Tips for excursions

Kidless cruiser

What you tip is obviously up to you. I would base it on the length of the tour, how happy you were with it and how well the guide did their job. On a 4 hour tour costing $59 each I think about $3 to $5 each is average. If your guide really did a great job, went above and beyond then more would be proper. Maybe $8 to $10. On a longer more expensive tour you might want to leave more.

Some cultures don't tip at all. Some people are big tippers. I am sure the tour operators have seen it all.

Does that help, or make it more confusing? :confused:

You tip what you feel the experience was worth....If an excursion is basically transportation, we don't usually tip, since we got exactly what we paid for. If the tour or activity has a guide that is informative and engaging, then we generally tip about $5-20...depending on what we did, length, etc...

It's totally up to you. There are no 'rules'!

Just like a taxi or a restaurant for me. Between 10 and 20 percent of the bill, depending on the level of service and personal attention.

Or if all I have is a $20 bill, a $5 and a $10... the $10 if they really gave me, personally, a terrific experience. If they didn't do anything special for me, they get the $5. They won't get the $20 for a tip until I'm Johhny Depp.

• 1 month later...
For a half day tour (usually around 4 hours) we tip $5 - $10 per person -- it all depends on how good the guide is. Most of the time it is $5.

Longer excursions -- larger tip.

Fair answer but there might be some folks wondering if that's per person.

It depends where your trips occur, some countries the tour person makes very little money and others they make more per hour than an equal in the USA is paid. If it's a half day tour I usually tip $2-3 if it's all day $5. If it was in Australia I wouldn't tip as their workers are well paid. Tipping nowadays is given to supplement somebody's salary not for extra ordinary service.

Hello i'm new here I've never been on cruise and I wonder if I can start with black see as it's the only sea bounding Georgia. anyone know about black sea cruises? generally do they exist ? thank you

Yes - they do exist. They will leave from Eastern Mediterranean ports like Venice or Istanbul. Look in the Ports of Call Section under Europe - eastern Mediterranean. Here's a sample post from that board -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1997573