Ruby for Alaska or Coral

hollon

I talked to Princess and yesterday they did say that the Ruby will be in Alaska for 2015. Would you take the Ruby or the Coral for Alaska, Ive only been on the Diamond Princess, how do those two ships compare to the Diamond? or rather, which one would you take? Thanks

I am surprised and disappointed. I would avoid the Ruby in Alaska. The space ratio is just awful and one may not feel it in the Caribbean but when on the Crown (Ruby's sister), it was very crowded in Canada NE. There is another deck of passengers compared to the Grand, Golden, Diamond. So imagine the Diamond Princess and add 500 more passengers with really no additional space on the ship for more people and there is no covered pool.

Pick the Coral Princess! The Coral Princess has a great space ratio, never feels crowded, has a covered pool. It has a different design compared to the Diamond. It is more long and narrow. There are just 2 dining rooms in the front of the ship. The Coral and Island ship are some of the highest rated ships for Princess passengers.

There is no decision for me, the Coral Princess is the better ship in a cooler climate and is a better ship IMO.

I am surprised and disappointed. I would avoid the Ruby in Alaska. The space ratio is just awful and one may not feel it in the Caribbean but when on the Crown (Ruby's sister), it was very crowded in Canada NE. There is another deck of passengers compared to the Grand, Golden, Diamond. So imagine the Diamond Princess and add 500 more passengers with really no additional space on the ship for more people and there is no covered pool.

Pick the Coral Princess! The Coral Princess has a great space ratio, never feels crowded, has a covered pool. It has a different design compared to the Diamond. It is more long and narrow. There are just 2 dining rooms in the front of the ship. The Coral and Island ship are some of the highest rated ships for Princess passengers.

There is no decision for me, the Coral Princess is the better ship in a cooler climate and is a better ship IMO.

Absolutely agree - have done Alaska on the Coral twice.

Take the Coral. Have been on it twice and had a great cruise both times. On our last cruise on the Royal, we met a crew member who had just been assigned to the Royal from the Coral and he was telling us how much he really missed being on the Coral.

Thank you for the heads up, I just didn't like them Diamond and hoping the Coral will change my mind. The servers didn't seem to be very friendly at all and the layout was so bizzare compared to rccl (I try not to compare), is the layout better on the Coral. Thanks for you advice, I think I'll choose the Coral, not just waiting for the dates to come up. Is the Minisuite really that much better than the balcony, as far as money goes?

Is the Minisuite really that much better than the balcony, as far as money goes?

We like the extra space and bathtub in the mini suite. If you decide to go with a mini suite on the Coral, I recommend picking a cabin on Dolphin deck in the 7XX series. That is the aft of the ship so it is quiet and there is a little known aft public deck that you will have mostly to yourself. But the absolute best thing about those cabins is that the balcony is fully covered which you'll appreciate if it is rainy.

I loved the Coral on the partial Panama Canal transit. If I go to Alaska this is the only ship( or its sister the Island) I will take for Alaska. The crew is amazing, the ship is immaculate and they have never had a norovirus outbreak.

The outdoor viewing areas are wonderful no matter what cabin you are in-this is especially helpful if you choose an inside cabin. The covered pool area was very nice which would be great in cool weather.

My all time favorite ship on Princess is the Ruby but the Coral is a close second. I'm now Platinum and have sailed Star, Golden, Ruby (twice),Emerald and Coral. I'll be on the Emerald later this month again.

I talked to Princess and yesterday they did say that the Ruby will be in Alaska for 2015. Would you take the Ruby or the Coral for Alaska, Ive only been on the Diamond Princess, how do those two ships compare to the Diamond? or rather, which one would you take? Thanks

Did they say which itinerary the Ruby will do? Will it be doing the northbound/southbound routes, like Coral? Of will they have it doing the Seattle round-trips? If the itinerary is the same, I think I'd have to agree with everyone who says Coral, though I've never been on either.

Thank you for the heads up, I just didn't like them Diamond and hoping the Coral will change my mind. The servers didn't seem to be very friendly at all and the layout was so bizzare compared to rccl (I try not to compare), is the layout better on the Coral. Thanks for you advice, I think I'll choose the Coral, not just waiting for the dates to come up. Is the Minisuite really that much better than the balcony, as far as money goes?

