Royal Princess Baltic concerns

freodr

I have been a lurker on the boards for ages, love Princess and have been on many cruises, but now I have a concern about my upcoming cruise.

We have booked the Royal Princess Baltic cruise from Copenhagen on June 14th 2014

I ordered the highly recommended Baltic Treasures DVD (which is awesome by the way) and began my research, all well so far, then I began looking a little closer at the cruise itself and now am getting worried. I thought that all cruises had one embarkation and disembarkation day (apart from World Cruise) but I see that on this cruise not only are passengers getting on and off in Copenhagen but, Warnemunde and St Petersburg as well. OK so this won’t impact me much, but surely the cabin stewards are going to be overworked on those days trying to clean the changeover cabins and cope with all their normal duties as well.

Then I see that the ship is going to Nynashamn and not Stockholm itself and this means two things of concern, firstly we miss what I believe is a beautiful sail through the Stockholm archipelago and secondly that we will have to use the lifeboats to get ashore. 3600 passengers trying to get off the ship as fast as they can to get to Stockholm doesn’t thrill me, then the hour train ride to the city, my doubts are growing here.

Next thing is that we have to take a ships shuttle in Aarhus to get to within 15 mins walking of the city, again 3600 people trying to get off the ship as fast as they can. Apparently the ship is in a container dock and no-one is allowed to walk in the area.

We have already decided that the 6hour roundtrip to get to Berlin is not worth it, and have extended the stay in Europe after the cruise to take in that City as well as a few others. The new dock in Copenhagen isn’t the easiest to reach either, sporadic bus service or Taxi, the train station is now too far away to walk to/from.

So now in a quandary, should I change cruise line and have a more relaxing cruise, no tendering, shuttling etc. or go with my favourite line?

Hope this isn’t too negative, but I would like some reassurance.

I agree that going to Nynashamn rather than sailing right into Stockholm is a disappointment. But I can't see any reason why passengers would be leaving and joining the ship at Warnemunde and St Petersburg, if I'm reading your post correctly. I've never known Princess to do this before and I'm not sure what would be the reason. Can you quote what you've read or post a link to it, please?

The other embarkation ports won't impact on you. In fact, at any busy embarkation port (Copenhagen perhaps) it's great to just breeze past those lined up in the terminal waiting to register.

Stewards usually employ other crew members to help on change-over day anyway, if there's a lot embarking at those ports they'll do the same there.

Nynshamn will be a big disappointment without a doubt. No sail-in through the archipelago & a long transfer to Stockholm. Is your time in port longer to compensate?

But IMHO this is the only major downer amongst your concerns.

Can't help with Aarhus, but have been in the same situation at many ports. The expense (is there a charge?) irks me, but I've never found any significant delay boarding shuttles - even in third-world ports.

The long hike to Berlin of course is the same with any ship, and even with a late departure one day isn't enough. Worthwhile for those who may never get another opportunity, but given the opportunity a pre or post-cruise visit is absolutely the way to do it.

On foot, Copenhagen Freeport is only 10-15 mins further than for those berthed along Langelinie . Trains, local buses, taxis. And with 3000 potential customers I suspect the ho-hos will swing by too.

Not ideal, but not a deal-breaker either.

JB :)

I agree that going to Nynashamn rather than sailing right into Stockholm is a disappointment. But I can't see any reason why passengers would be leaving and joining the ship at Warnemunde and St Petersburg, if I'm reading your post correctly. I've never known Princess to do this before and I'm not sure what would be the reason. Can you quote what you've read or post a link to it, please?

If you look at the June cruises for the baltic you see that there are three different dates for embarkation.

John Bull, I know stewards usually have help on turnaround days, but if it is in the middle of a cruise these people will be attending to their normal jobs. The new port is much farther away from Langeline and is apparently sectioned off so the ho ho busses probably won't be allowed to come too close.

