Gown or Cocktail Dress on Constellation?

Angelou

Do the women usually wear evening gowns or cocktail dresses on the Constellation for Formal Night? **First-time Cruiser**

I was surprised to see NO gowns on the Reflection Christmas cruise...I thought most would be dressed to nines for the holiday cruise....I can't een recall seeing one tux....although, I'm sure there may have been a few...I never saw one.

I will also add...in Blu Christmas Eve and Christmas day...nothing special on the tables in the restaurants. No small gift left in the stateroom///even a candy cane would have been a nice touch....no chocolates on the pillow at night...unless requested....but as everyone knows...this was the least of the problems of the Christmas cruise.

There was Santa in the foyer Christmas Eve for the children who waited in the long line to receive a gift...and some half a$$ed decorated gingerbread houses. Pretty much just white frosting...no candy decoration...really, just white frosting blobs. I'll post a photo soon of the gingerbread houses...you can decided.

Edited by 20pluscruises

We cruise typically twice per year TA's and Caribbean lately although we did South America two yrs ago. On all those X cruises long dresses and gowns have not been the norm as I have seen very few (and we are in the bars pre-dinner all evenings). Last TA - literally I saw two ladies in long dress attire. That said a fair number of Tux's on the gentlemen but the majority in dark suits.

My suggestion - if you want to dress in long dress/gown go for it. Otherwise you will feel very comfortable in cocktail attire and take it up a notch with some sparkly accessories all of which will take up less room in your luggage :)

Wow! I really thought more people would be wearing gowns. I love to dress up and don't typically get to dress any fancier than a cocktail dress. I think I'll still go with the long dress/gown even if it's not the norm anymore. Thank you to everyone who replied. ;)

Just got off the Silhouette. I saw maybe 1 or 2 gowns and only a handful of tuxedos. 2nd formal night yielded less formal wear than the first. That being said, most men did wear jackets. I overhead one woman say that airline bag weight restrictions caused her to bring a cocktail dress and fancy pantsuit rather than a bulky gown.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wow! I really thought more people would be wearing gowns. I love to dress up and don't typically get to dress any fancier than a cocktail dress. I think I'll still go with the long dress/gown even if it's not the norm anymore. Thank you to everyone who replied. ;)

We are on the Connie on B2B Feb 8. If you are on that cruise, my wife will also be in a long gown.

We are on the Connie on B2B Feb 8. If you are on that cruise, my wife will also be in a long gown.

I'll actually be on the Connie March 17th. Enjoy your cruise! I'm glad to hear she'll be dressed in a gown.

I'll actually be on the Connie March 17th. Enjoy your cruise! I'm glad to hear she'll be dressed in a gown.

Hi Angelou, kampinguru's wife here. I love to get dressed up. It's one of my favourite parts of cruising. I run a home daycare, so don't get a chance to get dressed up too often. I think it makes dinner time special when people take a few minutes to think about what they're going to wear & try to look nice. I hope you enjoy your cruise too!

You'll also see women in silky pants with glittery tops etc. on formal nights.
Watch out for the glitter!

Some of that stuff sheds. A number of times we have seen where a woman with glitter will get up from a seat in a lounge or in the theater and the next people who sat down there ended up with unwanted glitter all over their clothing.

But it seems to be true that the men are the ones who get all the flack about how they dress for formal night.

A woman can toss a fancy scarf or shawl over just about any outfit and pass if off as formal and nobody will say a word. :D

• 1 year later...

We've been on 13 cruises so far, and I've never worn a gown, or even an evening dress. Some women do and it's certainly attractive, but I don't have the luggage space for it. Thinking back - I don't remember seeing a gown in years for formal night.

I usually wear a dressy (with non-shedding glitter) top and black skirt or pants with heels. I've never felt out-of-place. Jewelry can really dress up a simple dress or pant suit. And it takes up little space in the suitcase.

DH usually wears a dark suit with button down shirt and most of the time a tie, but not always.

I've actually seen jeans on formal night with a suit coat. Wear something you feel pretty in, something you won't wear to church cuz it's a bit too glitzy.

We were on the Eclipse TA from Southampton November 9, 2014, and many women wore long gowns on formal nights. I wore a long gown one of the formal nights, and cocktail dresses the other two. My husband wore his tux all three formal nights with different shirts, ties, cummerbunds & vests. (And I wore my very high heels even though high seas made it challenging! LOL!)

Angelou, check out the Cruise Fashions & Beauty board here under Community>Cruise Discussion Topics. There are pages and pages of discussion, and better yet, PHOTOS of what people are buying, wearing, considering, or have already worn on board. It's a great way to see what's currently being done.

If you want to wear a gown or a cocktail dress, GO FOR IT. You won't be out of place, by any means.

I was surprised to see NO gowns on the Reflection Christmas cruise...I thought most would be dressed to nines for the holiday cruise....I can't een recall seeing one tux....although, I'm sure there may have been a few...I never saw one.

On my Summit cruise, I don't remember seeing many true formal gowns (maybe a handful, if that). Most were in cocktail dresses (especially some of the younger women in some awesome dresses) or everyday dresses or going to church dresses or casual attire. I wore gowns on my Celebrity cruise before this one and felt overdressed, so I dressed a little down for this cruise (still in the dress code) and still felt overdressed, so will dress down for my next Celebrity cruise. Note, that it seems every cruise and/or ship is different. Edited by NLH Arizona