If you didn't like the Diamond, you won't like the layout of the Ruby. They are pretty similar but I give the edge to the Diamond because it has less passengers, a covered pool and some slight differences.

The Coral and Island are more like the Radiance class ship. I agree with capriccio on minisuites and the location they mentioned.

IMO - the Grand class and Super Grand class (Ruby Crown) is an awful layout compared to RCCL, Celebrity and HAL ships. Princess people get used to it and it is not an issue for them. Many haven't sailed other lines to compare.

As far as staff being unfriendly - this can happen on any line. Since they rotate frequently, it probably is not an issue now as they are all on different ships.

Did they say which itinerary the Ruby will do? Will it be doing the northbound/southbound routes, like Coral? Of will they have it doing the Seattle round-trips? If the itinerary is the same, I think I'd have to agree with everyone who says Coral, though I've never been on either.

No, they didn't say yet, they just said it will go there. Thanks for everyone advice. I think I'll pick the coral and for the cabin types. Only one more question. I don't know what the 7XX means. But I'll ask for Dolphin deck - about how much are those suites, or how much should I not pay. I'm so sorry for all the questions. Anyone know which deck is good?

I think I'll pick the coral and for the cabin types. Only one more question. I don't know what the 7XX means. But I'll ask for Dolphin deck - about how much are those suites, or how much should I not pay. I'm so sorry for all the questions. Anyone know which deck is good?

Pick a cabin that starts in the 700 number which is towards the back of the ship. There is an exit door in the back (also the front) that provides great viewing.

We also plan Alaska for 2015.

What's the problem with RUBY?

We have been on CROWN and EMERALD PRINCESS in 2009 and 2013 (both Northern Europe) and we never had the feel that the ships are too crowded.

So for me it would be a difficult choice (because we loved CROWN/EMERLALD), but according to the very good feedback about CORAL by many other people, I also would choose CORAL - she has the perfect size for us too.

That's the reason why we also love Celebrity's Millennium-Class. :)

BTW: Thank you for the very interesting information that RUBY will be in Alaska in 2015. Could you name a source? :)

Edited by celebrity_fan

She called Princess.

Rumor is Island Princess will be doing the Venice routes.

ISLAND is listed in Funchal 2 Times and in Rome more often for 2015.

Would be logical if ISLAND offered the Venice routes.

I think RUBY will do the Voyage of the Glaciers between Vancouver and Whittier together with CORAL and CROWN.

We just finished a cruise through the Panama Canal. It was our first cruise in over fifteen years. We had been on several cruises (several different lines) but got so tired of be herded like cattle, waiting for everything, and always being in a crowd we stopped cruising. We only booked this cruise because the Panama Canal was one of the last things on our bucket list. We sailed on the Island Princess and had one of the best vacations we have ever taken. The ship was beautiful, clean, and most of all NOT crowded. You could always find a lounge chair around one of the pools or a seat in one of the bars to enjoy a quite drink. We choose Anytime dining and never waited to be seated. It was great we got an upgrade to a mini-suite, the room was very comfortable; however, we visited several balcony rooms (our original booking) that were just as nice.

I guess the best thing to say is my wife and I liked the Island so much, we're taking the Coral to Alaska this summer! The Island and Coral are great ships!

We have sailed on the Sapphire, Star, Sea, and Coral Princess...and by far, my favorite ship is the Coral, hands down...for all the reasons listed in previous posts. The addition of the International Cafe was the icing on the cake!

We took a 14-day full transit of the Panama Canal last spring on the Coral and enjoyed it so much we booked a return trip to Alaska on the Coral this year. I love the covered pool and the public spaces on the ship, plenty of seating and you never feel crowded. We prefer Anytime Dining, and never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be seated. In fact, on one formal night when there was a slight wait for Anytime Dining, the maitre d' whisked us upstairs to the traditional dining room and seated us.

We usually book a balcony, but this time we are trying an outside cabin, since we have traveled to Alaska before. Looking forward to being on the Coral again!