When do I have to pay/excursions

hollon

I know the 2015 cruises will be coming up in the next few months, so I'll put down a deposit, my question is we want to go whale watching w/ Harv/Marv and also do Northstar Trekking (a group will go our separate ways). So, If I can't afford the money for whale watching or trekking right now for 2015, do they usually get filled up as soon as they open, and then I'm just out of luck. (Big Christmas bill:eek: Also, what if my kids trekking gets cancelled due to weather, should I go ahead and pay for their whale watching even if they can/can't make it. I don't want them just wandering around Juneau by themselves if they miss their excursion - just don't know what to do.????? Hope this makes sense :)

I know the 2015 cruises will be coming up in the next few months, so I'll put down a deposit, my question is we want to go whale watching w/ Harv/Marv and also do Northstar Trekking (a group will go our separate ways). So, If I can't afford the money for whale watching or trekking right now for 2015, do they usually get filled up as soon as they open, and then I'm just out of luck. (Big Christmas bill:eek: Also, what if my kids trekking gets cancelled due to weather, should I go ahead and pay for their whale watching even if they can/can't make it. I don't want them just wandering around Juneau by themselves if they miss their excursion - just don't know what to do.????? Hope this makes sense :)

Different companies have different policies about payment, so you'll have to ask the companies you plan to book with. I do know that if you sail with Princess and book excursions through them, you don't pay anything in advance. It goes on your onboard account.

You mention that your "kids" are going trekking but you don't want them wandering around town alone if the trek gets cancelled. What age "kids" are we talking about? Teens or young adults? I would assume that if they are old enough to go on the trekking excursion without you, they are old enough to explore the town or go back to the ship themselves? Or they could book something at the docks, like a shuttle to Mendenhall.

If you're booking excursions with RCI (which I usually don't..I prefer to book privately when I can) you must pay for them at time they are booked using a credit card or any other form of payment they require...many wanting to use OBC will wait until they board...but always a chance you take.

Different companies have different policies about payment, so you'll have to ask the companies you plan to book with. I do know that if you sail with Princess and book excursions through them, you don't pay anything in advance. It goes on your onboard account.

You mention that your "kids" are going trekking but you don't want them wandering around town alone if the trek gets cancelled. What age "kids" are we talking about? Teens or young adults? I would assume that if they are old enough to go on the trekking excursion without you, they are old enough to explore the town or go back to the ship themselves? Or they could book something at the docks, like a shuttle to Mendenhall.

One daughter will almost be 19 and the other 15, the 19 yr. old is really responsible, mature. Thanks for the advice about the shuttle.

Whale watching is darn expensive, so you may want to re-think buying seats for your kids who may not participate. If you want something else for them to do in case their first excursion is cancelled, see what the cruise line offers for lower-cost excursions. Some of them may be "lame" and may get you :rolleyes: from the kids but less-expensive might be worth it ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure Juneau library has free wifi -- double-check that -- you could send them their to catch up with friends online while you are on your WW.

If you're booking excursions with RCI (which I usually don't..I prefer to book privately when I can) you must pay for them at time they are booked using a credit card or any other form of payment they require...many wanting to use OBC will wait until they board...but always a chance you take.

Agree, on RCI we had to pay for excursions when we booked them. Princess had a more welcoming policy. We did not pay for the excursion until we actually went and were able to cancel until 24 hours prior to the excursion.

HAL is the same way - pay when booked.

DON

You pay for excursions when you book them, on RCI, but you don't have to book excursions when you book the cruise. I think excursions might not open up until a few months before the cruise starts so you will have time to save money.

All the excursions looked expensive. I don't know if it's Alaska or just that prices have gone up a lot in the few years since I cruised.

We booked Harv & Marv whale watching a year in advance, paying a 50% deposit. The balance is due 60 days before the excursion and is non refundable, unless the ship is not able to dock. They are a private company with small boats and I would not expect them to take a booking and refund the money on the day of the excursion if you choose not to go. They do seem old enough to explore on their own, especially if your 19 year old is mature.

Mary Lou