I know none of this seems like a deal breaker but considering all of these things together, it might be less of a hassle to go with some other line and less passengers

According to the Port of Rostock official schedule (http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2014-port-calls.html) 4 ships, in addition to the Aida ships which are based there, will use Warnemünde as an embarkation/disembarkation port in 2014. They are Royal Princess, Norwegian Star, MSC Poesia and Costa Fortuna.

Anni

We originally looked at the Royal because I wanted to try one of those large mini-suites on the Lido deck, but when I realized that the ship did not dock in Stockholm, we changed to another cruise line. Sailing through the archipeligo is important to me.

I can't comment on your other concerns, but I do know that the new pier C330 is a significant distance from existing transportation hubs. New service has not been announced yet as the pier is still under construction and will not open until May 2014. I'm sure there will be some kind of public acess.

As for Copenhagen hotels, be aware that there is an important song contest May 1-10, and hotel prices are double during that period.

We love Princess too--but decided the Royal isn't for us. We are on the Eurodam for a Baltic cruise. In theory the Royal's itinerary is better (includes Oslo), but the ship and the distance from Stockholm pushed us to HAL. This will be my husband's first HAL cruise and my first since 1997.

We were on the Emerald Princess last June and had passengers join us from Berlin in Warnemunde--it was no big deal. Highly recommend Friends of Dave tour out of Warnemunde.

The big deal on your cruise is not sailing through the Stockholm archipelago. You have lots more time in Stockholm than we did which is a plus. Make sure you go to the Vasa museum -- amazing!

Aarhus is a very interesting place --the art museum is fascinating.

I was on the Emerald Princess last year and the ship docked at the ports you mentioned.

As others have said, the additional embarkation ports are not a big deal. I wouldn't include this in your consideration set.

Aarhus: The shuttle was easy with no wait. It took about 10 minutes. Coming back the only wait was for the bus to fill, which was maybe 10 minutes. There was a Tourist Information office office at the drop off point with free wireless and local vendors with some interesting things. From there it was about a 10-15 minute walk into town. While I would have preferred to dock in town, this wasn't a big deal overall.

Nynashamn: Our ship unexpectedly docked at Nynashamn instead of Stadsgarden due to weather. Since I didn't sail the archipelago I can't comment on that. Your time in port is longer so you'd have just as much time in Stockholm than if you docked in the city. The train station is a bit of a walk from where the tenders dock though.

Warnemunde: Is your ship scheduled to dock in Warnemunde or the commercial port of Rostock? We docked in Rostock and it would have been more pleasant to dock in Warnemunde. We just reversed our plans - started in Rostock and ventured to Warnemunde, but it would have been nice to end our day with a stroll back to the ship rather than take a train back to Rostock, walk to the shuttle and then the shuttle itself.

For me, none of these is individually a show stopper, but the combination of all 3 would make me rethink which cruise to take.

We almost didn't get to St. Petersburg due to rough seas. It's just a reminder that a ship's schedule is always subject to change.

hmmm, I am on this same itinerary in May. I too am disappointed about Nynashamn instead of Stockholm and bummed about having to use the far away port in CPH. those are my only issues. from what I've heard the ship is beautiful and the food excellent. I also love the itinerary! Berlin will be the same problem with every ship so although it's annoying it is what it is.so it's all give and take and nothing is going to be perfect. it's going to be AWESOME, especially if you make it that way. :)

We are on the July 26th sailing of the Emerald Princess and I think we have a much better itinerary: Oslo, Tallinn, St Pete, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Brussels. We really like sailing with Princess. Don't worry about the tender ports, it is usually very quick.:)

OP, do you know why your ship is not docking in Stockholm? I hope it works out for you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

She is too long, I'm afraid. Today it's just possible for ship under 320 meter to go through some places in the archipelago, in to Stockholm. When the biggest ship that have been in Stockholm jet (Navigator of the Seas), came so made our authorities deatailed studies on how the enviroment was affected.

