Unlimited Internet

Shermcruiser

My first reaction was I hope so. But the more I think about it, I hope not. At that price, a lot more people will sign up. And they will use it whenever they want. Which means traffic will be high and speeds will be slow. So, in the end, we will pay more for slower internet.

Remember the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?"

Maybe Celebrity will follow suit, but $149 for unlimited is not compatible with their existing price structure:

38 min for $25

90 min for $50

208 min for $100

555 min for $200

1666 min for $400

You would also think that the unlimited price ("all you can tweet"?) would vary with the length of the cruise.

Edited by mahdnc

Royal now has unlimited internet for $149 for the cruise. Will Celebrity follow suit?

That price is only on the Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Prices for the rest of the fleet are:

Pay As You Go – $0.65 per minute

$35 for 60 Minutes

$55 for 100 Minutes

$75 for 150 Minutes

$100 for 250 Minutes

$150 for 500 Minutes

The prices I quoted in Post #4 was from our Eclipse cruise (we got off last week). These should be the same prices for Equinox. If you buy the internet package on the first day, you will get 20-25% more minutes. If you have a Captain's Club coupon, you can use that in addition.

Edited by mahdnc

Did they actually manage to upgrade the systems on Oasis and Allure to be able to handle that kind of load? If so, that proves it can be done!

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has recently been on either ship and find out what service was like.

Limited internet access is my least favorite part of cruising.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Oh my goodness. just think of it...the horrors of being on a cruise without internet! When we started cruising there was no internet, no cell phones, very little live TV. If you wanted to communicate with the world you could spend about $7-$10 a min to make a ship-to-shore phone call. When ships got to ports, those that could not live without being "connected" would rush ashore to telephone booths.

Now here is the thing about those days. It was wonderful! You went on a trip and tuned-out the world. If anyone had to contact you for an emergency (not that there is much you can do when at sea) they always had the ability to call the ship or send an expensive cable. Since there was no internet and no phones people actually were forced to talk to each other rather then text. Imagine that. Real people really talking to each other. What a shocker :)

Hank

The main purpose of a cruise vacation is to get away IMHO. I would much rather go explore the ocean, ship and ports of call than to have unlimited internet access. I have unlimited internet access at home. I certainly do not need to pay for it while on holiday!!:p

I take my own portable unlimited internet dongle.

As someone who clocks up about 5000 hours on-line a year. I have a 120MB home fibre solution and have several devices connected at once. I check my mail numerous times a day. However when I take my holiday I do not look at my e-mail or worry about what is going on back home. if you are in any doubt, let me tell you, no. You don't need internet. I once made the mistake of reading my e-mails and one of them played on my mind for the remainder of the cruise.

Text or phone is acceptable but you are on holiday. Do yourself a favour and let the world forget you for a couple of weeks. If it that urgent someone will contact celebrity to get ahold of you.

Its time people realised that they should enjoy life. Stop rushing about. Unwind

Well maybe for some being out of contact with home is relaxing but not for all. My husband would not be able to relax at all if he didn't have some way of reaching out to our kids. Yeah, I know that once upon a time there were no phones and internet on cruises but we didn't sail back then and wouldn't if those were the conditions today. An unlimited internet package would be nice but I think a cruise cellular at sea would probably be cheaper and more useful for us.

Edited by texasgirl73

Oh my goodness. just think of it...the horrors of being on a cruise without internet! When we started cruising there was no internet, no cell phones, very little live TV. If you wanted to communicate with the world you could spend about $7-$10 a min to make a ship-to-shore phone call. When ships got to ports, those that could not live without being "connected" would rush ashore to telephone booths.

Now here is the thing about those days. It was wonderful! You went on a trip and tuned-out the world. If anyone had to contact you for an emergency (not that there is much you can do when at sea) they always had the ability to call the ship or send an expensive cable. Since there was no internet and no phones people actually were forced to talk to each other rather then text. Imagine that. Real people really talking to each other. What a shocker :)

Hank

Some people have a business and work for a living. Because of modern technology they are able to travel and still stay connected to run things. We live in the 21st Century. :rolleyes:

Royal now has unlimited internet for $149 for the cruise. Will Celebrity follow suit?

I was able to get unlimited internet on Royal for one cruise and I think it was $149. I thought I prepaid for it, but maybe not. But that was years ago (I'm thinking 2006) They had stopped the unlimited package. When did anyone last get a unlimited internet package from RCL? Now that we each get 200 free mins on Celebrity per person. I'm not going to need any packages on Celebrity.Richard

Hank

If I "tuned-out the world" while on vacation, I might return to find that I no longer have the job that bankrolls all of my lovely vacations. I look forward to retirement, when I can officially turn it off while on holiday, but that's 30 years away.

But I can assure you, I don't spend my entire day with a laptop/tablet/cell phone in my hand. Shockingly, I actually talk to the occasional "real" person while on vacation. :rolleyes:

Some people have a business and work for a living. Because of modern technology they are able to travel and still stay connected to run things. We live in the 21st Century. :rolleyes:

Well said. Let me add that some of us are retired and simply like keeping in touch with the family when we are away. We like to hear about how the grandkids are doing and they all like to hear about the places we visit. It's certainly a great deal better than the post cards that arrived two weeks after my parents were back in town!

• 2 weeks later...

Allure and Oasis were both designed for the internet crowd with a higher bandwidth.

Would be a disaster for Celebrity to offer unlimited as the Celebrity ships even after being upgraded have a much smaller bandwidth, so no doubt it would be slower than molasses if they offered it unlimited and lots of people signed up for it

Realistically though, whats the point of cruising if you're spending all your time on the internet/phone, it kind of defeats the purpose:D

a half an hour a day (or maybe an hour if you upload a lot of pictures to family/friends like I do) should be more than anyone needs to stay in contact, otherwise not much of a holiday

Edited by johhnnyt

Allure and Oasis were both designed for the internet crowd with a higher bandwidth.

Would be a disaster for Celebrity to offer unlimited as the Celebrity ships even after being upgraded have a much smaller bandwidth, so no doubt it would be slower than molasses if they offered it unlimited and lots of people signed up for it

Realistically though, whats the point of cruising if you're spending all your time on the internet/phone, it kind of defeats the purpose:D

1/2 hour a day (maybe an hour if you upload a lot of pictures for family/friends) should be more than anyone needs

during our 14 nt Eclipse New Year's cruise, our family of 4 easily burned thru a ton of minutes including our 21 yr old daughter skyping with her boyfriend for 30-60 minutes a day!