Labadee, Falmouth

beshears

I also loved Labadee. I chose the Western itinerary for this summer in part so we could return there. So relaxing. We had a Hillside cabana on Nellie's beach, and for this summer I booked an over-the-water cabana in Nellie's. There are many fun activities to do such as the amazing zip line and the coaster, wave runners etc. Or you can just relax. Bonus for not having to pay for anything while there - food is included and drinks are included if you have the drink package.

How did you like the Hillside cabana at Nellie's beach? We have one reserved when we go in May...

IndyCapt -

We loved the Hillside cabana! We had the second to last one up. Very short walk. Straddled Nellie's and Barefoot beaches. Great service - drinks delivered to cabana and the attendant set up our mats (comes with cabana ) by our chairs on the beach. Plenty of space in the cabana to relax or even take a nap. We had a beautiful view of the ship too. I think the price ($225 for Hillside or $250 for over water) is worth it and very favorable compared to Disney (Castaway Cay cabanas just went up to $599) or many high end resorts with pools that charge $400 or $500 a day for a cabana.

I loved our stop in Falmouth. We didn't do a tour, but took a bus from the taxi stand out to a lovely little beach near Montego Bay. It didn't cost too much and along the way we stopped at a nice little shop that wasn't just the same-old port shopping. Some of the people on the bus were confused and frustrated that the beach we went to cost a few bucks to get into, but I personally didn't feel it was a big deal. At the beach we were greeted warmly by a small group of locals who were putting out chairs and umbrellas, offering massages and hair braiding, and friendly but not pushy. We relaxed in the shade on a very nice sandy beach. The water was beautiful and seemed to me to be much nicer than the beach at Labadee that we went to (granted, we didn't know where the nicer beaches were on Labadee though and it was too stinkin hot to keep looking for something nicer) There was a little restaurant right there with good food and cold drinks along with a easy, laid-back atmosphere. Our bus driver was very accommodating and made sure we got back to the port in plenty of time. Along the drive he was full of information about anything we asked.

Personally, I liked that a lot better than the port area and Labadee. Both of those felt manufactured to me and too much like just being on the ship. To each their own. :)

Ya, that cloudy green water looks so refreshing, and all the rocks and broken coral frags that you can't see feel great on your feet too lulz :rolleyes:

That's why we wear water shoes. Beach 101.

What's a lulz? Is too lulz worse than just lulz?

That's why we wear water shoes. Beach 101.

What's a lulz? Is too lulz worse than just lulz?

I'm sorry you don't know what lulz means, you should try google if you know what that is....

Wearing beach shoes because of all the sharp rocks and broken coral is an ideallic beach!

Edited by jp30338

"Interesting or funny internet content."

Still doesn't make too much sense.

Anyway this is silly. I think it's a great beach. Rocky bottom doesn't bother me as I wear water shoes and am usually horizontal anyway. It's a beautiful place, love the hills and greenery.

To each his own.

And honestly I've never seen "lulz" on this board before. Must be new word for the young folk.

Just returned off FoS last weekend with stops at Labadee and Falmouth. Love Labadee...columbus cove has beautiful sandy bottom and beach, amazing clear waters, easy access to food, bar, bathrooms, tram stop, and shopping. Labadee is the perfect beach day.

Falmouth was our second favorite stop. No excursions, but did get some wonderful deals on jewelry. Boyfriend has friends in states who deal in jewelry and he was very clear that you cannot get the same quality jewels in the states at the amazing prices we found....yes, I got blinged out. Aside from.the shopping, the people at Falmouth won us over. They were some of the nicest, friendliest, most courteous people we met on the entire trip. You will love these stops

Labadee, and Falmouth are on the itinerary we are thinking of taking this spring..... If you have been to Labadee, or Falmouth, would you tell me (yes, I know this is your opinion) what there is to see/do there?

First time to Jamaica? I think it's almost a must that any first timer do a Dunn's River Falls excursion.

Another great 1/2day is the horseback ride at Chukkunuk Ranch... they get you (and the horse!) right into the ocean bareback.... was awesome feeling that power in the water. I have superb photos of both excursions and it was a wonderful day.

RCL provides a combo tour to do both for the day and I thought it was not a ridiculous price.

Labadee, and Falmouth are on the itinerary we are thinking of taking this spring.

If you have been to Labadee, or Falmouth, would you tell me (yes, I know this is your opinion) what there is to see/do there?

Whoops... forgot Labadee! Like Dunn's River, I think everyone should try the zip-line at least once to say you've "been there done that". Yes pricey, but an awesome thrill.

I've also booked the jet-ski's twice and had an awesome experience both times full throtle following the lead instructor. The views are great and they give you history of the island on your stops.

Not trying to disappoint but Labadee is terrible... rocky beaches, brownish-green water and is not really a "port" but a private part of haiti owned by Royal Carribbean, so everything is geared towards the cruise lines interests.

