Easter Island

Over on the HAL board is an interesting report of a call to Easter Island on this years Amsterdam world cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1954366&page=12

As well as being of general interest to those interested in Pacific cruising , it may be of interest to anyone on Dawns World Cruise which is calling there this year.

Over on the HAL board is an interesting report of a call to Easter Island on this years Amsterdam world cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1954366&page=12

As well as being of general interest to those interested in Pacific cruising , it may be of interest to anyone on Dawns World Cruise which is calling there this year.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting read with lots of good information. Certinaly on our "bucket list";)

Would love to go there too... it's so remote though, I'm not sure I ever will!

The cruises that go from South America to Easter Island and then Tahiti or NZ are very rare, and it seems that they only occur every couple of years due to the remoteness of the island.:D

It seems to be that only the World cruises call there as it is so remote.

You can also fly there . NASA built an airport,(well a runway) just in case they needed to retrieve any of the space capsules. I think the flights are from Tahiti and then on to Chile?

When the cruise ships call at Easter Island , they usually include Pitcairn.

We did the Amsterdam WC segment in 2003 from Valparaiso to Sydney and called at both islands on the way to Tahiti.

Both Islands are amazing.

The Ocean Princess will be calling into Easter Island on it's voyage from Fort Lauderdale -leaving 2nd January 2015, arriving at Easter Island on 18th January. Looks like an amazing cruise!! Seriously considering this one. :-)

Vicki.

The Ocean Princess will be calling into Easter Island on it's voyage from Fort Lauderdale -leaving 2nd January 2015, arriving at Easter Island on 18th January. Looks like an amazing cruise!! Seriously considering this one. :-)

Vicki.

That is an interesting itinerary...Wonder how you would get on with the flights?

That is an interesting itinerary...Wonder how you would get on with the flights?

Hi Kiwi Kruzer,

Would like to have a couple of days in Oahu, then fly on to Fort Lauderdale, then coming home would ideally like to fly from Tahiti to Auckland, have a couple of days there then fly on home...well that would be the plan.....the cost could be interesting though :rolleyes:

Just love the itinerary :) I can dream :D

We flew from Santiago to Easter Island. Stayed 3 nights and returned to Santiago with LAN. Found out later we could have flown from Easter Island to Tahiti and home from there.

The cost and time was more than justified, an amazing place:):D

We flew from Santiago to Easter Island. Stayed 3 nights and returned to Santiago with LAN. Found out later we could have flown from Easter Island to Tahiti and home from there.

The cost and time was more than justified, an amazing place:):D

Cool, I will get there one day. What airline flies to Tahiti? it wouldn't be LAN or is it Tahitian airlines.:D

Cool, I will get there one day. What airline flies to Tahiti? it wouldn't be LAN or is it Tahitian airlines.:D

I flew home from South America via Easter Island - LAN to Easter Island then Air Tahiti from there to Sydney. Flights to Sydney were only twice a week so you either stayed 2 nights or 5 nights (because of timing of incoming LAN flights). I opted for 5 nights, stayed at a waterfront B&B and hired a 4WD. A lot of visitors stick to the guided tours so I was at some of the sites on my own (apart from roaming horses) to watch the moonrise.

I hope to go back on a world cruise.

Coming home this way only increased my return airfare to South America by a nominal amount so it's definitely worth considering.

I flew home from South America via Easter Island - LAN to Easter Island then Air Tahiti from there to Sydney. Flights to Sydney were only twice a week so you either stayed 2 nights or 5 nights (because of timing of incoming LAN flights). I opted for 5 nights, stayed at a waterfront B&B and hired a 4WD. A lot of visitors stick to the guided tours so I was at some of the sites on my own (apart from roaming horses) to watch the moonrise.

I hope to go back on a world cruise.

Coming home this way only increased my return airfare to South America by a nominal amount so it's definitely worth considering.

Sounds wonderful and a great way to see the place fully.:D

• 2 weeks later...

While scanning the web cams today , came across Pacific Princess anchored at Easter Island

6 Feb 2014 our time , (5 Feb at Easter Island)

Looks like they have a perfect day to tender ashore.

Note the absence of trees on the Island. One theory is that they cut down the trees to use as rollers for the huge Moai, and then with no replanting , the wind blew the soil away and the Island could not support the population , so they had to leave.

6pacificeaster_zpsabadbab6.jpg