last minute deals at the pier.

Gosh, this has been asked a lot this week. :D The answer is no; after 9/11, the way things are done was changed and you can't just show up at the pier and expect a hot deal. The passenger manifest must be turned in (I think it is) 48 hours prior to departure, although some may say it is less time. Anyway, no, sorry you can't do that like we once used to.

There are no such things as a last minute deal anymore. Showing up at the pier with a fist full of cash or a valid credit card are a thing of the past. Due to the United States Homeland Security a passenger manifest must be submitted hours before a scheduled departure. Some cruise companies will allow you to book a cruise up to approximately twenty four hours before a scheduled departure. If you are looking to grab a decent last minute deal sign up with the various cruise companies websites and also check online travel agencies for their last minute deals. Also, on most occasions ships sail at full capacity and are sold out days or weeks before there voyage.

That definately makes sense. I guess that is why RCC is doing the going going gone sales now. I was just wondering. Thanks everyone

What do you mean by a "going, going, gone sale"? Like a last minute auction?

So can you still get as good a deal 24 hours in advance as you used to get at the pier?

Here's my experience...It depends on availability and whatever pricing they decide to charge. Often you can get a better deal a few months in advance with a senior or resident deal or Wow sale. Also, if they decide to offer amazing rates on a cruise at any time, the lower rates will usually sell out so that at the last minute all you find is higher categories. I'm not sure whether these last minute deals at the pier are urban legend anyway (or maybe it was long long ago). Even way before 9-11 we used to ask at checkin for the cost of an upgrade and were always told either that the ship was full (even when it wasn't), or the upgrade price was not a good deal at all.

Could I go to the pier in another country other than the USA on the day of departure? Notice how the reply says"Due to United States Homeland Security". What happens if I go to the pier in Barcelona and want a same day cruise to the Med?

Could I go to the pier in another country other than the USA on the day of departure? Notice how the reply says"Due to United States Homeland Security". What happens if I go to the pier in Barcelona and want a same day cruise to the Med?

Probably not.

I'd call Royal and ask that question.

If you are not a cruise passenger you can´t just Show up at the Pier, as

cruise ports should be operated under the ISPS code, so you shouldn´t even be able to get to the port without the proper cruise documentation. To sell last Minute Cruises at the port, they would Need to set up a sales Point outside.

You might be able to book pretty last Minute with the cruiseline, but you are not able to Show up at the Pier.

In Australia cruise lines won't take bookings within a certain number of days prior to sailing.

If you are not a cruise passenger you can´t just Show up at the Pier, as

cruise ports should be operated under the ISPS code, so you shouldn´t even be able to get to the port without the proper cruise documentation. To sell last Minute Cruises at the port, they would Need to set up a sales Point outside.

You might be able to book pretty last Minute with the cruiseline, but you are not able to Show up at the Pier.

That is likely just in US. It's not like that in most of Europe. Must be a post-911 thing.