Lunch at Half Moon Cay

DJ95

Returning to the ship for lunch would be a huge hassle and take away from my beach time. The last two times we've been to Half Moon Cay we thought the barbecue was awful. Lines were long (2 ships), people were pushy, and the food was overlooked and dried out. We've decided that next time we'll have a big breakfast and take a couple snack bars with us to shore. Onboard time in November was 2:30. Hardly even need to take time for lunch. Even tho we are not impressed with the food, Half Moon is by far our favorite private island.

I usually consider bbq to refer to how the food is cooked, not necessarily related to north, south, east or west. Throw whatever on a grill and it becomes bbq to this New Jersey girl.

Anyway, I never cared for the food served at HAL's on-deck bbq, but still always ate it when offered because it was a fun party. Others love the food. it's just a matter of taste and what we grew up with, I think. I missed the bbq last time I was at HMC, but will try to make it this time.

Maureen

How do they do the lunch for the villas with Butler option? Does the steward just bring trays of food from the normal food lines to the Villas? That's fine if it is, it just wasn't explained well in the Excursions details. All it says is the 'you will get lunch served with appetizer, entree and dessert.'

Also, besides the Pirate Ship, what other full-service bars are on the island? And where are they located? I really could not make it out from the various maps that are online.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

How do they do the lunch for the villas with Butler option? Does the steward just bring trays of food from the normal food lines to the Villas? That's fine if it is, it just wasn't explained well in the Excursions details. All it says is the 'you will get lunch served with appetizer, entree and dessert.'

Also, besides the Pirate Ship, what other full-service bars are on the island? And where are they located? I really could not make it out from the various maps that are online.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

There are bars in the main area along with the "I wish I could stay here forever" bar (I think that's the right name) - it's just a short walk.

can't help you with the villa question sorry. If you do the Private Oasis, lunch is cooked right there for you on the bbq there. Did it once and it was very good

How do they do the lunch for the villas with Butler option? Does the steward just bring trays of food from the normal food lines to the Villas?

If you have a cabana with a butler, you have all drinks included all day. Your meal is from the Pinnacle Grill. A truck will deliver your order, all cooked and hot, and your butler will set it out for you.

It's a lot of fun.

<snip>

In addition to the lunch served from Pinnacle, if there is something from the beach barbeque, your butler will get it for you.

Maybe you feel like tasting one of the ribs or fish or whatever.....

too crowded, too many flies and the food isn't that great. I wish that they kept some of the items that they move to the island on board and they might actually taste better. I think the ribs are pork, not beef. The burgers are cooked on the island but are still to well done for us. We just enjoy the empty Lido on that day. We are not willing to spend a thou to have a meal in a cabana. I'd rather use the money for a bigger cabin.

Edited by SeaBands

too crowded, too many flies and the food isn't that great. I wish that they kept some of the items that they move to the island on board and they might actually taste better. I think the ribs are pork, not beef. The burgers are cooked on the island but are still to well done for us. We just enjoy the empty Lido on that day. We are not willing to spend a thou to have a meal in a cabana. I'd rather use the money for a bigger cabin.

I think the ribs are pork and that is why we like them. ;)

I'm not a fan of beef ribs....... that is for short ribs, not barbeque ribs. IMO :D They will never please all the people all the time.

The burgers have to be cooked well per USPH regulations. I think it's about all those nasty bacteria which can be deadly.

I can just imagine the threads here on CC if people eat rare burgers at HMC or on HAL ships and become seriously ill from undercooked beef. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

We haven't done the cabana but have done the Oasis. It's doesn't cost that kind of money if you have a group you are sharing with. ;) One of the joys of a roll call is that you can find some like minded people that want to try something different :) It's no different than another tour or two with HAL :) We too have stayed on the ship and enjoyed that and have also gotten off at HMC and enjoyed that. It just depends. Don't sell anything short until you have tried it;):D

Edited by kazu

We from New England think that is what a barbeque is. :D

DH and I enjoy our lunch at HMC. Ribs are a treat I never allow myself anywhere except at HMC.

Yes, we've had Southern barbeque and it's yummy.

We had this conversation in another thread this week.... the different terms we use from various regions of the country. It all started when I called the sprinkles put on ice cream 'jimmies' as that is the word we use in Boston.

Jimmies it is!

Definitely jimmies! I used to get them on my cones at Brigham's!

I am not a fan of the barbecue at HMC. We always enjoy eating in the Lido on that day. No lines, no problem finding a table.

I think the confusion in terms comes from the fact that "barbecue" up north means "cookout." So it includes burgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc.

in the South, "barbecue" means the meat itself. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, eat.

I have lived in Boston and Houston, and that is the difference I have seen in the use of the word.

Edited by Oceanwench

Thanks for the good words on what we can expect with the Villa. I trust that the Butler assigned to our party will take care of us.

BTW. not expecting any North Caroline 'cue, but will definitely try the ribs in addition to whatever we have delivered.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Was just there this past week (was it only a few days ago?? …sigh…) Only one ship… We walked over about 12:30…no line… the chicken was hot and tender and delicious, enjoyed the fruit salad and brownies. It was cool in the shade, lots of picnic benches as we listened to the music to from the guitarist from the ship. NO BUGS or FLIES just the occasion rooster or chicken walking under our table!! Very enjoyable!

Then back to the beach to swim…. wish I were there now!! :)