Medical Question

radtech

Is it possible for a cruiser to have dialysis while cruising either on the ship or a port of call. Visiting Naussau and sailing 5 days Sun thru Thurs. Any answers would greatly be appreeciated.

That's really something you're going to have to ask your cruiseline. My best guess is, not on the ship. And the cost of doing it in a foreign hospital - I hope you have insurance that covers you out of country. If they would even do it.

I'm not sure of the cruise lines that my parents took but my Dad took many cruises while on dialysis about 10 years ago - my parents always referred to them as dialysis cruises and had great times despite his illness. Perhaps do a search online or contact the national kidney foundation, they surely can offer you a schedule and assistance. Good luck

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

There is an organization called Dialysis at Sea that helps folks on dialysis. Some go while on peritoneal dialysis, others take their machine. Do a search on this forum, and the Disabled Cruisers forum for dialysis. Many threads. There is one ship that is permanently equipped for hemodialysis, Hapag-Lloyd Europa. But it is wicked expensive, usually wins best luxury cruise ship. EM

It was covered minimally by insurance if any. My Mom had breast cancer and my Dad Polycystic Kidney disease but didn't let their illnesses stop their love of cruising. I'm glad they were fortunate enough to be able to cruise despite their illnesses.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

Yes, it is possible! We are sailing this August on the Independence, and my grandad will be getting his dialysis done onboard. We booked through "dialysis at sea', and then organize everything for you.

One of my best friends did Dialysis at Sea on Celebrity prior to his kidney transplant and it went very well. You need to find out which specific cruises are offering it, though. It is not all cruises or even all ships in a specific cruise line. I know Celebrity does this, as does RCCL and sometimes HAL.

We will echo one of the other posts about a very good organization called "Dialysis at Sea" that works with various cruise lines to offer dialysis patients a way to cruise. This company puts their own skilled dialysis nurse (and the necessary equipment) on board certain cruises and works with the ship's own medical staff to meet all the needs of the patients. The down side is that this kind of service is not cheap. You can read about them at their web site at http://www.dialysisatsea.com/

Hank