CELEBRITY vs CCL a Review of our 1st X Cruise

threeputt101

We just returned from our first cruise on X, the Summit, 1/11 - 1/18. We are platinum on CCL so I thought I would attempt to compare the two in this review. We are in our 50's and have never had a bad cruise with CCL. We decided to try X because of the 1,2,3 Go promo.

Embarking in San Juan was quite easy. We arrived at the terminal around noon and we were seated at the Sunset bar enjoying a frozen cocktail by 12:20. We have had the same experience embarking with CCL in San Juan so I'm calling this a tie.

Rooms were ready about 1:00pm so we headed down to check out the room.

We were on deck 7, Concierge class balcony, cabin 7197. We prefer the rooms on CCL to X's as we thought there was more storage in them but the room was fine. I'll give the slightest of edges to CCL here.

That ends any advantages we perceived CCL to have. In every other area, we found X to be better. Some areas slightly better, some substantially.

We found the food substantially better regardless of venue. The buffet area was the biggest difference. We thought the food was several steps up from CCL. Very clean and well organized. The food and service in the MDR was great and the one meal we had in the Normandy was really good.

Bar service through out the ship was great as were the cabin stewards and guest services. For reasons I do not know, guest services sent my DW a gorgeous boutique of flowers and champagne. I went to guest services to thank Angelina, who had sent the flowers, to inquire as to why the kind jester and she said she wanted us to have a great cruise. Just a classy touch!!

We also found the ship decor and layout to be better. Not gaudy like we had become accustomed to on CCL. Very easy to navigate to ship.

I could go on for hours but to summarize, we will have trouble ever returning to CCl. X was just better and classier in every area. Throw in the advantages of the 1,2,3 go promo, which we thought was spectacular, and now we are spoiled. We were beginning to get bored with cruising but X has changed that. We are booked on the Summit again in October and are literally, counting down the days.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions as I'm sure I neglected to mention numerous other highlights.

Rob

Wow! Well, if you liked Summit, you really need to try an S Class ship--Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette or Reflection.

I liked Summit a lot, but the S class just blows me away. I have been on every major line and have finally found my 'home'. The ships are spectacular!

We took a Princess cruise last year with family, and I really disliked the ship after being so spoiled. Our family, who have never cruised before, thought the ship was great :eek:

So do yourselves a favor and try an S--soon!

Wow! Well, if you liked Summit, you really need to try an S Class ship--Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette or Reflection.

I liked Summit a lot, but the S class just blows me away. I have been on every major line and have finally found my 'home'. The ships are spectacular!

We took a Princess cruise last year with family, and I really disliked the ship after being so spoiled. Our family, who have never cruised before, thought the ship was great :eek:

So do yourselves a favor and try an S--soon!

Agreed. I have been on the Summit and enjoyed it. But absolutely nothing is better than an S-class ship. They are truly amazing.

I am a huge fan of the M-class ships like Summit and disagree that S-class are better. They are newer and have more venues and things like that but I like the feel of the Millenium class ships. The size and glass everywhere makes them my favorite vessels. That's not to say I don't like S-class, just not as much. That's just my opinion.

So glad you enjoyed Celebrity. I hadn't tried them until 2001 and since then I have sailed Celebrity 9 times. Celebrity has the best service I have encountered.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We just returned from our first cruise on X, the Summit, 1/11 - 1/18. We are platinum on CCL so I thought I would attempt to compare the two in this review. We are in our 50's and have never had a bad cruise with CCL. We decided to try X because of the 1,2,3 Go promo.

Celebrity product overall is a higher class than Carnival, no questions.

However, as you are making a comparison you need to name what Carnival ship you have in mind. Carnival has for different classes of ships.

You have brought yourself to the point of being Platinum with the only cruise line and being bored of cruising (!!!!)

Don't repeat your mistake. Dont build another idol.

Try different cruise lines & ships.

Enjoy your cruises!

Edited by cruisetrail

I am also Platinum on Carnival. I have enjoyed all of my cruises with them. Out of a hunch and a whim I booked a cruise on Celebrity. I was hooked. Am now Elite and close to being Elite plus. We are also Paltinum on Princess.

In Oct thru Nov 2012 we saied on the Dream and the Ruby Princess. I doubt vey much if we will go back to either.

We like the very restrictive smoking policy Celebrity as the main draw.

We also like being treated as adults instead of someone that has to be constantly reminded about activiities by ship wide announcements.

I now see that Carnival is considering eliminating the table cloths in the MDR. I do like the comedy club that they have but don't like how they changed breakfast to Geroge Lopez Comedy brunch.

If you liked the Summit which is a M class ship you will really be in for a treat when you walk onto a S class.

The only draw back to the S class is there is less storage in the cabins.

I ink the drinks are also better on Celebrity.

.🌴🍸🍻🍺

My last job assignment was on the Mississippi coast and for that period we took countless cruises on CCL. Most were 4-5 day cruises from New Orleans or Mobile. Cruises were nice and enjoyed them very much. Did not know anything else. With kids still home it was a great escape to the beaches of Mexico. Even tried NCL once out of New Orleans, quickly returned to CCL, liked it better.

Then retired about 4 years ago and my wife for my retirement booked the two us on the Solstice for a Med cruise. WOW, the difference was not even close. Food (both in MDR & buffet) far exceeded CCL, entertainment was more to my taste, not having the constant hassling to purchase drinks or take your picture that is on CCL was definitely not missed, professionalism of the staff of Celebrity, etc.. made the cruise so much more enjoyable.

