Zuiderdam Spring Repositioning

WayneFougere

I'm looking for detailed Zuiderdam Spring Repositioning Cruise reviews. I've googled everything I can think of but am only getting a few useful hits. Does anyone have links worth reading?

There are several on our roll call who have done the cruise before - personally, I never do reviews, but maybe I will after doing it a second time (and planning a third in 2015!). And I don't recall a review of this particular itinerary, either. Maybe put your questions out on the roll call and someone may have answers.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=266

I am sure you will find some helpful info.

Yes, I've seen that, thank you. I did find it helpful (thought I'm a bit concerned by those that emphasize the problems ... especial many recent AC & plumbing problems that make our chances seem like a crap shoot) but I didn't find exactly what I was hoping to find.

I'd love to find one or two of the long winded review type (with detailed at sea and port descriptions). So far I haven't found any diary like missives for this itinerary. I suspect everybody was just too engrossed in the vacation (as I will be when it's my turn!).

We have done 4 Pacific Coastal cruises, from 4 to 6 days. One was on the Zuiderdam.

Here are a few things to consider:

Due to weather and sea conditions, you might not make all (or any) of your ports. This happened on our last 2 cruises.

The crew's efficiency likely will not be as good as on a regular run (such as a 7 day).

Some of the other things (like a formal night) may or may not happen.

All in all, the cruises were fine, but not as good as a normal 7 day (or longer) cruise.

As to the Zuiderdam, we did not experience any air conditioning (or plumbing) problems - this was about a year ago. On a Pacific Coastal I doubt air conditioning will be an issue.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

DH and I did our first cruise last April on the Z'dam. It sailed out of Ft Lauderdale and deposited us in San Diego 18 days later. It terminated in Vancouver about 4 days later.

We were in a Neptune Suite and had no crew issues with our suite, concierge staff and MDR.

Toilet and A/C worked fine and the only equipment issue was that the shower/bath temp was just lukewarm. Given the heat and humidity it wasn't a big deal but we never thought to have it fixed until a couple of days before disembarking. Turns out there's a discrete thermostat that was broken and Walla we had hot water.

Nothing to compare against, as it was our first cruise, but we enjoyed our MDR meals. Didn't try the Lido or Pinnacle Grill for dinner.

We made all our ports without problem. Not too fond of Aruba, Curacao or Nicaragua but the rest were great.

It is very warm and humid that late in April, so go prepared with sun protection and take a bottle you've filled with water before going ashore on an excursion.

Passengers from Western Canada were in abundance, happy to escape the brutal winter that year.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if there's more to know.

DH and I did our first cruise last April on the Z'dam.

Not too fond of Aruba, Curacao or Nicaragua but the rest were great.

It is very warm and humid that late in April, so go prepared with sun protection and take a bottle you've filled with water before going ashore on an excursion.

Water bottle & sun screen seem like good advice. Is insect repellent required?

I'd enjoy hearing an elaboration of what was or wasn't worth doing in each port. They're all new to me. I'd also like to hear about the pace of life and quality of activities on board.

We have done several full transits of the Panama Canal. No matter when you go, the Panama Canal is very warm -- thus you need sun tan lotion and need to wear a hot if you burn easily. Do not try to stay out on the deck for all those hours. Drink plenty of water. Remember that the ship is traveling at a slow speed thus no breeze. One thing we like are the Panama Buns served only on that morning.