Royal: BALCONY BALCONY DOOR BLOCKED WHEN UPPER BERTH IS IN USE

JenCruisesAgain

We had a similar notice for our Emerald mini suite, that the balcony door was blocked if the sofa bed was opened up. Since there were only the two of us and we did not use the sofa bed, there was no problem and the door was not blocked.

The upper berth in some cabins are over the sofa area. When it is put down for the night, it partially blocks the balcony door. I saw a photo somewhere, you can still get out there but you have to duck under the bed frame. Since the bed is up during the day, its only an issue at night.

And since the dividers are locked, the balcony door is not considered a fire exit.

BALCONY BALCONY DOOR BLOCKED WHEN UPPER BERTH IS IN USE

Anyone know what this means? We are booked for April and just saw this warning on the room.

Here is a picture of a standard balcony with the bunk bed recessed (the rectangular outline in the ceiling near the curtains). You can see how that, when the bed is lowered, it would block access to the balcony...

Stateroom C502

11269973666_875857b703_c.jpg

Here is a picture of a standard balcony with the bunk bed recessed (the rectangular outline in the ceiling near the curtains). You can see how that, when the bed is lowered, it would block access to the balcony...

Thank you! That's very helpful. I think only some rooms are like this and not all of them. We have two rooms booked and that warning is only on one of the rooms. Since we've cruised with the upper berths before I know how low they swing. Getting out to the balcony is still doable.

Of course it is!

If the fires in the main passageway then you have no choice. :eek:

I don't believe the balcony door is considered a fire exit. No method to exit the ship, etc. - unless you plan on jumping.

Edited by CI66774
  • Like 1

We have had the same notification for D620 on the Regal Princess for a Mediterranean cruise in July, we have got 4 booked in the cabin (no mini suites available). One daughter on the sofa bed, one on the drop down bed. I am wondering if the sofa bed is big enough to accomodate 2!

We have had the same notification for D620 on the Regal Princess for a Mediterranean cruise in July, we have got 4 booked in the cabin (no mini suites available). One daughter on the sofa bed, one on the drop down bed. I am wondering if the sofa bed is big enough to accomodate 2!

Usually the sofa is a love seat size and the pullout bed is much smaller then a normal pullout sofa.

Exactly. Its like a high rise balcony. It's a place to go but its not a fire exit as your options do not improve much if you go there.

I don't believe the balcony door is considered a fire exit. No method to exit the ship, etc. - unless you plan on jumping.

Not gonna sit in my cabin and wait......

Probably feel a whole lot better taking my chances outside then burning to death.

I understand. I think we'd be dead with either option. Jumping into the ocean from an extreme height is like jumping into concrete. Maybe I'd try to climb up from the outside. Let's hope it never happens to anyone!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Stateroom C502

Thanks for this I was completely confused when it came up on my search, so for cabins where this doesn't appear where would the third bed be?

So do we reckon we could open balcony door and pop under bed whilst daughter is asleep? Hopefully not waking her as we draw the curtains back.

Anyone been in one of these cabins?

Stateroom C502

Great photo ! I've been wondering what the configuration was, and the Princess website doesn't provide much information.

Thanks!

Thanks for this I was completely confused when it came up on my search, so for cabins where this doesn't appear where would the third bed be?

So do we reckon we could open balcony door and pop under bed whilst daughter is asleep? Hopefully not waking her as we draw the curtains back.

Anyone been in one of these cabins?

The bunk bed descends from the ceiling with a large metal panel (the full length of the bed frame, and the full height of the space between the bed up to the hole in which it came) attached to the back side of the bed. The entire upper portion of the balcony door will be blocked/obstructed. However, the height at which the bunk bed rests once it is in place should still allow you to be able to reach the handle to the balcony door.

When the room attendants make up the room for the evening they always draw the curtains closed, so you may have some difficulty opening/closing the curtains fully depending in how close the bed is to the doors/curtains.

And with these types of bunk bed accommodations the room attendants may lock the balcony door until the next morning when the bed is retracted back into the ceiling. If he doesn't, you'll have literally crawl under the bed frame to get to the balcony. With all of the wrangling of curtains and opening and closing of the balcony door, unless your daughter is a heavy sleeper, it may wake her up.

Just make sure you don't accidentally lock yourself outside!

:D

The bunk bed descends from the ceiling with a large metal panel (the full length of the bed frame, and the full height of the space between the bed up to the hole in which it came) attached to the back side of the bed. The entire upper portion of the balcony door will be blocked/obstructed. However, the height at which the bunk bed rests once it is in place should still allow you to be able to reach the handle to the balcony door.

When the room attendants make up the room for the evening they always draw the curtains closed, so you may have some difficulty opening/closing the curtains fully depending in how close the bed is to the doors/curtains.

And with these types of bunk bed accommodations the room attendants may lock the balcony door until the next morning when the bed is retracted back into the ceiling. If he doesn't, you'll have literally crawl under the bed frame to get to the balcony. With all of the wrangling of curtains and opening and closing of the balcony door, unless your daughter is a heavy sleeper, it may wake her up.

Just make sure you don't accidentally lock yourself outside!

:D

Thanks for the explanation, very strange position for the bed as once the cabin steward has put the bed down in the evening even going on balcony for a late drink is going to be stupid, Bad design in my opinion, I've looked at other balconies and it seems if I'm not mistaken that if you have a lower 3rd bed(presume sofa) you can only have main bed as a twin not queen...any ideas why?

Any more pics of these rooms would be welcome 😃

Thanks for the explanation, very strange position for the bed as once the cabin steward has put the bed down in the evening even going on balcony for a late drink is going to be stupid, Bad design in my opinion,

Here's a picture showing a similar bunk bed layout on Norwegian Jewel...

14018493774_4c50ecd5e9_z.jpg

(photo credit to SDMike Cruise Critic)

Edited by dmwnc1959

I've looked at other balconies and it seems if I'm not mistaken that if you have a lower 3rd bed(presume sofa) you can only have main bed as a twin not queen...any ideas why?

There are a very few cabins on some of the ships where making the twins into a queen almost completely blocks access to/from the area of the room where the sofa bed exists.

This is true even if you do not want to use the sofa as a bed, as it means access to the balcony door area is almost completely blocked.

There is another thread which has a picture of this in a similar type cabin with the beds as a queen.

Hawaiione030_zps7ebc3aed.jpg?t=1387940488

Edited by caribill