What to do with 9 hours to kill in FLL

limace

You have a couple of options, but keep in mind that with a 6pm flight you will want to be at the airport by 4 and you can probably stay on the ship until 9:30 if you desire. So your 9 hours an be 6 1/2 hours :). As to options, most cruise lines have a Ft Lauderdale excursion (for those with later flights) where you get some kind of tour and they handle the luggage.

Another option is to simply rent a car for the day. You can store your luggage in the trunk and then you are free to explore the area. There are various things one can do in the Ft Lauderdale area (we have been underwhelmed and used to live near that city) such as visiting Sawgrass Mills (great if you like shopping), going to a beach, or just enjoying the region.

Hank

We don't fly out til 6 pm on our disembarkation day-what's the best way to spend the day? What can we do with our luggage? Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use HAL's luggage direct. That will take care of your luggage but you will still have to tote around your carryon. HAL also has tours that will eat up much of that time. Have a great cruise.

Use HAL's luggage direct. That will take care of your luggage but you will still have to tote around your carryon. HAL also has tours that will eat up much of that time. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the tips, all! I looked on their website for info about luggage direct but couldn't find a way to book it. Is this something we can do on the ship?

We usually do Luggage Direct so we don't have to worry about the luggage. The last time we were in your same situation we rented a car, drove to Sawgrass Mills and had a nice lunch. We still had time so we saw a movie and did some shopping. There are plenty of things to do around the Ft Lauderdale area and you can usually find a cheap car for the day. We take a cab to the airport to rent the car.

The last two years we took a HAL tour, great way to spend most of that time.

My sister and family did luggage direct and then spent the day flitting around on the watertaxis, and then took a cab to the airport. There are lots of options when you don't have luggage to worry about.

We rented a van, there were 6 of us, the cost was not much for the day, We got a shuttle at the airport for Alamo, (I think), and then stowed our luggage in the van, drove to where that wonderful water taxi is, and rode the waterways of FL L . you can ride them all day, transfer, get on, get off for only $18.00pp senior..... It was great, lots to see from the water, movie stars homes, and very expensive mansions, lots of scenery, it was a real surprise to us!! we transferred once, and went to a Bakery for lunch, then re boarded to go to where we started... We got back to the van, and drove to the airport where we turned in the van, and checked our luggage! Our flight home was way longer than the flight down!!

You have a couple of options, but keep in mind that with a 6pm flight you will want to be at the airport by 4 and you can probably stay on the ship until 9:30 if you desire. So your 9 hours an be 6 1/2 hours :). As to options, most cruise lines have a Ft Lauderdale excursion (for those with later flights) where you get some kind of tour and they handle the luggage.

Another option is to simply rent a car for the day. You can store your luggage in the trunk and then you are free to explore the area. There are various things one can do in the Ft Lauderdale area (we have been underwhelmed and used to live near that city) such as visiting Sawgrass Mills (great if you like shopping), going to a beach, or just enjoying the region.

Hank

I have the same situation flying out at 6:15 in 2 weeks. Only issue with HA excursions is that they have to drop you off at airport and some run for 4 hours like the one I like - land & sea excursion, so if I get dropped off by 1:30 , I will have an additional 21/2 hours to kill. I spoke to excursion dept yesterday. They can't drop you off anywhere. You'll have to be dropped off at the airport. Kinda silly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't remember for certain but I'm pretty sure when we did Luggage Direct two weeks ago the form stated it wasn't available for flights after 6pm. Maybe someone can confirm it for you before you go with that being your only plan.

My suggestion is to take a taxi to Las Olas Blvd. It's a beautiful street lined with nice shops and restaurants. You'll have no problem finding a nice place for lunch, indoors or outdoors. Have a nice glass of wine and people watch. :)

Ditto Aruba's suggestion of Las Olas Blvd. There is a water taxi stop right across from the Riverside Hotel and you can do that also. The Riverside has an outdoor café for lunch or a snack and lots going on in that area with many shops.

If the weather is nice, you might also stay on the water taxi for a complete round-trip. It takes about 2 hours and is a lovely ride through prime real estate in Fort Lauderdale. The guides often provide colorful if not entirely accurate commentary about the residents of the homes you pass along the ride.

My suggestion is to take a taxi to Las Olas Blvd. It's a beautiful street lined with nice shops and restaurants. You'll have no problem finding a nice place for lunch, indoors or outdoors. Have a nice glass of wine and people watch. :)

How far is it from The ship time wise to las olas via taxi ? I think I might just do that since HAL excursions HAVE to drop you off at airport even if you don't want to.

Thebes, we stay at Riverside on Los Olas. It's about a 20 minute ride, maybe less from the port. Have the taxi drop you off near the Riverside and work your way up the street. There's also a water taxi stop on Los Olas about two blocks from that hotel.

Thebes, we stay at Riverside on Los Olas. It's about a 20 minute ride, maybe less from the port. Have the taxi drop you off near the Riverside and work your way up the street. There's also a water taxi stop on Los Olas about two blocks from that hotel.

Ok. Thanks mama :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums