Arriving at Pier

Lamarfamily

This is our first cruise and there is SOOO much to learn. We are booked on Carnival Valor departing San Juan at 10pm. Our flight lands in San Juan at 3:55pm. When I booked the cruise, I was told that boarding would begin at 2pm and we needed to be on board by 8pm....

Hubby is nervous, but I was assured by the Carnival agent this would be just fine....

Just wanted to make sure (for all of you experts out there that is do-able)

Thanks!

Lamarfamily

As long as your flight(s) aren't delayed....I'd consider flying I the day before myself. Nothing worse than starting your vacation due to late flights. Not trying to sound negative bUt it's reality. Good luck

Arriving the day that the ship departs always carries some risk. In this case the risk is, what if you miss the flight that lands in San Juan? I don't know if you are on a non-stop (best), direct flight (good) or connecting flight (can be problematic.

The good news is, even if you arrive two hours late, you will still make it to the ship in time. However, if you are on a connecting flight and you miss the flight, is there another flight that will get you to San Juan in time.

What about your luggage? I've twice had my luggage arrive in a different city than I arrived in. Fortunately both times it was on my way home, so it was no big deal. I recommend you cross pack. Each of you put half your clothing in your suitcase and half in your spouse's suitcase.

There are many reasons you could miss a connecting flight. The original flight could be late, weather, mechanical issues ... It is best to arrive the day before the cruise departs. This gives you plenty of chances to catch a later flight if something goes wrong, or have the airline get your misdirected luggage to you in time.

All that said, I few into San Juan on the day of the cruise, but I was on a non-stop and I was arriving twelve hours before the ship was due to depart. As it was we landed a few minutes late, but given the big window I allowed, it was no big deal. In all other cases I have arrived one or two days prior to the cruise departing.

You will be fine...not everyone can get to the port city the day prior!

Okay thanks - my daughter has a (strong) chance of playing the State Basketball Championship the evening of the 15th, so we don't want to miss it if it does happen.

We are hoping to change our flight to the day before if her team doesn't advance, but won't have a lot of time to make the changes.

Thanks again -

Lamarfamily

If you get a airport to port transfer bus ticket the cruise then has to stay in port until you arrive

Actually this isn't always true. If you book cruise air and/or transfers, the attempt will be made to delay a ship if you're delayed, but in some ports, that won't always be possible. The captain will have the final say.

Actually this isn't always true. If you book cruise air and/or transfers' date=' the attempt will be made to delay a ship if you're delayed, but in some ports, that won't always be possible. The captain will have the final say.[/quote']

Also, if only one or 2 passengers are late, I doubt if they are going to hold the ship for such a small number. They have to balance waiting for 2 people versus the fuel burned to make up for lost time.

Do not count on them waiting.

DON

This is our first cruise and there is SOOO much to learn. We are booked on Carnival Valor departing San Juan at 10pm. Our flight lands in San Juan at 3:55pm. When I booked the cruise, I was told that boarding would begin at 2pm and we needed to be on board by 8pm....

Hubby is nervous, but I was assured by the Carnival agent this would be just fine....

Thanks!

Lamarfamily

There are several things left unsaid in your post that could impact you making the ship -

a) Where do you live? When are you leaving? If in a cold climate area that gets snow, this could cause delays. Even if it does not snow where you live, snow can affect airplane flights over the the entire US.

b) Is your flight non-stop, direct or do you have to change planes?

c) How many flights go from where you live to San Juan on a daily basis. If you have any problems with your airplane, are there alternative flights?

Most of the time arriving on the day of the cruise works. However, do you want to start your vacation stressed?

Think about it.

DON

There are several things left unsaid in your post that could impact you making the ship -

a) Where do you live? When are you leaving? If in a cold climate area that gets snow, this could cause delays. Even if it does not snow where you live, snow can affect airplane flights over the the entire US.

b) Is your flight non-stop, direct or do you have to change planes?

c) How many flights go from where you live to San Juan on a daily basis. If you have any problems with your airplane, are there alternative flights?

Most of the time arriving on the day of the cruise works. However, do you want to start your vacation stressed?

Think about it.