To date, we taken 2 other European cruises with Celebrity (Silhouette and Reflection) and just completed a Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette.

I feel a lot better. We have only previously cruised Royal and Carnival and I have recently had second thoughts regarding our upcoming cruise on the Silhouette. Not that I would cancel but I was worried about being bored and having enough to do at night. While I do like a good piano bar, I have no doubt that I will be entertained and will certainly appreciate the food and service. That being said, I have never had a bad cruise ever, regardless of line. Looking forward to our virgin cruise on X!

Embarking in San Juan was quite easy. We arrived at the terminal around noon and we were seated at the Sunset bar enjoying a frozen cocktail by 12:20. We have had the same experience embarking with CCL in San Juan so I'm calling this a tie.

Rooms were ready about 1:00pm so we headed down to check out the room.

We were on deck 7, Concierge class balcony, cabin 7197. We prefer the rooms on CCL to X's as we thought there was more storage in them but the room was fine. I'll give the slightest of edges to CCL here.

That ends any advantages we perceived CCL to have. In every other area, we found X to be better. Some areas slightly better, some substantially.

We found the food substantially better regardless of venue. The buffet area was the biggest difference. We thought the food was several steps up from CCL. Very clean and well organized. The food and service in the MDR was great and the one meal we had in the Normandy was really good.

Bar service through out the ship was great as were the cabin stewards and guest services. For reasons I do not know, guest services sent my DW a gorgeous boutique of flowers and champagne. I went to guest services to thank Angelina, who had sent the flowers, to inquire as to why the kind jester and she said she wanted us to have a great cruise. Just a classy touch!!

We also found the ship decor and layout to be better. Not gaudy like we had become accustomed to on CCL. Very easy to navigate to ship.

I could go on for hours but to summarize, we will have trouble ever returning to CCl. X was just better and classier in every area. Throw in the advantages of the 1,2,3 go promo, which we thought was spectacular, and now we are spoiled. We were beginning to get bored with cruising but X has changed that. We are booked on the Summit again in October and are literally, counting down the days.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions as I'm sure I neglected to mention numerous other highlights.

Rob

Thanks for the comparisons.

I have not sailed CCL for over 5 years (so can't really speak to the latest changes)but on my last CCL cruise I was wanting to try something different. I am so glad friends introduced me to Celebrity. While I had great memories and experiences on CCL in my 20's & 30's, Celebrity has been a nice step up.

Though I would not rule out a trip back on CCL if the conditions were right.

Bill

Same as cruzccl--5 years since our last CCL--I'm sure there doing the right things to stay competitive.

Their cabins are large , food is good, entertainment the best.

If you get one of the newer ships in the Med or Baltic, there are no kids and the prices can't be beat(At least that's what we found 5-10 years ago.)

And John Heald is a tremendous CD who brings out their new ships.

m

`c

Great review. I've only had 1 CCL and 2 X, and I pretty much agree with your sentiments. I had a very time on CCL (and to some extent preferred their more active day schedule) but Celebrity spoiled us with service. :D

Celebrity product overall is a higher class than Carnival, no questions.

However, as you are making a comparison you need to name what Carnival ship you have in mind. Carnival has for different classes of ships.

You have brought yourself to the point of being Platinum with the only cruise line and being bored of cruising (!!!!)

Don't repeat your mistake. Dont build another idol.

Try different cruise lines & ships.

Enjoy your cruises!

Having cruised on 6 different cruise lines, I find each one has something good to offer. Yes, some are more elegant than others, some have better entertainment,some better food etc. . We have never had a bad meal on Carnival in the MDR. No ship prepares and presents cold soups as they do. The new Carnival Breeze has one of the best spas ever, with a private elevator leading directly to the spa from their spa cabins,

Thesolopathy pool( absent on many X ships), heated beds at varying angles around a large room -all with ocean views, three saunas, relaxation room in a soothing ocean blue tile decor. On the other hand, The Oasis spa in totally enclosed by walls.

I hate the gaudy older CCL ships, but the Breeze is a step in the right direction!

For over- all quality and value for money I find HAL fall specials to the Caribbean irresistible on the Signature class ships. The BIG drawback is their smoking policy that still permits smoking on balconies! X has the Best smoking policy!

A comparison list would go on and on among the many cruise lines.

Some criteria would be objective, but much would be based on opinion which is fine as long as your opinion doesn't cause you to cruise bash another cruise line or ship.

With over 200 cruise days, we pick and choose by varying factors at any given time. And we can jump on promos without hesitation, because we have the experience to know if it is a worthwhile offer. Princess just offered 100 % back as a FCC on 3-4 day cruises leaving from LA and FLL. Why not take advantage of a free weekend get-away or X's 1,2,3 promo. I find keeping an open mind allows me to cruise more often, make informed decisions,

enjoy different wonderful experiences, take advantage of promos on different cruise lines, not being limited by loyalty.

Bon Voyage to all!

Edited by luv4cruises

I am a huge fan of the M-class ships like Summit and disagree that S-class are better. They are newer and have more venues and things like that but I like the feel of the Millenium class ships. The size and glass everywhere makes them my favorite vessels. That's not to say I don't like S-class, just not as much. That's just my opinion.

So glad you enjoyed Celebrity. I hadn't tried them until 2001 and since then I have sailed Celebrity 9 times. Celebrity has the best service I have encountered.

I would have to agree with this poster!! I like both classes of ships but prefer the M class to the S class. Mainly due to not being as big a ship and less people on it as well. I do think for the most part that the food and service across the entire line of Celebrity ships are generally consistent.