I understand that you thinks that it's a shame that the ship will need to anchor outside Nynäshamn. But as the ships get bigger all ports can't handle them.

Feodr, I hope you still will have a nice stay in Stockholm! Welcome!

Edited by Kim Viktor

There are some misunderstandings about the new cruise terminal in Copenhagen.

Hobo busses will be allowed, I have not heard otherwise.

Bus 26 will run 2 times every hour from Monday to Fridays.

The Port Authority (CM Port) will run a bus shuttle, this I have been promised on Email.

btw there is no hotels that have doubled their hotel prices during the Eurovision Song Contest, but some hotels has been sold out like the 800 room Bella Sky Hotel.

Edited by Danish viking

freodr

First of all welcome to Cruise Critic and the Baltics in particular.

To address your concerns, if it is not too late to cancel this cruise and rebook with another line, I would say do it.

reason why, you seem to have many concerns and just do not seem happy with the situation you are in. While, yes, many of us can try and ease your mind and worries, it still will not help that much if you are fixated on these things. It just may be hard to book something for June now, but I would look into it. It is your vacation and you shouldn't have to have so many concerns before you even leave.

Just to address several of your concerns. Whether or not passengers embark or disembark at any of those ports, why should it even bother you?> You will be off the ship, and since this may be their usual procedure, they must know what they are doing. It should not worry you at all.

I do agree with everyone else and say that not docking in Stockholm is a major disappointment. WE felt Stockholm was our nicest port and wish we had more time to spend there. Docking in Nynäshamn wastes valuable time that could be put to better use and of course you miss the archipelago.

If it is not too late, look into another cruise line. Just because you are a Princess supporter does not mean you cannot try another line. Who knows you may like them better. Change is always exciting.

Cheers

Len

We're booked on the Oceania Marina leaving the same day - June 14. It's only a seven day, does not do Aarhus or Oslo, but it is not a roundtrip back to Copenhagen. Instead it ends in Stockholm, allowing a couple days after the cruise to explore a very important city on land, along with days pre-cruise to explore Copenhagen.

I looked at the Royal's itinerary and passed because it there wasn't enough time in Stockholm and it ported in the wrong port. I also thought Norway could be covered better on a dedicated cruise there (might miss Oslo on a fjord cruise, but will have the opportunity to see a lot more of that country.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for your input. After a lot more research and thought we have rebooked on the Emerald Princess July 26th. We don't need hassle on a cruise vacation, also fewer people on the Emerald.

Thanks again

Thanks to all of you for your input. After a lot more research and thought we have rebooked on the Emerald Princess July 26th. We don't need hassle on a cruise vacation, also fewer people on the Emerald.

Thanks again

Good for you freodr. I'm sure you will have a grand time. Need any other help, please just ask away.

Cheers

Len

We are booked on the Royal Princess Baltic cruise and I'm not going to let one diversion in Nynashamn take away from it. The prices we got for the cruise were outstanding and SPB Tours is picking us up at the tender to do a tour and Princess gives much more time at that port for Nynashamn than they do for docking in Stockholm. I suppose if the sail in is a deal breaker for someone, then they should pick another line. As to why Princess is going to Nynashamn, I wonder if it relates to the size of the Royal. We are going into Berlin with SPB Tours. I doubt we would ever get to Germany again and it's our one opportunity. We'll suck up the long bus ride.

We are booked on the Royal Princess Baltic cruise and I'm not going to let one diversion in Nynashamn take away from it. The prices we got for the cruise were outstanding and SPB Tours is picking us up at the tender to do a tour and Princess gives much more time at that port for Nynashamn than they do for docking in Stockholm. I suppose if the sail in is a deal breaker for someone, then they should pick another line. As to why Princess is going to Nynashamn, I wonder if it relates to the size of the Royal. We are going into Berlin with SPB Tours. I doubt we would ever get to Germany again and it's our one opportunity. We'll suck up the long bus ride.