DON

I live in Colorado, flying from denver to Orlando and changing planes in Orlando and continuing to San Juan. There are multiple flights through numerous carriers. I would LOVE to arrive sooner, but my daughter has a (strong) chance of playing in the state basketball championship the night of the 15th, so I would hate to miss that chance. If she doesn't make it we are going to arrive on the 15th, but if she does we don't want her game.

I am willing to bet most people fly in the day of, and without much of an issue. If you are really worried, pack some extra basics in your carry-on bags so if there are luggage issues, you arent stuck. You may even consider only bringing carry-ons so you can go straight through when you land in San Juan.

I would say to check if you can get travel insurance, as an extra precaution. That would give me peace of mind. If you can get it through carnival, perhaps they would be more willing to help that day if there are issues.

For me, travel ahead of time is preferable because there isn't anything better to do. It sounds like you have a very exciting reason to fly in that day, and I certainly hope it works out :)

If you get a airport to port transfer bus ticket the cruise then has to stay in port until you arrive

No they don't have to wait, they do have to make an effort to help you "catch up" with the ship in the next port.

They will wait if you are going to be a few minutes or so, but if there is a big issue and you can't arrive for several hours, they will not hold the entire ship.

I live in Colorado, flying from denver to Orlando and changing planes in Orlando and continuing to San Juan. There are multiple flights through numerous carriers. I would LOVE to arrive sooner, but my daughter has a (strong) chance of playing in the state basketball championship the night of the 15th, so I would hate to miss that chance. If she doesn't make it we are going to arrive on the 15th, but if she does we don't want her game.

One other thing - if you do miss the ship, you may be able to fly to the next port and catch up but only if you have passports. If you miss the ship and do not have passports, your next flight will be back to Denver.

You did not say what month - winter?

I realize that you want to do the championship but I still think that you are taking a real chance. Remember that planes fly almost 100% full these days so it is unlikely that the whole family will be able to make connections or even get on a later flight. In any case, lots of luck.

I would not do what you are doing.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Multiple flights -- numerous carriers.

Wish you luck in getting to the ship on sailing day.

Too risky for me.

I am willing to bet most people fly in the day of, and without much of an issue.

I don't know if most people fly in the day of, but I agree that most people flying anywhere arrive without much of an issue. Yes, the flight might be a little late, but most people leave enough extra time in their schedule so that a plane being a little late is not a big deal.

However, the consequences of missing the ship on embarkation day are bigger than arriving a couple of hours late at a resort. The resort will still be there, the ship will not be. Insurance only pays for the cost of catching up with the ship, or if that is impossible (such as on an Alaska or Hawaii cruise - PVSA issues) will reimburse you for the lost cruise. However, insurance does not pay for the inconvenience or the value of the lost vacation.

Planning to arrive early might not help if the plane cannot fly for some reason, as everyone one on that flight will want to catch the next flight. However, it will save you if you miss a connecting flight and have to take a later one (in which case there will be very few "extra" people looking to board the same flight you are looking to board).

I don't know if most people fly in the day of, but I agree that most people flying anywhere arrive without much of an issue. Yes, the flight might be a little late, but most people leave enough extra time in their schedule so that a plane being a little late is not a big deal.

However, the consequences of missing the ship on embarkation day are bigger than arriving a couple of hours late at a resort. The resort will still be there, the ship will not be. Insurance only pays for the cost of catching up with the ship, or if that is impossible (such as on an Alaska or Hawaii cruise - PVSA issues) will reimburse you for the lost cruise. However, insurance does not pay for the inconvenience or the value of the lost vacation.

Planning to arrive early might not help if the plane cannot fly for some reason, as everyone one on that flight will want to catch the next flight. However, it will save you if you miss a connecting flight and have to take a later one (in which case there will be very few "extra" people looking to board the same flight you are looking to board).

Cuizer2,

Could you do me a BIG favor and look at this post PLEASEEE and lmk what you think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1975775

Post 1 and 68 are what i am interested in. This poor guy has missed the ship due to he left his birth certificate home. he wants to catch up with the ship in Nassau tomorrow but CCL has told him it is not allowed.

The ship left from JAX and he now has his passport.

Thank you so much and to everybody else on this thread i sincerely apologize for the hijack.

