Getting into ANC Late at Night

CatgirlNC

Hi, CCers. Last year we did a 7-day R/T from Vancouver on HAL and of course we loved it and want to return to Alaska- this year to see more of the interior and also some of the Yukon- we really enjoyed learning about the gold rush on our cruise. So, I am researching land tours right now, and I think we have picked out what we want, but I'm still going a little research before we book anything.

I'm looking at flights to Anchorage (we'd be flying from here to Alaska to start the trip, then home from Vancouver), and it appears almost all the options get into ANC at 11:15PM, 12:43AM, etc. I really hate the idea of flying into a new city that late at night (not to mention it's going to feel 4 hours later to us), and having to get ourselves to the hotel, check in, etc.

But if there are so many flights arriving that time of night, maybe it's a common situation for travelers to be in? Would there still be cabs available? Are hotels there used to people checking in at all hours of the night because of flight arrival times?

I was worried too. I called our hotel and talked the the front desk about the shuttle, etc that late a night. The clerk assured me that many flights get in that late and that all the hotel shuttles, cabs, etc run late in to the night to accommodate travelers.

We arrived late at night ( almost midnight ) and had informed the B&B that we were staying at in advance ( Judy's Touch of Class ) and they seemed like it was no big deal at all and just left the light on for us with a note on the door.

http://www.judystouchofclassbnb.com/Judys_Touch_of_Class_Bed_and_Breakfast/Welcome.html

They were wonderful hosts and offered flight seeing for just a share of the cost of fuel ( I think we paid $60 total for an hour of flight seeing ) and had bikes we could borrow to ride the Tony Knowles Trail, offered a different delicious breakfast each morning,, etc.

When we landed, there was a line of taxis there waiting to take people and we got in the first mini van available and were out of there within minutes. I had the same worries before we went, but it was a non-issue arriving late at night!

We took US Airways from PHX to ANC and arrived at 12:40am. The airport was fairly busy with many travellers, despite the time of night. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Spenard. The hotel shuttle picked us up and we checked in with no problem. Like others have said, it's more common the west coast to have flights at that hour. No need to worry! :)

Hi, CCers. Last year we did a 7-day R/T from Vancouver on HAL and of course we loved it and want to return to Alaska- this year to see more of the interior and also some of the Yukon- we really enjoyed learning about the gold rush on our cruise. So, I am researching land tours right now, and I think we have picked out what we want, but I'm still going a little research before we book anything.

I'm looking at flights to Anchorage (we'd be flying from here to Alaska to start the trip, then home from Vancouver), and it appears almost all the options get into ANC at 11:15PM, 12:43AM, etc. I really hate the idea of flying into a new city that late at night (not to mention it's going to feel 4 hours later to us), and having to get ourselves to the hotel, check in, etc.

But if there are so many flights arriving that time of night, maybe it's a common situation for travelers to be in? Would there still be cabs available? Are hotels there used to people checking in at all hours of the night because of flight arrival times?

I suspect that you are looking at US Airways out of CLT. Take a look at other airlines. We are on Delta and arrive in ANC at 7:30 p.m. which is not really late.

Edited by zqvol

We also have a late arrival (11:30pm) into ANC in June. This is our 2nd trip into Anchorage at this time and it should still light outside until around 2am'ish. Feels like mid afternoon with the hub-bub of taxi's, people milling around, and alot of establishments still open late.

The planes arrive that late because many of the departures from Alaska back to the lower 48 also leave in that time frame. Most Alaskan's are cool with it as it allows you make connecting flights or arrive at your destination without losing a day to travel.

Don't forget that depending on when you are going it still may be light out when you arrive, especially in June. So it may be late but might not feel that way.

Exactly.

We arrived in ANC by train at 10:30pm, and by the time we got our luggage and got a taxi to our hotel, we checked in after midnight. It was still light out and was of no concern to the hotel staff.

I can tell you from experience for the last 30 1/2 years, total 36 years (25 being involved in ops at the airport) living here, the busiest time at Anchorage International is between 9 pm and 2 am. So, no problems coming in and then getting transportation.

Susan :-)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Sorry to jump in. What about car rentals? Are they open until midnight as well?

If you follow this link, it will show you what the counter hours are at the Anchorage Airport - most of them are open until at least 1:30 a.m., with a few to 2 a.m. and even some to 2:30 a.m.

http://dot.alaska.gov/anc/travelerInfo/rentalCars.shtml

Susan in Anchorage :)