You could even pick the same line as the Emerald and the Ocean do dock in Stockholm proper.

The Swedish authorities require all vessels exceeding 200 meters in length to present data regarding the ship'd rudders, propellers, bow thrusters, and maneuverability for assessment before the first call at Stockholm. Ships exceeding 245 meters in length have to complete a simulation test or a full scale test for assessment. It could well be that as a result of its size the Royal is not maneuverable enough to be allowed into the Stockholm fairway. Or that it would be allowed in only on very low winds and good visibility. The other possibility is that the decision to go to Nynäshamn was simply a business decision made by Princess.

You could even pick the same line as the Emerald and the Ocean do dock in Stockholm proper.

The Swedish authorities require all vessels exceeding 200 meters in length to present data regarding the ship'd rudders, propellers, bow thrusters, and maneuverability for assessment before the first call at Stockholm. Ships exceeding 245 meters in length have to complete a simulation test or a full scale test for assessment. It could well be that as a result of its size the Royal is not maneuverable enough to be allowed into the Stockholm fairway. Or that it would be allowed in only on very low winds and good visibility. The other possibility is that the decision to go to Nynäshamn was simply a business decision made by Princess.

Very good info. :)

Also as Kim Victor wrote above, any ship longer then 320m will not be able to get in to Stockholm due to that some passages are too narrow.

Basically this means that any ship that is longer then the Solstice class ships (Celibrity Eclipse/ 317m length) is a no-go.

Edited by Desdichado62

It's interesting that they have not put excursions up for Nynashamn/Stockholm yet (every other port is up other than Aarhus). I am wondering if they plan to do tests after the transatlantic and still may give Stockholm a shot. We'll find out soon enough.

It's interesting that they have not put excursions up for Nynashamn/Stockholm yet (every other port is up other than Aarhus).

I am wondering if they plan to do tests after the transatlantic and still may give Stockholm a shot.

We'll find out soon enough.

That to me would seem to make a lot of sense.

Let's hope Princess is not nonsensical, however I will not be holding my breath! :eek:

:cool:

Does anyone have any experience with Gothenburg. We dock at Skandiahamnen which is a ways from the city centre. If one doesn`t want to take a cruise excursion but just go into Gothenburg on their own are there shuttle buses that meet the ship? Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with Gothenburg. We dock at Skandiahamnen which is a ways from the city centre. If one doesn`t want to take a cruise excursion but just go into Gothenburg on their own are there shuttle buses that meet the ship? Thanks

I don't have any knowledge of ship buses however you can get from the ship to down town with public transport:

Your ship docks at the left red spot at this map where it says Kryssningsterminal Arendal.

http://goteborgshamn.se/Om-hamnen/Navigera-i-hamnen/

Use http://reseplanerare.vasttrafik.se to plan your journey.

From should be Arendals Allé and to should be Brunnsparken,

http://reseplanerare.vasttrafik.se/bin/query.exe/sn?SGID=9021014001133000&Z=Brunnsparken%20G%C3%B6teborg&date=2014-05-02&time=08:00&timesel=depart&start=1&L=vs_vasttrafik

The same on google maps (different date though):

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Arendals+all%C3%A9,+402+75+G%C3%B6teborg,+Sverige&daddr=Brunnsparken,+S%C3%B6dra+Hamngatan,+G%C3%B6teborg,+Sverige&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=57.707632,11.898022&spn=0.084463,0.264187&sll=57.702588,11.898022&sspn=0.084475,0.264187&geocode=FVFncAMd_G-0ACnxAHmcRoxPRjG53wgGynOqTQ%3BFdaJcAMdxai2ACGuicb0CQkxKSkJMlf0ZPNPRjGuicb0CQkxKQ&oq=Brunnspar&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=14%2F04%2F07&time=8:28am&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&z=13&start=0