Bill

Cuizer2,

Could you do me a BIG favor and look at this post PLEASEEE and lmk what you think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1975775

Post 1 and 68 are what i am interested in. This poor guy has missed the ship due to he left his birth certificate home. he wants to catch up with the ship in Nassau tomorrow but CCL has told him it is not allowed.

The ship left from JAX and he now has his passport.

Thank you so much and to everybody else on this thread i sincerely apologize for the hijack.

Bill

For what it is worth, I provided the information on post 169 of the thread. In short, there is no law preventing Carnival from transporting a passenger from a foreign port to Jacksonville.

Here is a link to the PVSA (which is the law regulating the transportation of passenger by ship to a US port) ... http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf

For what it is worth, I provided the information on post 169 of the thread. In short, there is no law preventing Carnival from transporting a passenger from a foreign port to Jacksonville.

Here is a link to the PVSA (which is the law regulating the transportation of passenger by ship to a US port) ... http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf

Thank you for taking the time to look at the post for me and to post on the other thread.

I appreciate your time and knowledge on the subject.

Again I apologize to everyone else for the hijack.

Bill

Thanks!

Lamarfamily

I think a lot could depend on whether you purchased your flights from CLL or not. I am familiar with DIA and weather in Denver since my son lives there and it can be quite fractious! I'm also a parent and my heart breaks for your dilemma. This being said, I really would not take the chance you are taking but that's me and I'm a well documented control freak! One thing that is going for you is you're flying non-stop Denver to Orlando so unless DIA is closed, you should be good to Florida. Weather in Florida is usually held up by t-storms and while you might be delayed you probably won't be cancelled. Avoid taking the last flight of the day from Orlando to San Juan or you could be royally screwed if there's a weather delay in Orlando. BUT and here's the iffy part: all of this can hinge on where your flight from Orlando to San Juan is originating! For instance, I'm on the south shore of eastern Long Island....everyone flies several non-stops to Orlando every day, but yesterday they were ALL cancelled 'cause we had a coastal winter storm that lasted 24 hours and dumped 12" of snow everywhere! so if you were counting on any airline flight taking you from MCO to San Juan and it originated in NY or Baltimore or Boston(you get the picture I'm sure) you would NOT have gotten to Puerto Rico until today at the earliest and your ship has sailed. I would rather see you fly out day ahead (you're really only leaving yourself about 4 hours to make the ship and in the world of airline travel, 4 hours is nothing) and ask someone to please video the game if your daughter makes the finals.:D

Thanks!

Lamarfamily

Yes, it's doable, but....let me tell you my story. Booked the Celebrity Summit out of San Juan departing 8PM. Booked a red-eye flight LAX-SJU arriving San Juan 9:05A. About a month prior to departure I get a notice that my non-stop flight was cancelled and re-booked via Miami arriving San Juan 12:35P. OK...doable. Ship doesn't sail until 8PM. Flew to Miami arriving 7:35AM; check TV monitor - connecting flight to San Juan changed from 10:35A to 11:35A. OK...waited. Next...originating flight from Boston to Miami had to return to gate at Boston. Mechanical issues. Now departing Miami 12:35P. Getting nervous. What if the flight gets cancelled? Waited and waited and waited. Flight finally arrives, we board. Take off 1PM and arrives San Juan 3:45P. By the time I get my luggage and van to the port, checked in I was on board by 5PM. Life boat drill at 5:30PM. I barely had time to drop off the luggage in the cabin and grab a bite to eat in the Lido cafe. I was starving. It was crazy.

Now...I was so emotionally drained from all the waiting and delays and getting to the ship. I swore I would never ever fly in the day of the cruise. You see...you think everything is going to work fine...but the reality is airplane can get delayed for many reason and it's simply beyond your control. You are at the mercy of the airlines. So when Carnival says everything will be fine-that's only if you don't have any flight delays. I still got to the ship in plenty of time, but it's the emotion toll it can take on you. It's not the best way to start your cruise. Always best to fly in the day prior. That way it doesn't matter whether you arrive at noon or 11:59P; the ship doesn't depart until the following evening. You get a good night's rest and start your cruise without hassles. I've learned my lesson. You might not have any problems-but you know what they say about Murphy's law? Also, if you fly in the day of the cruise you should always purchase travel insurance.

• 5 months later...