Norovirus lays 60 people in NZ

There's already a thread running on this topic. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1972288

From the article - 'Chicago tourist Chuck Chidichimo said the captain's announcement that a virus was onboard at first "scared the s*** out of us".'

I wonder if that meant he had the virus as well?:rolleyes:

Norovirus is quite common on cruise ships, nursing homes, etc.

It wouldn't happened if bloody people just washed their hands prior to go into dining areas. People who don't wash their hands, are just plain lazy, with no respect for others. Perhaps they don't wash their hands after they have been to their own toilets, etc.

Edited by Widebay

Norovirus is quite common on cruise ships, nursing homes, etc.

It wouldn't happened if bloody people just washed their hands prior to go into dining areas. People who don't wash their hands, are just plain lazy, with no respect for others. Perhaps they don't wash their hands after they have been to their own toilets, etc.

Guaranteed that if they do not wash when away, they definitely do not wash when at home.:D

Just a curious question about it if people "allegedly" do not wash their hands and "allegedly" bring the virus on board then how on earth does that effect and give the virus to clean and tidy passengers who go out of their way to keep clean and healthy.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to blame crew members who have more contact with passengers.

They don't wash their hands then they touch things like door handles, handrails, lift buttons, serving implements in the buffet restaurant, the sides of chairs when pulling them closer to the table, etc. You come along with your impeccably clean hands, touch one of those surfaces that have been infected by those unwashed hands, and voila! You have now picked up norovirus. Then you eat some bread or something and next thing you know is that you're on the sick list.

They don't wash their hands then they touch things like door handles, handrails, lift buttons, serving implements in the buffet restaurant, the sides of chairs when pulling them closer to the table, etc. You come along with your impeccably clean hands, touch one of those surfaces that have been infected by those unwashed hands, and voila! You have now picked up norovirus. Then you eat some bread or something and next thing you know is that you're on the sick list.

Yes! This would apply to anyone (passengers or crew members) that don't wash properly. :eek:

some of the crew are just as bad as the passengers in not washing their hands

It can be anyone on board who is unhygienic that can transmit the virus. The trouble with these things is that people are contagious well before they know it, therefore the only way is to practice good hygiene.:D

We were on Arcadia in March/April 2012, 49 days - Sydney to Southampton, when I got ill and reported to the ship sick bay. According to the Ship's Senior Doctor, throughout the whole 3 month world cruise voyage 300 pax reported the noro, @'The Arcadia Virus.' You could probably double that if you count those selfish people who did not report in for medical attention, that is about a third of the 1800 pax on board, most of whom were British.

I was confined to cabin for 3 days, not nice. Crookest I have been for years, it took me over a week to get 100% better.

Norovirus is a serious issue in todays cruise industry.

I just hope Arcadia is clean when we embark her again on 13 April.

Edited by NSWP

We were on Arcadia in March/April 2012, 49 days - Sydney to Southampton, when I got ill and reported to the ship sick bay. According to the Ship's Senior Doctor, throughout the whole 3 month world cruise voyage 300 pax reported the noro, @'The Arcadia Virus.' You could probably double that if you count those selfish people who did not report in for medical attention, that is about a third of the 1800 pax on board, most of whom were British.

I was confined to cabin for 3 days, not nice. Crookest I have been for years, it took me over a week to get 100% better.

Norovirus is a serious issue in todays cruise industry.

I just hope Arcadia is clean when we embark her again on 13 April.

I hope so too for your and the other passengers sake.:D

Just back from the Solstice 14 day Auckland to Sydney. It was good to see that Celebrity took a serious view towards hygiene as they had staff serving in the buffet for the first 72 hours, and all entrances to restaurants and gangways were personally issuing the hand sanitize throughout the cruise. Did not hear of any health issues.

Just back from the Solstice 14 day Auckland to Sydney. It was good to see that Celebrity took a serious view towards hygiene as they had staff serving in the buffet for the first 72 hours, and all entrances to restaurants and gangways were personally issuing the hand sanitize throughout the cruise. Did not hear of any health issues.

Great news, they ned to persist with these precautions if they want to keep the ship free of noro, once on board it is hard to irradicate.:D

Back when I was a little girl my Grandma always wore little white gloves any time she went out of her house. Maybe she was smarter than we are now???

Washing hands is such a simple thing to do, Just do it.

Agreed,

I would advocate the use of gloves (but perhaps not white) and washing your hands is still just as important.:D

I think it's crucial that hygiene is closely monitored during the first few days of the cruise (perhaps for the whole cruise!) to ensure passengers are aware of what is expected to enable a healthy cruise for everyone.

Unfortunately, some people do not have basic hygiene practices and so careful monitoring is essential to show what is expected. It is also important that the crew who monitor, are forceful enough to insist that passengers use the sanitisers. On some cruise lines, I have seen an occasional passenger refuse, and the crew who are very polite and shy, just let them pass without a challenge. (That's why I was so impressed on my last cruise on the Voyager of the Seas - The crew were very insistent, but did it with good humour, and I don't think anyone got through!!) :D

I think it's crucial that hygiene is closely monitored during the first few days of the cruise (perhaps for the whole cruise!) to ensure passengers are aware of what is expected to enable a healthy cruise for everyone.

Unfortunately, some people do not have basic hygiene practices and so careful monitoring is essential to show what is expected. It is also important that the crew who monitor, are forceful enough to insist that passengers use the sanitisers. On some cruise lines, I have seen an occasional passenger refuse, and the crew who are very polite and shy, just let them pass without a challenge. (That's why I was so impressed on my last cruise on the Voyager of the Seas - The crew were very insistent, but did it with good humour, and I don't think anyone got through!!) :D

I agree, that th estaff should enforce (if needed) the hygiene standards.

BTW, it is an appropriate cc name for this subject.:D