Bringing a case of wine on board CB in Houston

Carol Ann III

I've checked a case of wine on HAL before with no problems. I got a cardboard case from Total Wine that had the cardboard dividers in the box slapped on a luggage tag and handed the porter some cash to take care of it. By the way I think we're on the same cruise and I plan on doing this again for this cruise.

It's getting close now!

Brad

Policies have changed for HAL and Princess. Just be prepared to go to the naughty room and either have your wine confiscated or pay $15 per bottle. Princess requests that you carry it on and there could be additional sanctions for smuggling. You may get lucky but with the new scanners, do you really want to risk it?

Policies have changed for HAL and Princess. Just be prepared to go to the naughty room and either have your wine confiscated or pay $15 per bottle. Princess requests that you carry it on and there could be additional sanctions for smuggling. You may get lucky but with the new scanners, do you really want to risk it?

I'm not trying to avoid the corkage fee, I just don't want the hassle of hauling around a case of wine during the check in process.

I'm not trying to avoid the corkage fee, I just don't want the hassle of hauling around a case of wine during the check in process.

Well, good luck to you. How is Princess supposed to stamp your bottles if you don't carry them on? Please let us know what happened and if you got caught, what were the consequences?

Don't be surprised if Princess confiscates any amount of wine over 2 bottles. ALL of he cruise lines have clamped down on excess quantities over their listed limits. Wish ya'll luck!!

Princess nor HAL have limits. Bring on all the wine you want, just be prepared to pay corkage

We just got back yesterday from the Caribbean Princess 2/15 cruise. We put a wine box (equivalent to 4 bottles) in checked luggage and 2 bottles in carry on. No issues. Didn't search or say anything. Have the porters take your luggage when you get to port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

i carried two bottles on the 2/8 CB cruise. wife could have easily done the same. you are good for at least four. but all of this is nickles and dimes. we never drank our carry on wine and just paid the bar tab and wine bill at dinner. not a financial decision for us.

Edited by Sailin' Shoes

We just got back yesterday from the Caribbean Princess 2/15 cruise. We put a wine box (equivalent to 4 bottles) in checked luggage and 2 bottles in carry on. No issues. Didn't search or say anything. Have the porters take your luggage when you get to port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know....I plan on doing the same thing...so what if they confiscate the box in my luggage? I don't care if they make me pay a corkage fee either. It is just handier to have a box of wine in my room so I can sit on the balcony and have a glass. And....since I am not a wine connoisseur, as many "profess" to be, I will be just as happy with my box....as long as I get a wine glass, not a plastic one!

I am wondering what other's experiences have been bringing wine on board at this port. On many other FLL embarkations we have brought 12 to 16 bottles in our checked luggage without a problem. Never paid a corkage fee and had the luxury of having plenty of wine in our rooms for consumption during the day and evening on our balcony. Reading these message boards ( which is a new find for me) is causing me some concern. Just trying to plan ahead for a March cruise. Thanks!

From the sounds of it, you've known of the corkage fee policy for years, and you've gotten lucky around it so far. Just recognize that they may charge you, you've known about it for years, and it should be no surprise if they do charge. No reason for concern there, just a reason to reevaluate bringing so much wine aboard yourself. Easy peasy!

Don't be surprised if Princess confiscates any amount of wine over 2 bottles. ALL of he cruise lines have clamped down on excess quantities over their listed limits. Wish ya'll luck!!

I think it is enforced randomly at different ports. I recently did the Grand to HI 15 day out of SF. Took eight bottles packed in wine egg crate cardboard in my checked luggage. As I checked in I reported to the alcohol check desk that I had some wine. He wanted to see it but I told him it was in my checked luggage. He said ok and let me pass. No charges except for when I took a bottle to dinner. Otherwise kept it in room. We did drink some on deck with our coffee travel mugs. Another time at the bar in the piazza we asked for wine glasses and opened our own bottle, no problem.

Earlier boarding the Royal in FLL with 9 bottles of wine for a 7 day cruise, we were asked to pay $15 for every bottle over 4 (DS and his DW were cruising with us but did not like wine). We paid the difference. Not an issue. I had gone to TW the day before and picked out our wine. Total wine bill was around $150 at TW.

We will be boarding the CB this Saturday with probably 8 bottles of wine so we will see what happens. Like all our prior cuises, the wine will be only consumed on our balcony in the afternoon. We have always asked our room attendant for two wine glasses and (s)he has kept them clean all week. Very easily done.

• 3 months later...

All I want is one bottle of my friends favorite wine to have on her Birthday while on board.. Since we are flying to the port, any ideas for packing it safely. I read put a sock over it, then wrap it in a shirt. I could also wrap in bubble wrap. I have the newer luggage with the poly exterior. The only problem I see, is I'm going to have to unpack it at the cruise terminal, or should I just take the chance. I don't mind paying the $15, I just don't want to hassle with opening my suitcase out on the pavement. Anyone done that? Could I just tell them at security and let them sort it out?

Just take it in your carry on.

Yeah, that's not going to work for the airline. Not approved for carryon's

I think I'll leave it in the checked bag and just tell them. Someone else on here said that's what they did and security just waved them through

Hey there.

In April we took a 15 day from LA to Hawaii. Didn't know what the bar bill would be like after that many days and with most of them at sea. We hired a car to transport us from the airport to the port and asked that he stop at a liquior store. We picked up what we wanted there, then we just carried it on. I did wish that we had brought an empty case to put it in as the stay in the port was the longest we had, couple of hours.

Look or ask at your liquior store, they might have something you can pack it in.

Our cost at the supermarket here in Fresno for a bottle of Beringer is about $3.25 per bottle after 8% sales tax and with the 10% off for buying 6 bottles. On board, it is about $28 plus 15% gratuity. So, with corkage fee of $15, I pay $18 if I bring it on board myself versus $32 if purchased on board. Of course, it is way more convenient not to have to carry them on board or pack them.

Again, depends on what wine and how many and how much you value the convenience (and where you live....I hear Canada wine is much more expensive due to taxes). We for sure take the two bottles free of corkage fee on board with us in our carry-on, but not sure if we would take more than that, depending also on if they offer a wine package on that cruise to bring the costs down. Also, remember that if you have a port day on your last day before debarkation (such as Ensenada), you can bring any wine (as well as any liquor) for that last night on board with no problem.