Dress standards

bongaree

Could anyone please advise if a jacket is required every night for dinner in the Britannia restaurant or is this just for formal nights. Also what is the dress standard for lunch and breakfast

Sorry should say on Queen Mary 2.

Thanks

Could anyone please advise if a jacket is required every night for dinner in the Britannia restaurant or is this just for formal nights. Also what is the dress standard for lunch and breakfast

Thanks

A jacket is required on all nights, but, on informal nights, a tie is not. Cunard's FAQ page (https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code) puts it this way:

"What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

Thanks

Jacket is required, but not really enforced in the buffet area(except during "tastings")We've worn shorts for breakfast & lunch(even in the Grills)Now, I am talking nice(not cargo type)shorts with either a nice polo(preferably a Cunard shirt)or a collared shirt(short or long sleeve)At night we always followed the dresscodes.Even on informal nights we wear a tie. Years back..2005 and earlier there was some casual nights where you wore a collared shirt & nice slacks(no jacket or tie required). I still have the brochuers from that time. So, surprisingly to some, there was a more "casual" time in Cunard's not too distant past.

In 2011 we cruised on QE and there were FORMAL, INFORMAL and an additional dress code of "SEMI-FORMAL". So I was quite surprised when receiving the information booklet after booking a cruise on QM2, showing just 2 dress codes. Have they all now just Formal and Informal?

In 2011 we cruised on QE and there were FORMAL, INFORMAL and an additional dress code of "SEMI-FORMAL". So I was quite surprised when receiving the information booklet after booking a cruise on QM2, showing just 2 dress codes. Have they all now just Formal and Informal?

It used to be: Formal, Semi-formal and Elegant casual, there was never an Informal.

There's only 2 now, as you correctly say. Formal is the same as before and Informal has replaced Elegant Causal, Semi-formal being dropped.

However, the only different between the old Semi-formal and Elegant casual was (at least for a man), a tie (you still need a jacket). So really, little has actually changed in terms of the dress requirements, it's just that they changed the terms.

There's only 2 now, as you correctly say. Formal is the same as before and Informal has replaced Elegant Causal, Semi-formal being dropped.

But there is a third - an evening designated "Formal or Informal". Really confusing.

Many men still wear a tie on informal nights, particularly (to my observation) in the lounges before dinner. Perhaps the shift to two dress codes has elevated the level of dress somewhat.

But there is a third - an evening designated "Formal or Informal". Really confusing.
This hasn't been seen frequently enough to be considered a standard. It's an aberration. Edited by Underwatr

Last night we had a "Casual" night where the gentlemen did not have to wear a jacket. We had been in Aruba yesterday and it was very warm so this may only happen in such areas. It was very strange walking around the ship seeing everyone so casually dressed in the evening.

Last night we had a "Casual" night where the gentlemen did not have to wear a jacket. We had been in Aruba yesterday and it was very warm so this may only happen in such areas. It was very strange walking around the ship seeing everyone so casually dressed in the evening.

Hi Scrapnana. "Very warm" sounds great to me as I watch the snow falling here in NY yet again!:eek:

Please, what is the description provided for "Casual" night as pertains to women?

Thanks for your posts. Enjoy! Regards, -S.

I had kind of wondered if it had more to do with the Caribbean Deck Party around the pool than the actual heat! For awhile I was flummoxed about what to wear myself :D

Scrapnana, who is the ED onboard at present? I'm assuming dress code deviations are decided by the ED...[/quote

Does the entertainment director really have that authority? I mean, the dress code on Cunard ships has traditionally been taken very seriously...so my guess is that Corporate Headquarters has the main say, but final approval rests with the Captain of the ship :confused:

Hi Scrapnana. "Very warm" sounds great to me as I watch the snow falling here in NY yet again!:eek:

Please, what is the description provided for "Casual" night as pertains to women?

Thanks for your posts. Enjoy! Regards, -S.

We had a casual night and the ladies wore what they would for informal, no difference really.