Mariner stabilizer issues

Anchorbuoy

We are currently on the Mariner, doing the Rio to Miami, Amazon river cruise. We have been without functioning stabilizers for the past week, and the ride has been rolling every day. We even missed our port call at Devils Island due to high winds and rough waters. The captain has said very little about the stabilizers other than he is doing his best, and the ship is safe. He encouraged passengers to take medications if subject to seasickness.

This morning, the captain announced that the stabilizer requires a part for which no spare exists in the world. They are working on getting a replacement manufactured, with a due date on February 4.

Those of you you getting on in Miami need to be prepared and bring Bonine.

I was VERY disappointed we couldn't stop at Devil's Island on a recent REGENT cruise! I had several hacksaws for my friends on Devil's Island - they were even MORE disappointed! I can't FedEx them!

Regent sent tender out and decided too rough - didn't seem rough to me! Crew member said they hardly ever get to stop there because of swells. (Not all the "swells" were on the ship's manifest.)

Edited by TedC

No updates from the captain yesterday. The ship was in San Juan, getting a Coast Guard inspection. There have been many crew drills the past few days, followed by yesterday's inspections. So, the captain, crew, and senior officers had their hand full.

We departed San Juan one and a half hours late last night. Thankfully, the sea conditions have been calm since we left. The stabilizers probably would not have been used anyway. Smooth sailing, finally !

Anchorbuoy, please update on this issue if possible. Will be boarding Mariner on next cruise.

Good news. The captain sent a letter this afternoon stating that the repair parts are expected to arrive during our stop in Miami tomorrow. If so, the stabilizers will be repaired before departure.

Phew! I knew it was a good precautionary measure to buy Bonine today ;-)

Thank you for keeping us in the picture, Anchorbuoy. Is this the end of your cruise, or will we get to thank you in person tomorrow?

Gilly

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Glad that the part arrived early, the skipper must have been taught to calculate the fix date by doubling and adding half to the estimate, just as I was many years ago. Better to look like a star than a dud.

Hope the rest of your cruise is "stable"

2 weeks to I join the Mariner in Lima!!:)