This is going hurt , Canadian dollar dropping

Ex-Airbalancer

Update to this post

Just bought $350 US OBC for 362.50 Cdn. Heck of a lot better then converting on my credit card or at the bank.

This was at the Celebrity's Bon Voyage / Gifts department (800 242 6374) .I was told any unused amount will be placed back on my credit card.

Taking advantage of this great rate, I went on board with this 350 plus another 100 from Celebrity.

I wanted the 350 in cash understanding that the 100 had to be spent on board.

(Given that we had the drink package , pre-paid tips and a pre-paid excursion,

I knew we would have hardly any additional charges.)

They gave me a hassle and wanted to refund it to my card. This wasn't what I wanted.

I had to get insistent. Real insistent ! They gave my money.

Sorry to hear that they have adjusted the Cdn exchange rate to market rates. All good things must end.

Look on the bright side. CAD was strong for quite some time and we had many a cruise at par. I can remember a 65 cent CAD in the not too distant past. We took many cruises that were priced in USD and had numerous trips to the US.

Currency exchange is one factor when we are looking at vacation options. We delayed a trip to South Africa by a year or so and saved ourselves 20 percent on the land cost simply because of the relative currency values.

You bet IanCal. Interestingly when I booked Connie X gave me 1/2 cent premium on the Cdn $.

Carnival was offering an 8 cent discount which was 2 cents worse then the exchange rate at the time.

Add to that the drink package and woo hoo, I was smiling.:):)

Edited by richstowe

I live in a border city so we head to the States lots - mostly for dinners because the American restaurants are so much better priced than what we pay at home.

We are all conscious on the price of our dollar and yesterday it was trading at .91c so you buy US and keep it in your US account. Then in a while, when the dollar again rises, you buy more and average it out.

We also do this with cruising. Plus we have US$ charge cards so you don't have to pay the hidden conversion fees (usually around 2 1/2%).

I purchased $9 x $25 OBC off of the website over almost 2 months ago when it was showing a price of $25.90 per. I received a confirmation email but it did not state the price. It never showed up on my CC and today I get an email verifying my OBC and they have charged me $251.10, which is $27.90 per $25 us! It took them over a month to put this through and now they've charged me a higher price. Do you think if I call them they'll reduce the charge?

Also ordered on board credit when price was 25.90 per ( ordered March 10 ) Visa now billed $27.90 per $25.00 . Did Celebrity adjust your cost ??

The dollar has gone up almost half a cent today (currently 91.55).

Perhaps with the Quebec Election over we'll see some good news and a strengthening of our dollar?