifling.

My sister and her husband did a Med. cruise on Brilliance in Oct. '09 and the weather was great. It was round-trip from Barcelona with 6 of the same ports.

We cruised from Istanbul to Barcelona in early September 2010. It was fairly hot in Turkey (Istanbul and Ephesus) and warm but not uncomfortable in Santorini, Sorrento, Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo, St. Tropez and Barcelona. The weather was beautiful - no rain at all on any of our stops. Probably late September or early October would be even a little more comfortable and less crowded.

We have cruised the Med (or nearby) twice in late Oct / early Nov. Perhaps we were fortunate, but both times we had wonderful sightseeing weather. It was incredible being the only ship in almost every port. I can't imagine enjoying Santorini with 5 (or more) ships anchored there. We actually have photos of us at the Pantheon in Athens with no one else in the photo. Try that in June or September - it will never happen!

To answer the question about the "Cheapest" embarkation port to fly to? Istanbul is the cheapest if you live near an airport that Air Turkey serves. The US carriers match their prices. We spent three days in Istanbul pre-cruise and it was not enough. Considering doing another Istanbul embarkation and would need at least two more days to see all we would like to see!

Which Med port stop that is also an embarkment port would you suggest needs more than a day to see the surrounding sights? Rome or Venice?

Any of them really need two days minimum. Most US flights tend to arrive in the morning, leaving you only about a half-day on day one to sightsee (once you get through the airport and to your hotel). Plus there's the jet lag, which doesn't bother me much but some people find it hard to keep going that first day.

For the most common departure ports, I'd say to allow 2 days minimum for Athens, Barcelona or Venice, and 3 days for Rome or Istanbul.

...and that's still just scratching the surface.

I'd certainly go in early summer.....May/June. It's more settled. We did a Med cruise in October 2012 and missed some ports as we had a terrible storm. October in the Med can be wonderful or horrendous. We were in a force 12 storm and sat it out, anchored at sea.

Late spring...........May/June........is a great time...........temperatures are warm, seas are calm and you don't get all the tourists.

We took oct 25 cruise Rome to Venice with a couple of extra days in each end -- had perfect weather from 60s to low 70s mostly no rain at all. Cool nights & little fog in Venice. It included Amalfi coast Greece & Croatia

Everything was open. Most kids were in school but sites were a bit crowded. I wouldn't want to travel here in summer

Wonderful trip

May and June can be good in the Med - avoids European holidays and the more intense heat of summer. September at the other end of the European holidays.

As for embarkation ports -well I think it should depend upon the itinery that you want. Barca is an easy port to get to; Rome is an hour or so from the port but in the scheme of things ???

Edited by TheBeeSea