DC - Baltimore Cruise - Then NY! Help!

MTtraveler

I can't exactly find the information I'm looking for... so any input would be appreciated. We are a family of 5. Two teens going to DC for a school trip, so thought we would cruise out of Baltimore this summer. AND since we are on the east coast, thought we would run up to New York after the cruise. Here are my questions/thoughts.

I'm thinking we can do without a car for the two days we will be in DC before the cruise. Have been there before and done most of the sights and are OK with the metro. What is the best way to get from DC to the port of Baltimore? Should we rent a car for that morning? Can we drop off at the pier?

Then, after the cruise - I see that there is a train that goes from Baltimore to NY. Would probably take a taxi from the pier to the train station. Is this the best option? $40 per ticket for the train - is that a good price?

Again, in NY we are thinking of just not having a car. However, this would be really unfamiliar territory. Any suggestions on where to stay? What would be easy? We will be there for just a couple of days to hit the highlights - Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center memorial etc. Then, how do we get back to the airport?

Sorry this is long - just hoping someone has done this before with success and could give me their insight.

Thanks in advance!!

A car is an expensive liability in New York City.

What are your exact dates? What is your hotel budget?

There are three airports for NYC- Newark, LaGuardia, and JFK. You can get to them by airport bus, train, car service, or taxi.

Your biggest problem is going to find a hotel that will accommodate 5 people. Look at Marriott properties first and Doubletree Times Square. If you find anything in midtown to lower Manhattan that offers a room for 5, make a cancellable reservation while you continue to search.

If Manhattan hotels are too pricey, look at the Marriott courtyard in Jersey City. This hotel,will give you excellent access to both midtown and downtown Manhattan via PATH. If you take the train up from Baltimore, you can get off at Newark Penn Station and take Path to Journal Square, transfer across the platform to the 33rd St train that will take you to the Newport stop, which is where most of the nice Jersey City hotels are located.

A car in DC and NY is a liability, NOT an asset. DC is not huge and very "walkable" (I think) but for things that are not terribly close, the Metro is wonderful. We were there in the spring and only used the Metro once to go out to American University. We stayed around the corner from the Capital and walked just about everywhere. Also, in NY, no hotel is close to "everything" but buses and subway are THE way to go. Train is fine from Baltimaore to NYC, but if you are looking for less expensive alternatives, check out "Mega Bus" Depending on what day, time and how far you book in advance, some routes are only a few $$$$ (without looking it up, I'd bet DC or Baltimore could be done for about $20) and if there are 5 of you, that really adds up. Check out "Travelzoo" they had some good deals for hotels in NYC. We've never cruised out of Baltimore, but does the line you'll be sailing on offer transfers to the train station and if so, how much pp? As there are 5 of you with luggage, you couldn't do just 1 cab. Get a Fedor, Lonely Planet, Rick Steves or similar guide book for NYC to map out your stay and "to do" list. I assume you'll need to get to JFK, LGA or Newark airport. Again with 5, you'd need to cabs so a car service (van) would be the best option, I think. THere are several car services serving NYC and the airports. Just check out some of the other posts on this tread and they mention them by name and contact info, both phone and e-mail. I can be no help regarding getting from DC to Baltimore, but check with your cruise line as some lines offer bus transport for major cities to cruise departure cities in the northeast. We've used it to get to Port Liberty in NJ for a "Celebrity" cruise and they offered transport from about 15 cities. Your cruise line may offer it to Baltimore and if they do, I'd bet DC would we one of the cities where you could depart.

To add on:

Unless you're local, if you're actually staying in the District, I wouldn't mess with a car. You may be able to pick up a car in DC and drop off in Baltimore on your way out, but it's easy enough to catch the train from Union Station to Baltimore's Penn Station, then take a cab/cabs to the port. Do you know where you're staying in DC? If you're staying in the suburbs, that calculus could change.

Since you're going on a cruise, I'm assuming you'll have a fair amount of luggage. MARC is the commuter train, but with bags I'd look at Amtrak. The saver fares (non-refundable) are as low as $12/person.

You can also take the Green Line (Metro) to Greenbelt and take the BWI Express Bus to BWI. But, I wouldn't do that with bags, and you'd still have to get to the port.

From Baltimore to NYC, yeah, Amtrak is probably the easiest, and $40 for the Saver fare on the NE Regional is about right. Megabus will work, as previously suggested, if you want to save money, but I personally like the train. You do NOT need to pay for Acela; it only saves $25-30 minutes for 3-5X the cost.

With 5 of you, you'll want a car service from Manhattan to the airport. It'll be more comfortable, and you'll all be able to get in the same vehicle.

And, as noted before, the hotel is really a function of when you're traveling. Five to a room will be difficult. If you're thinking two rooms, that will probably be easier. Marriott properties are all over town, and if you have AAA for instance, can be a good deal. It really boils down to timing and budget.