I am not sure perhaps you where there right after a major storm or something because we totally enjoyed our beach day there and the water was very clear.

Not trying to disappoint but Labadee is terrible... rocky beaches, brownish-green water and is not really a "port" but a private part of haiti owned by Royal Carribbean, so everything is geared towards the cruise lines interests.

your opinion is your own and i respect that, but you are wrong when you say RCCL owns Labadee. Haiti leases Labadee to RCCL and RCCL gives Haiti payment for every cruiser they bring to Labadee. again, Labadee is a LEASED part of Haiti.

Labadee

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Labadie

Labadee

Village

Labadee is located in Haiti

Labadie

The nation of Haiti, showing Labadee

Coordinates: 19°47′11″N 72°14′44″W

Country Haiti

Department Nord

Labadee (also Labadie) is a port located on the northern coast of Haiti. It is a private resort leased to Royal Caribbean International until 2050.[citation needed] Royal Caribbean International has contributed the largest proportion of tourist revenue to Haiti since 1986, employing 300 locals, allowing another 200 to sell their wares on the premises for a fee[citation needed], and paying the Haitian government US$6 per tourist.[1]

Edited by phish tales

Well, I am hoping those of you with the positive feedback are correct. Marie and I are on Independence at the end of the year so it will be Falmouth on New Year's eve and an over the water cabana in Labadee for New Year's day. :D

We had an over the water cabana in Dec 2013 and really enjoyed it. Before we settled in we asked the driver to take us to the shopping area. We arranged to be picked up a half hour later and he was there. The bracelet that you get lets the golf cart drivers know you have a cabana and they will give you a ride. The service was great, the water was nice (caribbean blue/green, not brown). We used the mats quite a bit to float around. I swam a lot too. At times we just laid around in the cabana. If we go back to Labadee we will get a cabana again. Worth the money IMHO. Hope you have a great cruise!!!

As for Falmouth, it was very windy and the Captain tried to get into port a few times. He then decided it was too windy so we went to Montego Bay instead. All the buses and taxis were in the port or arrived shortly after we did. Some tours were cancelled due to time constraints. Our driver told us they were waiting in Falmouth port, then when the captain made the decision they all drove over to Montego Bay. We had hired a private taxi to take us on a tour of the real Montego Bay, not the tourist area. We had an amazing time, but I can't tell you anything about Falmouth.

WHAT!? We LOVED Labadee - probably our favorite place ever! Our whole family loved it (aged 8-41). It's a beautiful location. We rented a Cabana and got spoiled by that. You don't have to have a Cabana, though, to enjoy this beautiful location!

In Falmouth - we did Jamaica for a Day and thoroughly enjoyed it but yes, it was about a 30 minute drive. There is a very nice shopping area right at the Port if you just want to get off and look around a little. I wouldn't wander outside of the port area unless you're on a tour though. :) We loved this stop!

Columbus cove beach-OK, not crystal clear waters, but nice.

Shopping areas (craft market or whatever its called) are OK. They all have the same stuff and they can be pushy to get you to 'look'. Then they hand you stuff to make you want to buy it. Did buy a few items, but had specific things I wanted and only got those items.

Dragon coatser is good. Nice views of ship.

Buffet lunch provided by the ship is served in several areas so you don't have to go far. Drink cards are honored (at least for the sodas they were). They also have free drinks but seemed greatly watered down.

We enjoy the stop and try to do something different each time. No zip line though. Too costly we thought. You'll see the same view if you take the dragon coaster.

For what it's worth. I still place this stop WELL above Nassau. May never book a cruise again that stops there.

Edited by m*u*g*

You will love cabana. The pic I posted of the "brown" water is from our over-the-water cabana.

Check out google maps, search Labadee, scroll up a bit (it puts you on the fishing village just south of resort initially) go to satellite view. You'll see how nice it is.

We had an over the water cabana in Dec 2013 and really enjoyed it. Before we settled in we asked the driver to take us to the shopping area. We arranged to be picked up a half hour later and he was there. The bracelet that you get lets the golf cart drivers know you have a cabana and they will give you a ride. The service was great, the water was nice (caribbean blue/green, not brown). We used the mats quite a bit to float around. I swam a lot too. At times we just laid around in the cabana. If we go back to Labadee we will get a cabana again. Worth the money IMHO. Hope you have a great cruise!!!

Sounds great, so looking forward to a terrific time. :)

We were at Labadee less than a month ago. The water was not brown. Don't believe it when someone says that. While the water isn't as clear as glass, it's very very far from being filthy as is being suggested by some.

It was a lovely blue/green. We enjoyed it very much. We spent a few hours there, had lunch and spent the rest of the day on the ship. Was able to get a great seat by the pool because most people were still at the beach, and in all it was a very relaxing day.