Last Minute Cruises

cperk97

We have always planed out a a cruise vacation a year plus in advance. I would like to know more information on last minute cruising. And I do mean last minute. Only a day or two before the cruise is set to leave. I know we will be giving up choices as to where our cabin would be and we are ok with that if we can get a great deal. I have checked the last few weeks for last minute cruises and the best I can find is booking two weeks out. Can anyone give me some help regarding booking last minute. Thank you in advance.

Jo Anne

As far as I can tell, "last minute" to a cruise line IS about two weeks out. When it's just a day or two, I think they all give up and figure they're sailing with the people they've got, and are busy with the upsells to try to get a few more dollars out of the people who are already planning to come.

I've sometimes noticed that it looks possible to book about a week out from Expedia but I've never tried it.

We have always planed out a a cruise vacation a year plus in advance. I would like to know more information on last minute cruising. And I do mean last minute. Only a day or two before the cruise is set to leave. I know we will be giving up choices as to where our cabin would be and we are ok with that if we can get a great deal. I have checked the last few weeks for last minute cruises and the best I can find is booking two weeks out. Can anyone give me some help regarding booking last minute. Thank you in advance.

Jo Anne

Right now I'm watching Breakaway feb 2 inside Gty $1128 for 2 ,port fees and tax included with a $25 OBC on the cruise lines website using the aarp discount . :)

Booked on a Monday for a cruise on Saturday ... paid less than half of what others paid a year out. If there is a price point that is good to you 1 week out then grab it. You might miss out completely if you wait too long.

The only down side to what I did was that I had to pay full airfare since I wasn't anywhere near the port.

met someone on my last cruise, NCL STAR, 2 weeks...they booked on the FRIDAY, before we left on SUNDAY.....their name wasn't even on the roster at the terminal....go ahead, guess which room they were given...they had a GTY....never sailed NCL, and straight into the OWNER'S SUITE.....good job NCL....i really liked these people and were happy for them....but, why is there a loyalty program exactly?

met someone on my last cruise, NCL STAR, 2 weeks...they booked on the FRIDAY, before we left on SUNDAY.....their name wasn't even on the roster at the terminal....go ahead, guess which room they were given...they had a GTY....never sailed NCL, and straight into the OWNER'S SUITE.....good job NCL....i really liked these people and were happy for them....but, why is there a loyalty program exactly?

Depends on what category guarantee they paid for.. It's possible they booked and paid for a suite guarantee and got the owners suite. Im guessing they didn't upgrade them from an inside cabin..

I have booked NCL including the Star out of NOLA more than once on the Thursday before leaving on Sunday.

I pretty much stay packed and could be ready to go within an hour if the opportunity presented.

There were no suites forthcoming however.

Depends on what category guarantee they paid for.. It's possible they booked and paid for a suite guarantee and got the owners suite. Im guessing they didn't upgrade them from an inside cabin..

I've never noticed or heard of a suite guarantee? Where would I find one? Interesting concept though.

Jo Anne

We sail from NY and right now the prices have been falling, not sure whats going on anyplace else. We watched the Breakaway for our 2-2 cruise and found the prices constantly fluctuated. We had friends on the cruise so we wanted to wait for a bargain but we had to make sure the ship didn't sell out. We booked about a month ago and the price for a balcony guarantee was 714.00 and today a week out its 599.00. Had we waited we could have saved a little but the peace of mind, in our case was worth it. I cant complain because we were assigned a handicapped balcony which happens to be the size of 2 cabins plus 2 balconies. I have also seen the prices go up in the last week, if the ship is almost sold out they will go up again. Good luck, hopefully you'll get a bargain that your happy with...Happy Sailing.

We sail from NY and right now the prices have been falling, not sure whats going on anyplace else. We watched the Breakaway for our 2-2 cruise and found the prices constantly fluctuated. We had friends on the cruise so we wanted to wait for a bargain but we had to make sure the ship didn't sell out. We booked about a month ago and the price for a balcony guarantee was 714.00 and today a week out its 599.00. Had we waited we could have saved a little but the peace of mind, in our case was worth it. I cant complain because we were assigned a handicapped balcony which happens to be the size of 2 cabins plus 2 balconies. I have also seen the prices go up in the last week, if the ship is almost sold out they will go up again. Good luck, hopefully you'll get a bargain that your happy with...Happy Sailing.

Call your travel agent and mention that you've seen the price drop and is there anything they can do? If you are polite and persistent, they might give you some OBC for the same cabin. Or offer an upgrade but you have to decide if you want it.

I've never noticed or heard of a suite guarantee? Where would I find one? Interesting concept though.

You might be right now that I think of it. I guess my point was they may have been upgraded from a aft penthouse (using that as an example because their the cheapest suites) to the owners suite but not from a inside, outside or balcony.. My friend got upgraded from Spa suite to the Haven by the pool.. No upgrade to the Haven for us as we booked a balcony.

they were upgraded from the least expensive cabin, not suite, on the ship.....there was too much paperwork involved and the butlers who handle the owners suite had no clue people were going to be in that suite for 2 weeks, until they showed up.....

Last month, I booked on Saturday for cruise (Spirit nine day) that left on the Sunday. Only inside cabins left, but I had the choice of them, and ended up with a huuuuge family room for one.

The single supplement was only 10%. The cruise cost was £35 plus taxes/fees of £180. I booked flight separately.....about £100 on easyjet.

TA sorted out the details on the Saturday and my room number was allocated/my edocs were ready by Saturday afternoon.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

I've met people who called the cruise line directly the day before embarkation and simply asked "What have you got?". They got an amazing rate and didn't know what cabin until they arrived at the pier. Key here is they spoke directly with the cruise line. Also, they were a 2 hour bus ride to the pier.... no airfare issues.

There is at least one (and probably more) website that deals in "last minute" cruises. Don't want to break any rules here so I won't post it, but it's easy to find. Have never used it, have no idea if it's any good or if the prices are as good as they should be.

Still watching !

Now down to $1108.02 plus $100 obc .

I booked this yesterday - the $100 OBC did it for me, and this crazy weather.

I booked directly with NCL and guy told me that all their insides are GTY right now and said it's usually a good sign that you'll probably get upgrade to an oceanview come room assignment time. Not sure how true that is, but I'm hoping.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Superbowl traffic on Sunday. There's a few streets in the area of the terminal that will be closed and limited access via Lincoln Tunnel. I plan on coming in from the south through Holland.

There was another thread from the person who got this upgrade and they were in a GTY inside and got the OS go figure

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by GeriC

I just looked at my eDocs and it says I got a midship balcony from my inside GTY. I'm happy with that. :D

Well played!

Just curious, do you typically get insides or do you typically get more expensive rooms?

Just trying to get an idea if it's random to get that sort of a bump up or if they look and see you have traditionally spent more on balcony rooms or suites?

Well played!

Just curious, do you typically get insides or do you typically get more expensive rooms?

Just trying to get an idea if it's random to get that sort of a bump up or if they look and see you have traditionally spent more on balcony rooms or suites?

First cruise was an oceanview on the Sky. On the Epic last December it was a large balcony. The one I have booked for next December is an inside. We're Silver level Latitude members if that matters.

I think this is the one njsonja is talking about. It was a guarantee inside to the owners suite.

Unbelievable Upgrade Experience, Thanks NCL! - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

I don't think the sales dept. gives a hoot about what your Latitude status is when they select who they will give an upgrade to at the last minute....

It is just what is easy and convenient for the person(s) doing the upgrades, so just luck of the draw.

Latitude status is mainly for the amount of perks you receive.