I'm thinking we can do without a car for the two days we will be in DC before the cruise. Have been there before and done most of the sights and are OK with the metro. What is the best way to get from DC to the port of Baltimore? Should we rent a car for that morning? Can we drop off at the pier? no car rental drop off points. the airport is about 20-30 minutes away and you'd have to cab it from there.

Then, after the cruise - I see that there is a train that goes from Baltimore to NY. Would probably take a taxi from the pier to the train station. Is this the best option? $40 per ticket for the train - is that a good price? only option other than private transport. do you mean Amtrak?

Again, in NY we are thinking of just not having a car. However, this would be really unfamiliar territory. Any suggestions on where to stay? What would be easy? We will be there for just a couple of days to hit the highlights - Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center memorial etc. Then, how do we get back to the airport? can't answer this as we do not do the City.

Sorry this is long - just hoping someone has done this before with success and could give me their insight.

Thanks in advance!!

stay on a Metro line in DC and you definitely will not need a car. train to BWI and cab to the pier

I went to college in downtown Baltimore and used MARC all the time to go home, to DC, and to the airport. As long as you pack smart and your luggage is on a rollers, I'd do it. It was more affordable than using AMTRAK, but it also runs limited times. I think they just did or are about to open weekend travel from DC to Baltimore.

A PP suggested MegaBus and it's great, but it's Baltimore stop is at the White Marsh mall 22 minutes away from the port.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

OP mentioned about getting back to the airport for the flight returning home afterward - which airport are you using ? Staying near EWR, hotels run free shuttle to the airports but you will need to add time to/from sights & sounds in NYC for a couple of days. Do you have a preference for hotel chains/properties or is budget/cost a prime consideration - as you will really need 2 rooms for 5 people, unless you can find a bargain/deal for a suite, and even with 2 Queen Beds - the pullout sofa bed is often horrible for multi-night sleeping, except for kids.

Depending on your specific travel dates & whether it'll include the weekend or for weekdays, you should use various hotel search "engines" including Hotwires & even Priceline (for 2 rooms) - staying within NYC, neighborhoods like Long Island City have reasonably priced 3 star hotels, and, they are easy walking distance to the subway train to/from Manhattan.

Between Baltimore & NY, with 5 of you traveling + 1 roller suitcase or backpack and some carry-ons, you got your hands full - Mega Bus, as noted, 22 miles from the port can be as low as $18 p/p + cost of a mini-van/taxi or shuttle getting there. Transfer to BWI to get onto the rails might be easier & faster but it will also involved taxi/shuttle from the pier. You might want to look into & consider doing a one-way minivan rental - for one day with unlimited miles, from BWI to the NY area, dropoff the entire party at the hotel after checking in, and then return the rental to the nearby airport location. There might be one-way late Spring specials as corporate-owned Hertz & others need to relocate part of their fleet up the East Coast - I quickie checked Hertz, with AAA discount (or, AARP) as other coupons are generally not honored for one-way, with all the taxes, surcharges, fees plus tolls coming up thru MD, DE & NJ & gasoline (much cheaper to refill in NJ) - it should cost about $250 to $275, pretty close what you would spend for train & taxis.

If you are in a mini-van & up in the NY area by Saturday or Sunday night, traffic isn't that bad & you might even want to drive around a bit together, and - depending on your hotel/airport combo - keep it overnight & then return it the next morning (all within 24 hours for a 1-day, one-way rental) - just a thought sitting warm inside sipping coffee, more (nuisance) snow in the forecast tomorrow .... think tropical, think Caribbean. :D

To Manhattan from Baltimore, no car needed. Taxi from the cruise terminal to Penn Station, approximately 5-6 miles.

Amtrak - The $40 fare is a steal! Leaves from Penn (Amtrak) Station in Baltimore.

Bolt Bus - located at Penn Station.

https://www.boltbus.com/

Megabus - located in a Baltimore suburb named White Marsh, approximately 15 miles from the cruise terminal.

http://us.megabus.com/

My choices - Amtrak or Bolt Bus. Bolt can be extremely inexpensive if you book ahead. We recently paid $32 round trip for two...2nd fare was free. Good luck. ;)

Thanks for your replies everyone!

So yes, will most likely not have a car anywhere. Just was thinking about grabbing a car to get from DC to the port of Baltimore, but if there is a train, we will most likely do that.

Our dates are the first weeks of June, and yes - 5 to a room is a pain. We do have a niece in NY so may plop the kids there for the 2-3 nights were are there if hotels for 5 are just too pricey.

As for luggage - even with 4 girls, we are known to pack super light - only carry-ons for us... hopefully :)

Thanks again!

If it's just down to you and the spouse for Manhattan, what are you wanting to do and what are you willing to spend? Any chain preferences or are you a boutique kind of guy?

If you're down to two, and wanting to enjoy yourself in Manhattan, there are SO many options, from Downtown to Tribeca to Times Square to Midtown East that come into play! And, you're right on the shoulder of when thing start getting crazy, so it's entirely possible you could get into the W Times Square, for instance, for a very good rate. Or one of the funky Kimpton Properties.

Just depends on what you really want to do...