Quest - will we like it if we are past guests of Seabourn & Regent?

cigloo

Hello all,

We have friends sailing on the Quest in 2015 in Europe and they want us to go. We have never sailed on them (Solstice in 2009 and didn't like it). Our preferred lines are Regent and Crystal.

What can we expect and will we like it? :confused:

Thanks!

Welcome to the AZ board. There are many discussions along those lines if you read through some of the posts and CC has a great cruise review section.

The cruise review section is very easy to search, you can put in AZ cruises and many will be available to read.

Happy Sailing!

Cigloo, you're welcome to read my report of our first cruise with Azamara. I wrote it from a newbie's perspective so it may be useful in helping you form an idea about what it's like. We thoroughly enjoyed the Azamara experience. If you have the chance to travel with friends, that sweetens the pot even more! I say go for it. :D http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966387

Hello all,

We have friends sailing on the Quest in 2015 in Europe and they want us to go. We have never sailed on them (Solstice in 2009 and didn't like it). Our preferred lines are Regent and Crystal.

What can we expect and will we like it? :confused:

Thanks!

We had sailed once on Regent prior to our first Azamara cruise, but we keep going back to Azamara now! We found the officers and crew so warm and so eager to truly treat you as a welcomed guest. That said, the cabins on Azamara are MUCH smaller and less lux..no walk in closet or built in vanity . You might want to consider a club continent suite for more space, a better bathroom, and unlimited specialty dining. No need to try to nab limited on line reservations. I'd say...join your friends!

I have not sailed Crystal, but I have been on Regent twice and I prefer Azamara. It depends on what you are looking for. While the Azamara cabins are indeed not as nice, I prefer the warmth of of the staff and crew and the informality of the atmosphere. Informal doesn't mean grubby, but there is a casual unpretentiousness that we enjoyed. It may just have been the passengers on our particular Regent voyages, but the Azamara folks didn't seem as inclined to be as pompous or status conscious. I also had the most unhelpful stateroom attendant I have had on any line. I would sum up the service by saying that on Regent the staff is always willing to help. On Azamara, they are eager to help from the captain on down. The messages on these boards will confirm that this is Azamara's strong suit. If you prefer a nicer cabin and more amenities, I might suggest booking a suite. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Having sailed on Regent Voyager and Azamara Quest and Journey I have to say I enjoy both lines. The smaller cabins on bathrooms on Azamara do not bother me, although I do enjoy the extra space on Regent.

Staff on both are fantastic but the officers on Azamara are much more engaging.

We have cruised on Regent, Seabourn and Azamara and love all three. If money was no object I'd opt for Regent or Seabourn, but am perfectly happy with Azamara and usually get an excellent deal, which sways me considerably.

I don't notice any difference in service, but clearly the more expensive lines have much bigger rooms and much more choice with drinks.

I have travelled on Crystal, Silverseas and Seabourn. However, I would choose Azamara over all three if itineraries were the same. However, don't expect the luxuriousness of cabins and bathrooms and even the suites don't compare.So you may ask 'why choose Azamara?'

It's a special onboard experience, wonderful crew led by fab senior officers, I think the food is amongst the best at sea and just love the overall experience.

I would certainly travel on any of the above lines, would prefer to sail Azamara but will go with my preferred itinerary.

Having sailed on all three I would agree with others that the cabins are much smaller and not as luxurious. After our last Seabourn cruise I would say that Azamara staff are better. Also you have more choice of speciality restaurants and they are included in your fare. On Seabourn you only have Restaurant 2 and it does not appeal to me.

The officers on Azamara are so friendly, perhaps they are on the other lines if you ahve sailed with them for years. I would say go for it and have an open mind and try not to compare.

... On Seabourn you only have Restaurant 2 ...

This is isn't quite accurate. On the three little sisters (Pride, Spirit, Legend) there are indeed only two always available dining venues. On occasion the Sky Grill is open for lunch/dinner. However on the bigger sisters (Quest, Odyssey, Sojurn) you have the restaurant, R2, the Patio Grill and the Colonnade from which to choose. Seabourn square does have some food but it's not really a dining venue per se.

Of course, it's a personal choice. We have been so happy with Azamara that we choose it now every time. It feels like home--a gracious home with friendly, relaxed guests and staff. There is an AZ warmth that is hard to explain until you experience it. Will do our 7th Azamara cruise this summer. We have been in regular verandah and Club Continent Suites. The smaller size room doesn't bother us as long as we have a balcony. Again, it all depends on personal choice. ddcruiser

Thanks everyone for your insight. Sounds like we will be fine as we will know what we are getting into - smaller cabins/bathrooms..........and it's being with friends is the most important :)

Im glad you decided to book Azamara..after reading what I wrote it was definitely not what I meant to say..Yes the cabins are smaller, the ship is older but the warm staff on Azamara from the Captain and Hotel Manager and down..more than makes up for any differences..the food in the restaurants on Azamara is just as good if not better than the other ships..my main objection is the size of the rooms..but as others have said if you are with friends it doesnt really matter..we are sailing on 2/10 on Quest and really cant wait..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

We, too, are trying to decide between a Regent, an Azamara back to back, and an Oceania cruise after sailing on Silversea, Regent and Seabourn during the past 10 years. We have concluded that the Club Continent cabins would be better for us in terms of size, and more comparable to what we are used to.

We have never really clicked with fellow cruisers on Silversea for a variety of reasons. We did enjoy our last group a lot, and had a lot of fun on several shore excursions and sharing several meals. But for the most part, fellow travelers were retired and traveled constantly, which we do not.

We will be celebrating our Anniversary this October, so are limited in what is available at that time. Azamara sounds nice, but so did the Seabourn cruise from Hell to the Caribbean we took 5 years ago ! We also took a family cruise on Norwegian years ago, so we have experienced mass market cruising.

Since the Azamara experience would be 14 nights, I don't want to make the wrong decision! The shore excursion promotion expires in a few days, so I have to commit or forget it I guess. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA.

Most passengers on Azamara cruises are retired who travel a lot!

With all due respect, I don't think that's the case at all. However, I think the longer cruises attract more retired people but that's the case with every cruise line. You can't single out Azamara for that one.

Most passengers on Azamara cruises are retired who travel a lot!

I don't agree with that statement at all I'm afraid! We don't fit that mould. We have met a broad range of people on board, however I would say that this line attracts those who like to 'travel' as opposed to 'cruisers' due to the over night stops and the destination immersion (so a more interesting type of traveller rather than those who just want to drink and watch the world float by..)

If only we were retired, we could then do more cruises - I would say about half the guests on our last cruise were not retired. Many are self employed and Azamaras relatively generous allowance of internet minutes for repeat cruisers helps a lot for these cruisers

I think we have ruled out the Oceania cruise in October and now are debating the Azamara back to back and a Regent at the same time period during the first week of October. We would be taking an Azamara larger cabin (Club Continent?) to give us more space, and the amenities seem pretty comparable. The itinerary is nice, and with the excursions included we may bite the bullet. We only have a few days to decide, so it is decision time!

Club continent Suites are very nice and our butler was super!! We had a balcony on our first Azamara Cruise and a Club Continent on our second...night and day difference. We'll continue to book the Club continent Suites. We've never been on Regent so don't know how the cabins compare. Azamara's Club Continent suites aren't as nice as RCL's Grande Suites or Celebrity's Royal suites but much nicer than a balcony cabins.

I don't agree with that statement at all I'm afraid! We don't fit that mould. We have met a broad range of people on board, however I would say that this line attracts those who like to 'travel' as opposed to 'cruisers' due to the over night stops and the destination immersion (so a more interesting type of traveller rather than those who just want to drink and watch the world float by..)

Exactly right. It's not clear to me why Granny has tried so hard to stereotype Azamara so incorrectly.

We are retired but work from home. We are NOT cruisers but travelers. We have been fortunate to live and work all over the world. We choose our cruises based on itinerary. The people we have met on our previous Azamara cruises are very much like us....travelers. Many are retired. I'm amazed that "retired" means "old" to many people on this board.